• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2014-15 Banter Thread

Stormlover74

I mean physical pain. My friends who rely on me for weather info are gonna kill me when they have work tomorrow.

Lol, ouch. Thankfully my company decided to close premptively tomorrow sooo I'll be working from home. But yeah I will look like a fool to my dad and friends. Would be ideal to go into hiding for a week and wait for all the incoming backlash to blow over

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Christie is going to rip them a new one publicly and create so much ignorance and vitriol for the NWS. 

put to much faith on the euro. nam is garbage and they should have none better. every other model had it clipping nyc and killing li. the writing was on the wall for this

I have to say as I have been following the discussion of this storm over the past few days on this forum and others, in terms of models winning and losing, every model has gone back and forth over and over in the past few days. I guess GFS was the last to be consistent in having the storm go more east and cut down on Precip amounts to the west of NYC. But it also at one point had 30 inches coming into NYC and points north and west. So all I have to say is that no model handled this storm that well. 

I guess we just have to accept that we are human and that despite all we know, mother nature is very complicated and is going to do what she wants to do, and we cannot predict it sometimes just a day before, much less in the long range, as I think this winter will show after all of the early long range forecasts that we had for a very snowy winter for our area.

Some medicine for you winter weather fans: This winter was shaping up to be hopelessly snowless. So what that we didn't get a historic blizzard? Many of us have received a significant accumulation that would be respectable in any winter. No one should scoff at 6"-12".

It's easier to take it in perspective by thinking that if not for all the anticipation, we'd all be jumping for joy in a typical climo year for this storm, even with these "paltry" accumulations.

Don't invest your passion for weather and snow by focusing on the letdowns. There's a reason why we are drawn to this science, as professionals or just as amatuer observers. Don't punish yourselves for having this interest. Trust me, there are a lot of other hobbies that are much more of a letdown, not just in the time and emotional investment (gambling, drugs, etc)... Enjoy that you can enjoy the weather so much. If it still feels like a loss, consider how much you learned, and with the members on here that you share a passionate bond with, regardless of how much snow you have or don't have out your window. There will be other snowstorms, and probably other blizzards considering the climo that we are living through. Don't just relish the storms, relish the passion. No amount of failed jackpots can diminish that, but if it does... then you aren't a real weather geek. Ultimately, that's why we're here. 

I can't talk about weather to anyone for at least five years. It doesn't matter that the storm was just a tick east and slamming Central LI. It was a bust to the media, arts, and financial center of the world. 

Goddammit. 

I can't talk about weather to anyone for at least five years. It doesn't matter that the storm was just a tick east and slamming Central LI. It was a bust to the media, arts, and financial center of the world. 

Goddammit. 

Goddammit. 

Thank you. And Boston, take note of that. And your deflated footballs too.

Some medicine for you winter weather fans: This winter was shaping up to be hopelessly snowless. So what that we didn't get a historic blizzard? Many of us have received a significant accumulation that would be respectable in any winter. No one should scoff at 6"-12".

It's easier to take it in perspective by thinking that if not for all the anticipation, we'd all be jumping for joy in a typical climo year for this storm, even with these "paltry" accumulations.

Don't invest your passion for weather and snow by focusing on the letdowns. There's a reason why we are drawn to this science, as professionals or just as amatuer observers. Don't punish yourselves for having this interest. Trust me, there are a lot of other hobbies that are much more of a letdown, not just in the time and emotional investment (gambling, drugs, etc)... Enjoy that you can enjoy the weather so much. If it still feels like a loss, consider how much you learned, and with the members on here that you share a passionate bond with, regardless of how much snow you have or don't have out your window. There will be other snowstorms, and probably other blizzards considering the climo that we are living through. Don't just relish the storms, relish the passion. No amount of failed jackpots can diminish that, but if it does... then you aren't a real weather geek. Ultimately, that's why we're here. 

Comparing it to drugs and gambling is a rather low bar....but I used to get the same feeling fishing ( back when there were fish to be caught in numbers ) when all the conditions were right and I would get skunked. In those days we never had any respect for the NWS, because they made so many errors it cost us money in lost trips or severe discomfort when that North wind of 5 mph they called for was really NE at 15-20. They aren't much different today.

Mother Nature just served up a nice slice of humble pie. The evolution of the storm on the water vapor loop was a thing of beauty. However the radar returns hitting a brick wall on the Jersey/NYC border has to be the worst since 2001 for me. Congrats Long Island; I hope you guys clean up. Back to lurking and learning for a while.

Christie is going to rip them a new one publicly and create so much ignorance and vitriol for the NWS. 

And having to listen to him just makes this worse. it's always someone else's fault. This fits right in with his act. He will be right, for once. I mean, it has robbed him of the chance to look like he is dealing with a crisis effectively at a time when the mask is off and most folks realize he is just another blowhard.

Mother Nature just served up a nice slice of humble pie. The evolution of the storm on the water vapor loop was a thing of beauty. However the radar returns hitting a brick wall on the Jersey/NYC border has to be the worst since 2001 for me. Congrats Long Island; I hope you guys clean up. Back to lurking and learning for a while.

Yes, it was that bad. But 2/6/10 is the one this reminds me of. That has now been surpassed. Because the most I was supposed to get from that one was 8-12 ( actually got 3 ) while we were talking12-24 this time.

Im really pisses because im off from work and wanted to enjoy a blizzard. I was excitedly like a child on christmas when everyone was predicting 20+. Upton also used the word crippling. I need my hours of sleep back. Stayed up all the time for the 6z runs.

I was thinking you could tell me when this retarted driving ban was over so i could go home and do this thing called sleep i heard it's important

Archived