• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December obs/disco/short range

Ian

Our last four Decembers at BWI (including this one) have temperature departures of +5.5, +6.0, +2.9, and +3.6 (so far). Snow totals for the 4 years combined were a whopping 4.5 inches... there may be a 5 year December snow futility record in there if combined with Dec. 2010 but I'd have to check.

Also... of the 42 Decembers that finished with less than a half inch of snow, only 11 of those (26.2%) ended up with above average snowfall for the season. The entire dataset for BWI has 132 winters, with 61 of those (46.2%) having above average snowfall.

Happy New Year.

Those are some depressing stats.  Minus some BIG event later on in the winter, I don't think there is any chance of matching climo, much less exceeding it.  This just has the all too common feel of previous wretched winters when we're stuck in terrible patterns.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't the CFSv2 show exactly that back in the fall?

it did

the last week or 2 it went colder for JAN but now it is back to normal and the warm area to the south is creeping north.....but, it's getting wetter for JAN fwiw

FEB is cold  :bag:

this winter has felt like and is starting to look like 94/95 NINO

We hiked Old Rag out near Sperryville. We saw a lot of evidence of bear activity including scat and tracks, but this was the only one we saw. Just a beautiful day.

For the obs thread, a high of 3,284'. ;)

Great hike, isn't it?  Awesome that you got a bear sighting.  I hiked that 2 days after T-day.  Saw lots of tracks due to the snow, but no wildlife.  Amazing scenery though.  Hit the snow-line about 1000' or so, and by about 1600' got to full snow depth of about 8 inches.  We took the backside route (up the fire trail) to the peak and stayed on the shade side.  Trail was treacherous and made for a great adventure.  Best hiking of my life.

EMAkoIw.jpg

W8xSTpM.jpg

bpnlGSH.jpg

me and my brother (foreground) nearing the peak.

s0BJ4lH.jpg

A view looking west on the way up the trail

it did

the last week or 2 it went colder for JAN but now it is back to normal and the warm area to the south is creeping north.....but, it's getting wetter for JAN fwiw

FEB is cold  :bag:

this winter has felt like and is starting to look like 94/95 NINO

Warm winter with one good storm in Feb. I can see that happening.

CFS showed everything at one point.

in most years, that would be a correct statement, but not this year

starting with the first time the month of DEC came intgo range of the monthly forecasts, CFS2 has been in the normal range twice and AN 3 or 4 months

in OCT, when many people started issuing their seasonal forecasts, CFS2 was above normal for DEC and never lost that AN forecast

its last forecast for the month of DEC was issued in early DEC and is below

say what you want, CFS2 has not forecasted BN for the combined months of DEC-FEB at all this year, so it has not done bad so far

usT2mMonInd1.gif

All hail the CFSv2 !  lol.  Time to ride that horse from now on.  Winterwxlvr will be so happy.

well, "if" it is right with its JAN forecast, be prepared for more of the same (no snow of consequence), only a little AN temps

I sure as he!! hope it is wrong, but has been persistently warmer than normal contrary to most winter forecasts this year

Getting a below normal winter (DJF) is going to be tough when we've got a +3-4 on the board for the 1st month.

Safe to say everyone in the east has resigned to just figure out how to salvage a disaster in general. If we get a nice wintry period that drops an adv and warn level event we can all pack it up and start discussing wedge season. By wedge I mean CAD spring.

in most years, that would be a correct statement, but not this year

starting with the first time the month of DEC came intgo range of the monthly forecasts, CFS2 has been in the normal range twice and AN 3 or 4 months

in OCT, when many people started issuing their seasonal forecasts, CFS2 was above normal for DEC and never lost that AN forecast

its last forecast for the month of DEC was issued in early DEC and is below

say what you want, CFS2 has not forecasted BN for the combined months of DEC-FEB at all this year, so it has not done bad so far

usT2mMonInd1.gif

I don't look at it religiously. It was certainly advertising a warm December early in the month for pretty much everyone in the country. Then again it was also advertising the pattern change around now too. But so was other long range guidance. 

Archived