• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2014/15 Winter Banter and General Observations

Baroclinic Zone

Well what train is that? All I am saying is that I think we will have our shots this month. I'm not swallowing a cannon at the moment. If we get screwed so be it. When I looked at the long range this time in 2011...I knew we were screwed. I don't have the same feeling at all right now. I do see reasons how it could suck..but those reasons don't look insurmountable IMO.

I made a comment to Ray at the GTG about someone of your stature in regards to posting about LR. It's one thing if a novice puts their thoughts on record. Easy to retract. People are like vultures and only hear what they want.

Personally I think you where spot on and to be complimented on the forecast. Me also thinks unfortunately could be the last given what has transpired in the forum.    

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I made a comment to Ray at the GTG about someone of your stature in regards to posting about LR. It's one thing if a novice puts their thoughts on record. Easy to retract. People are like vultures and only hear what they want.

Personally I think you where spot on and to be complimented on the forecast. Me also thinks unfortunately could be the last given what has transpired in the forum.

wut? Is he moving to Fla too?

Snow is fun, that's why people are disappointed in the outcome if it doesn't lead to snow, because snow is fun and rain is dumb.  Ok off the simple wagon.  I have always been in the same thought process as Scott in regards to the pattern change.  SREFs still have the 31st storm on track for bringing .50" of QPF to Cape Cod and the South Coast of SNE.  I don't care, I'm not giving up on this event as long as the SREFs and NAM stay bullish even into their short range capabilities.  As long as their is support there is a chance for snow.  That's the pattern change Scott is alluding too, we have our first shot at snow even though most models are southeast of most, but SREFs mean is showing spread  to the northwest with the surface low.

Snow is fun, that's why people are disappointed in the outcome if it doesn't lead to snow, because snow is fun and rain is dumb. Ok off the simple wagon. I have always been in the same thought process as Scott in regards to the pattern change. SREFs still have the 31st storm on track for bringing .50" of QPF to Cape Cod and the South Coast of SNE. I don't care, I'm not giving up on this event as long as the SREFs and NAM stay bullish even into their short range capabilities. As long as their is support there is a chance for snow. That's the pattern change Scott is alluding too, we have our first shot at snow even though most models are southeast of most, but SREFs mean is showing spread to the northwest with the surface low.

You're enthusiasm is awesome...however don't take this the wrong way. The SREFS generally suck. Like a lot. It has been noted in several instances on this board over the past couple of years just how bad they are. They had an "upgrade" that just completely wrecked them like 1-2 years ago. We used to check them all the time back in like 2007-2008 and we discussed them a lot on the boards...but there's a reason no one comments on them. They are so bad they can make the GGEM look like the ECMWF.

I would also be cautious of continuously posting about very low probability outcomes on this forum...it will likely be met with some resistance as you have found. It can be interpreted as wishcasting.

I thought the graphic from noaa was great. historically if Boston has 3.9" or less on January 1 about 50% of those winters ended up with 20" or less.

Overall it's hard to argue that historically this little snow by 1/1 is favorable as the historical odds are grim. Not sure why it caused such a ruckus as every year is different. Maybe this year will be one of the statistical anomalies.

Who knows how the winter goes but at least here I'm tempering my expectations as each day passes while hoping for OES or a big hitter or two.

I'll retire warm. The body is increasingly resisting winter. So I need some big ones before I go.

In the 20 years I have known you you have retired anywhere from the Arctic circle to Belize. I will know when you have retired when I am at your memorial service ( although you will be at mine first probably)

Patiently waiting for winter reload.  Today's low of 24F will be from this morning.  31F at 9pm and now up to 34F as clouds move in. 

Part of my criteria for a good winter doesn't rely on snow alone.  If I don't see a zero or below reading I don't hand out A grades no matter how much snow falls. 

Although today was deviant and delightful for yard work I still like winter weather regardless of my snow totals. 

you can not pay me enough,ever

Agree.

I'll retire warm. The body is increasingly resisting winter. So I need some big ones before I go.

Just retire somewhere snowy,with a wood stove as you'll have the money to afford a local to plow you out. Wood heat is good for the muscles and good for the soul.  Five years into my current relationship with wood heat (there were past flings) and I cannot imagine life without it. 

37F. -RA. .10" so far.

I can't recall a rainier December. It rains twice a week.

I don't usually get too emotionally involved with weather but if we switched to a cold dry pattern I may blow a gasket. lol

Last January was like that.  Like 4-5 different rain events starting the Xmas week through the end of January.  Mixed in with brutal cold and record low snow.  It'll be hard to beat that for a noose tying month.

Well the bottom line is that it'll be colder than it has been.

BTV has had 2 below normal days in almost the past 3 weeks...though with 21" of snow this month despite +4.1 temps.

Those temps are also below average even if you took them at face value. You have to remember that a place like CEF at the floor of the valley still has avg high around 35-36F

Archived