• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Thanksgiving Week Storm (Wed/Wed night)

ORH_wxman

RAP has been trending steadily colder in the mid-levels for this afternoon...I think the pike region will still be holding onto all snow through about 5pm...it's even pretty close at 00z. Previous runs that had H7 temps around +2 or +3 now are pretty much 0C.

It will be interesting to watch.

• Replies 857
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RAP has been trending steadily colder in the mid-levels for this afternoon...I think the pike region will still be holding onto all snow through about 5pm...it's even pretty close at 00z. Previous runs that had H7 temps around +2 or +3 now are pretty much 0C.

It will be interesting to watch.

It even kept Steve and I all snow except for one hour. The only guidance to do that...

Looks good. Is that created separately from their individual CWA maps, or are they just lined up together?

BTV often posts it on their social media FB/Twitter feeds.  BTV often posts that in snow/rain events, they have some good regional graphics.

Its just pulled from the regional database I think and merges the FO's snowfall graphics.

Does above 0c temps at 7h always mean that snow won't make it through? Or does it have to be at least 50mb tall or 100mb tall or some other height?

Well if the layer was extremely thin (say under 300 meters), then the snow would survive it, but if it is greater than that, it will melt out.

Does above 0c temps at 7h always mean that snow won't make it through? Or does it have to be at least 50mb tall or 100mb tall or some other height?

Good question that I've been wondering myself, though at any height.  We know snow can survive a shallow above freezing layer at the surface (it's happening right now), so presumably flakes could make it through a shallow warm layer higher up.

Archived