• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
December-winter is finally here!

weathafella

Think so...along that route 12 corridor.  Geologically I think it's also part of the Canadian Shield, as are the ADKs.

I drove through there in August on my way to Ottawa.

Some of the areas south of BUF have elevation, too, however...maybe not quite as much as the Tug, but some. 

I know the Tug is related to the Adirondacks, but isn't there a valley in between? Black River Valley?

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Think so...along that route 12 corridor.  Geologically I think it's also part of the Canadian Shield, as are the ADKs.

I drove through there in August on my way to Ottawa.

Are the Adirondacks the highest remnant of the Canadian Shield?

Most of the mountains in Quebec are pretty low...although there are some decent elevations north of Quebec City and then again north of the Saguenay River near Chicoutimi. Those areas must be incredibly snowy. I know there is a web-cam in Jacques Cartier Park north of Quebec City...

I went hiking near the Saguenay on June 10th once and still found snow above 2000'. The highest elevations reached to 3000' and had solid snow cover.

Not the highest:  "The range's highest peak is Nunavut's Barbeau Peak at 2,616 metres (8,583 ft) above sea level."

I was at Lac Jacques Cartier in late August of '12. There aren't many hardwoods anymore, but the paper birches were already yellow.

Above a certain elevation in that park it's basically a boreal forest.

Are the Adirondacks the highest remnant of the Canadian Shield?

Most of the mountains in Quebec are pretty low...although there are some decent elevations north of Quebec City and then again north of the Saguenay River near Chicoutimi. Those areas must be incredibly snowy. I know there is a web-cam in Jacques Cartier Park north of Quebec City...

I went hiking near the Saguenay on June 10th once and still found snow above 2000'. The highest elevations reached to 3000' and had solid snow cover.

To each their own. I take looking outside to snowpack for a good portion of most winters

Ankle deep eroded slop for a couple months vs 100 inches of snow in November with 3+ more months of winter to follow?

We're on I-90 near Erie PA heading back through Chatauqua and Erie counties in the next hour. Some remnant plowed snow on the side of the road in PA. I'll see how much has melted since we left on Monday morning.

Not the highest:  "The range's highest peak is Nunavut's Barbeau Peak at 2,616 metres (8,583 ft) above sea level."

I was at Lac Jacques Cartier in late August of '12. There aren't many hardwoods anymore, but the paper birches were already yellow.

Above a certain elevation in that park it's basically a boreal forest.

That is a beautiful mountain...I know the Arctic/Canadian Archipelago has some very high peaks. 

Most of the forest in the higher elevations around the Saguenay is coniferous...the lower elevations in the river valley have a lot of maple trees. That is also the northern limit of agriculture in Canada as I worked at an organic farm just north of the Saguenay River. Very beautiful scenery and fascinating climate. 

That's some highway they have built right to Saguenay (aka Chicoutimi) now. I was shocked to see a major hwy through there. When I there in the 80's of course it was just a two lane road.

That is a beautiful mountain...I know the Arctic/Canadian Archipelago has some very high peaks. 

Most of the forest in the higher elevations around the Saguenay is coniferous...the lower elevations in the river valley have a lot of maple trees. That is also the northern limit of agriculture in Canada as I worked at an organic farm just north of the Saguenay River. Very beautiful scenery and fascinating climate. 

That's some highway they have built right to Saguenay (aka Chicoutimi) now. I was shocked to see a major hwy through there. When I there in the 80's of course it was just a two lane road.

I was there in 2006 when they had the highway but were doing a lot of major construction on it...It was a really fast drive, though, with lots of truck traffic. Probably an ecological nightmare but that has become a significant corridor for shipping of timber and other industry. 

Highway 20 between Montreal and Quebec also moves fast. Was driving around 100mph and got passed several times.

I was there in 2006 when they had the highway but were doing a lot of major construction on it...It was a really fast drive, though, with lots of truck traffic. Probably an ecological nightmare but that has become a significant corridor for shipping of timber and other industry. 

Highway 20 between Montreal and Quebec also moves fast. Was driving around 100mph and got passed several times.

When I used to drive the 45 miles on 20 between St.-Alexandre and St.-Jean-Port-Joli (when the woods route to St.-Pamphile was closed in early spring), I was convinced the drivers were converting the 100 kph speed limit to mph backwards.  In a dozen or so round trips I passed exactly two vehicles - the first was a station wagon full of nuns in habit, the second was during a ground blizzard when snow blowing thru the engine compartment froze the throttle linkage wide open on my pickup.  (Fortunately, the little 6-cyl couldn't push the full size PU all that fast into the 30-40 mph wind.)

Driving up from Princeton, Waze took us aroundqlot of traffic and up through westchester passingly Dobbs ferry, mt kisco, Brewster. Once you get above Dobbs the snow increases and on the ct/ny line in 84 it's deepest until you get to ORH country. Nice to see it. Also nice to come home to unadulterated snow on the deck.

Driving up from Princeton, Waze took us aroundqlot of traffic and up through westchester passingly Dobbs ferry, mt kisco, Brewster. Once you get above Dobbs the snow increases and on the ct/ny line in 84 it's deepest until you get to ORH country. Nice to see it. Also nice to come home to unadulterated snow on the deck.

Nice, keep an eye out for Tuesday and Saturday,sneaky cold and overrunning could surprise. Cold overperforming.

Yeah, sometimes going over 287 or up the Saw Mill can be better than sticking to the major highways like the Cross Bronx/95. 

Still about 1" of snow on the ground here in Dobbs Ferry. I'm up in elevation though so there's not as much downtown or where the Saw Mill passes. The hill to the west side of the Saw Mill is right where I live.

Archived