• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
December-winter is finally here!

weathafella

Everyone was liking the way things had trended colder..the Euro ens looked colder..and the feeling seemed to be a more wintry appeal..now this morning the GEFS totally flipped and absolutely torch us with 50's for like 5-10 days after looking good for so long

I have a feeling if that Typhoon recurves it changes everything..and models are having trouble resolving that

It was colder for like two days lol. That's Steve in fantasy land. All I said was that it's not pretty. Too big of a GOAK trough. However with a +PNA, the far interior can always have a shot. Got to get a -NAO

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was colder for like two days lol. That's Steve in fantasy land. All I said was that it's not pretty. Too big of a GOAK trough. However with a +PNA, the far interior can always have a shot. Got to get a -NAO

And you even mentioned a possibility the 10-12th.. Just gonna have to watch that phoon and see what it does

Everyone was liking the way things had trended colder..the Euro ens looked  colder..and the feeling seemed to be a more wintry appeal..now this morning the GEFS totally flipped and absolutely torch us with 50's for like 5-10 days after looking good for so long

I have a feeling if that Typhoon recurves it changes everything..and models are having trouble resolving that

Sometimes you have to lean on the side of persistence.

WTF are you referring to here? I believe you have been saying Dec 10th for two weeks. Just like you to throw people under the bus though.

It's not surprising that models are warm given the classic Nino-look matches our El Nino...but it is still a bit surprising to see the GEFS as warm as it is given its MJO forecast. I'm wondering if the Nino forcing without blocking (especially this time of year) is so strong that it can even override an amplified MJO passage into phases 7-8-1. Sometimes the tropics don't win out.

I still expect that the MJO would have some influence and the megatorch doesn't last all that long, however. With the +PNA perhaps some can get lucky and sneak a storm in. And as Dave's post in the main forum suggests, an MJO that strong really should have more of an impact than is being implied on the models.

The Euro doesn't recurve that Typhoon -- the rest of the guidance does, though. We'll see. 

Yes I threw it out there as low confidence and I was bored . Still possible. I see no reason to panic. Weenies out of control.

Let it be noted I'm not panicking and I think modeling is way, way too warm as we've seen all summer and fall. I don't think it's a cold pattern but even normal this time of year can yield snow/ice events. I think New Eng is the best place to be until the country turns cold after the 10th

Let it be noted I'm not panicking and I think modeling is way, way too warm as we've seen all summer and fall. I don't think it's a cold pattern but even normal this time of year can yield snow/ice events. I think New Eng is the best place to be until the country turns cold after the 10th

well we know who will flip flop and then say low confidence. No balls calls. At least you have a set.

I think we'll have to push that back a bit. The 10th may be early for widespread colder pattern in the conus. Might be more like 15-20th and beyond.

well we know who will flip flop and then say low confidence. No balls calls. At least you have a set.

Doesnt win you anything in meteorology for having "a set" in low confidence long range forecasting.

Except to look foolish a bit more often than already happens in this field naturally.

Doesnt win you anything in meteorology for having "a set" in low confidence long range forecasting.

Except to look foolish a bit more often than already happens in this field naturally.

meh,if you don't know just say it. I can throw people under the bus too.It's funny when some discuss LR modeling it's a forecast but when others do it's low confidence discussion. Weenies out of control, bad reading comprehension etc.

If he has is heart set on salvaging winter for the next two weeks, its going to be a long first half of the month. 

meh,if you don't know just say it. I can throw people under the bus too.

The LR is really about probabilistic forecasting. The problem is that most general public and weenies don't like that. They want deterministic forecasts. The science isnt there yet. There's occasional times where it's almost a slam dunk for a certain pattern two weeks out but that is fairly rare

Archived