amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
December-winter is finally here!

weathafella

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jimmy, how much snow is left OTG in and around Buffalo from the Lake Effect?

I'm not sure about the southtowns but when I was on the northside of town in Niagra, NY we got 3.5" on the ground from Thursday night snowfall, but other than that nothing, but the areas that got hit hard, I wasn't able to visit so I don't know from personally seeing it, but I'm guessing there is still substantial snow on the ground over Hamburg, Eden and Batavia, NY region.

Yeah, its possible I'm being a bit pessimistic. I am just not thrilled about the next month in our area. Marginal even in December for this area isn't a recipe for success. I could see PF cleaning up though to be honest

As far as I'm concerned, we waste the last couple of weeks of the climatologically hostile period for the sne cp; fine by me.

Reload when we can play ball and see a white xmas, and waste the cutters and would be grinchers now.

Bet it was largely wiped out. They get a lot of snow in these Western NY snowbelts, but on any given day during the winter you can't count on much snow pack. The torches are brutal there. That climate wouldn't be for me.

Me either. I mean what good is snow if it falls and is gone in 2 days? It's about building and retaining

Bet it was largely wiped out. They get a lot of snow in these Western NY snowbelts, but on any given day during  the winter you can't count on much snow pack. The torches are brutal there. That climate wouldn't be for me.

Those are the southern Buffalo metro snow belts...I don't think the Tug is nearly as bad, though that area certainly doesn't demonstrate the CAD prowess that NE does.

Those are the southern Buffalo metro snow belts...I don't think the Tug is nearly as bad, though that area certainly doesn't demonstrate the CAD prowess that NE does.

The Tug is a lot colder because the SW flow is blocked by the Alleghany range...also it's at a much higher latitude so it's less susceptible to torches coming through the Ohio Valley.

Yeah I'd love to live thru it and witness it in person and then high tail it the hell back east when the chinook hits 3 days later

:lol: Exactly.

The Tug is a lot colder because the SW flow is blocked by the Alleghany range...also it's at a much higher latitude so it's less susceptible to torches coming through the Ohio Valley.

Right, agreed.

The Tug is a big Snowmobiling Area, so you are correct when you say it isn't as bad. It gets alot of snow, and keeps it much longer, that's why Old Forge and the Tug Hill Plateau are popular snowmobiling areas for many.

Just live in the hills south of buffalo with some elevation. Around perryburg they average 200-300+ inches a year and rarely lose snow cover. I just don't understand people's fascination with snow depth unless you snowmobile, ski, snowboard, etc...what benefit is there to looking outside and seeing snow on the ground? I'm all about huge snowfall events, insane snowfsll rates, and thunder snow. That's why loosing that snow cover had no effect on me. If I want to board or ski I got 40 mins south to ellicottvile in holiday valley from nov to April which I try to get down to a few times a month.

Nice transition from the MA to SNE coming up off the NJ Turnpike and then up 91 through southern CT.  Upper 30s until I hit the snow on the ground and the temp crashed to 30 or 31 and stayed there all the way home up through Mass.  Really a nice experiment in cryo dimming in the lower atmosphere.  

Snow gracing tree limbs and on the ground heading into a blue tinted sunset during TG weekend. Nice!  

Then I get home and after a cursory observation of modeling and teles?   Bye bye snow.  

Looks to me like mid December on should get more active again, though ... perhaps even earlier ... after the 8th or 9th.  Pretty impressive GEFs signaled +PNA ...every member within a fraction of SDs right out to D15 as the index goes from -.5 to +1.5. By then, the GEFs MJO try to bring the MJO wave space around into the 7th/8th spaces.  With the NAO and EPO flat/+ during that time, maybe we'll see the onset of a more typical warm ENSO circulation ...at least for a time.  Even if so, I still think we get these blocking nodes and they'll tend to emerge and then the tele derivatives sometimes catch on later...ha!

But it looks like AOA norms with some transitory cool/warm flipping us above and below 0850 by smaller margins until then.  

The Tug has elevation also as geologically it is an extension of the ADKs. Now if you go southwest into the lake plain areas off Ontario such  as Oswego, Pulaski, etc. they torch off pretty good, but not as bad as the BUF belts.

Oh Id' love to experience it. Last March I stayed at a Comfort Inn off the Thruway in Hamburg when I was there for work...no snow but it was late season.. I bet that would have been a good place to camp out for a few days. Then I can return east to my snowpack. :) 

I get few inch doses off Ontario sometimes and have a 30 minute 'white out' thrill, but just as it sweeps through after mutilating areas northwest of here for a day.

Receiving 7+ feet of snow In 3 days is crazy. Something I never thought I would ever see. Close to 100 inches and December hasn't even started. Who else can say that happened to them?!?? Craziness!

The Tug has elevation also as geologically it is an extension of the ADKs. Now if you go southwest into the lake plain areas off Ontario such  as Oswego, Pulaski, etc. they torch off pretty good, but not as bad as the BUF belts.

Some of the areas south of BUF have elevation, too, however...maybe not quite as much as the Tug, but some. 

I know the Tug is related to the Adirondacks, but isn't there a valley in between? Black River Valley?

Archived