• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Late Thu night/Early Fri light snow

ORH_wxman

18z GFS is pretty good...don't pay attention to the sfc temps on it. It's pretty cold at 900-950mb...easily snow even to the lower elevations except maybe right on the southeast coast.

That would probably be a widespread coating to 2 inches.

That is what Eric Fisher just posted hes concerned about an overachiever. Hope it happens, like I said before Fri/Sat will be fun with cold/winds and snow blowing around.

• Replies 863
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would if temps stayed below freezing and no snow, my driveway slopes side to side, slippery as hell with a compacted inch. Temps in the mid 30s and sun so probably won't although dews in the low 20s probably wont promote much melting but Mondays wash will take care of that.

It would have to be really cold for it to not melt on pavement in full sunlight in November.

The RGEM map is a 48hr water eq. Remember that is in (mm) .25mm ~ =.10"  with marginal temps. ???? just saying

Well there's a lot of 5mm area...which would be more like 0.20" of qpf...so I think a C-2" forecast at the moment isn't terrible. I'd probably stress more C-1" for now until we get closer and that last minute "Blow up" that a lot of guidance is trying to show trends better.

The RGEM map is a 48hr water eq. Remember that is in (mm) .25mm ~ =.10"  with marginal temps. ???? just saying

Should have pointed out that that map is QPF that falls as snow according to the meteocentre algorithms, which are much better than the Wxbell ones. Most of SNE is 2.5-5mm so .1-.2" as snow or ~1-2" and parts are 5-7.5mm so 2-3" snow. Here is total QPF.

PR_000-048_0000.gif

Just a couple of comments.  Sun angle on Nov 14 is pretty darn low.  We are only 5 weeks away from solstice.  So it would be about the same sun angle as Feb 1.   I seem to remember that the sun will really start eating at snowbanks by mid Feb so I don't think sun angle will be a big deal.  The other thing that I find over rated is warm soil temperatures. At marginal temps snow is going to have a hard time sticking to asphalt etc.  but I find even in 1 mile type light  snow it will stick very quickly to things not right on the surface like blades of grass and items that cool down quick like metal. Up here in the foothills even after a string of 50F days if we get a good snow shower it will stick quick. As soon as it lets up the snow will melt from the bottom up if the soil is really warm.  Anyhow just some misc musings!

Archived