joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 14/15 Banter & Complaint Thread

Whitelakeroy

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LAF went from a foot+ of snow to 55˚ and rain...on pretty much all of the models...like 60 hours or so out from the storm. That one put "NW trend" into every weather weenie's dictionary.

I don't really mind a repeat of the storm, at this time of the year...plus it'd get cyclone off the schneid. But I'd rather do without a repeat of the model histrionics. :lol:

EDIT: I was sorta wrong, it was 12-03-2006 on the list. But same thing basically.

LAF went from a foot+ of snow to 55˚ and rain...on pretty much all of the models...like 60 hours or so out from the storm. That one put "NW trend" into every weather weenie's dictionary.

I don't really mind a repeat of the storm, at this time of the year...plus it'd get cyclone off the schneid. But I'd rather do without a repeat of the model histrionics. :lol:

EDIT: I was sorta wrong, it was 12-03-2006 on the list. But same thing basically.

I remember that 84 hour NAM run (must've been 12z on Nov 27 or 28) that looked like trouble in warm way.  You hope it's just the NAM being the NAM, until...

I remember that 84 hour NAM run (must've been 12z on Nov 27 or 28) that looked like trouble in warm way.  You hope it's just the NAM being the NAM, until...

Yeah, I remember the NAM being the first one to blink. Then they all followed suit...and it was curtains for us. Never did see a flake of snow in LAF from that storm.

that was a fun winter with lots of dynamic systems, no?

ORD had 0.0" of snow from December 2 to January 14 that winter. And it was an absolute torch during that time. Then it got progressively colder and snowier...leading into one of the coldest Febuaries on the books. Feb 6 had a "very cold" clipper that dropped 6.0" here. And then, the Feb 13-14 blizzard was a "one shining moment" for the LAF. 

Inside of 48 hours, if you are under the gun from a southern approaching winter storm, the NAM is the canary in the mineshaft when it comes to last minute nw spoilers.   We've all been there....hoping that it's just the NAM being the NAM....*gulp* :yikes:

Snowday at college in Peoria with this one. Dragged 2 kegs 4 blocks on a sled as the roads were impassible.

lol, nice.

Yeah the only meaningful snow in Nov I can remember, other than a few inches here and there was Thanksgiving night back in the early 90s.  It was the same Thanksgiving that dumped snow on the Cowboys game.  We were supposed to have freezing rain that night, and ended up with several inches of wet snow.  Was a nice surprise.

White stuff (flurries, light snow) has been in the air almost constantly for much of the last week, we have been below freezing all of that time, yet we have almost completely bare ground to show for it.  It's tough to see so many places get blitzed with snow when we get flakes that disintegrate into the ground if they make it there, and as much or more bitter cold than many of these same places (Buffalo and much of W Michigan probably didn't see below zero wind chills).  If next week bombs out with no snows over 2", I may start lighting up this thread because if there's one November we should see a lot of snow, it would be this one and so far it's a continuation of last year's winter season.  Join me on this dark side, Cyclone and the Chicago peeps. :devilsmiley::axe:

Back in those days, the NAM was pretty reliable for sniffing out a NW trend...

To be perfectly honest, I kind of miss those days. They beat the hell out of the bi-polar model solutions we've been getting lately. At least you knew which way you were going to get screwed several days outs.

White stuff (flurries, light snow) has been in the air almost constantly for much of the last week, we have been below freezing all of that time, yet we have almost completely bare ground to show for it.  It's tough to see so many places get blitzed with snow when we get flakes that disintegrate into the ground if they make it there, and as much or more bitter cold than many of these same places (Buffalo and much of W Michigan probably didn't see below zero wind chills).  If next week bombs out with no snows over 2", I may start lighting up this thread because if there's one November we should see a lot of snow, it would be this one and so far it's a continuation of last year's winter season.  Join me on this dark side, Cyclone and the Chicago peeps. :devilsmiley::axe:

Nah I'm good

You light up storm threads when it should be in this thread. 

It's only November though...:facepalm:

How much snow does Milwaukee average in November?

It's only November though... :facepalm:

How much snow does Milwaukee average in November?

Last 19 years, pretty much nothing lol.  Still doesn't take away the fact that fall, which is the most boring season to begin with, has to last even longer because we have to wait until December for our first legit snow threat.  Our last 18 Novembers before this one, I think the most snow we have had in November has been 3.0".  Our old average was around 3.5" (that has since changed for obvious reasons).  I thought this was the November that could change but now it may even be tough this year (though obviously have a pretty good chance of doing so).

Why would the Chicago people join you if it's a continuation of last year's winter season?  :wacko:

Last 19 years, pretty much nothing lol.  Still doesn't take away the fact that fall, which is the most boring season to begin with, has to last even longer because we have to wait until December for our first legit snow threat.  Our last 18 Novembers before this one, I think the most snow we have had in November has been 3.0".  Our old average was around 3.5" (that has since changed for obvious reasons).  I thought this was the November that could change but now it may even be tough this year (though obviously have a pretty good chance of doing so).

michsnowfreak has the exact years and numbers, but Detroit has had numerous abnormally cold Novembers that were very anti-climactic as far as snowfall, including last season.

So I can't imagine things being too different for Milwaukee...

Archived