• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 14/15 Banter & Complaint Thread

Whitelakeroy

You aren't defending your posts, that would require sound reasoning and logic, which is completely absent from your side of the discussion.

Sadly because you guys aren't here, observation cannot be in this discussion, but my observation is logical fwiw.  Geos received less than 1" from the weekend's snowfall, but because he lives close to Chicago, you would tell him he has to go by O'Hare's seasonal total which is probably about twice his local total, and he can't complain because it's above average.  Just an example, but nevertheless it illustrates why going by a particular location's total doesn't tell the whole story.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh for crying out loud, your reputation proceeds you. It shouldn't be that hard to understand.

Also you are posting silly conclusions without looking at the data, apparently.

I'm sorry I don't compare my location's information to historical data, but rather, the region's data from the same period.  Different strokes for different folks.

Sadly because you guys aren't here, observation cannot be in this discussion, but my observation is logical fwiw.  Geos received less than 1" from the weekend's snowfall, but because he lives close to Chicago, you would tell him he has to go by O'Hare's seasonal total which is probably about twice his local total, and he can't complain because it's above average.  Just an example, but nevertheless it illustrates why going by a particular location's total doesn't tell the whole story.

Geos isn't complaining about nonsense like you are, so no once again you aren't proving anything here except that you are whining about not getting record snowfall. Notice no one else is coming to your defense on this? Everyone has given finite evidence to show you there is nothing you should logically be complaining about.

So apparently you can't even complain in the complaint thread anymore without getting ripped apart.  My partially green and partially white grass would beg to differ that our snowfall is above normal this month (part of the reason why I think we should have more permanent reporting sites).  We had some of the heavier snow with the clipper/disturbance this morning, and it was still a half inch accumulation at best.  None of you answered why Cyclone has free reign to complain when Davenport had over 50" last season, but I do not without getting ripped apart.

The fact that its November alone its weird to hear complaining (dont these threads begin in January :lol:), but Im sure Id be frustrated as hell to be in a snowhole too, if everyone else has had some more snow than me. But to the bolded, what does your current snow depth have to do with how much snow has fallen this month? Hell you could have had the biggest November snowstorm on record 2 weeks ago, it melted away, and you could have bare ground during a November cold snap. That doesnt mean snowfall isnt above normal. And what do you mean by permanent reporting sites? MKE had what they had, you had what you had. Buffalo is making national and probably world headlines, but the official site only had a few inches (theyve picked up a bit since)! We can never have enough spotters and coop observers, but there can only be so many first order climate sites.

Geos received less than 1" from the weekend's snowfall, but because he lives close to Chicago, you would tell him he has to go by O'Hare's seasonal total which is probably about twice his local total, and he can't complain because it's above average. 

Wrong again.

http://www.isws.illinois.edu/atmos/statecli/summary/119029.htm

Waukegan: 37.9"

O'Hare: 36.7"

Geos isn't complaining about nonsense like you are, so no once again you aren't proving anything here except that you are whining about not getting record snowfall. Notice no one else is coming to your defense on this? Everyone has given finite evidence to show you there is nothing you should logically be complaining about.

He did show up earlier in the thread, he's just not as opinionated about it; that said, he's had more snow than Milwaukee the last couple years, so it's not like he has had much reason to complain for past years.

The fact that its November alone its weird to hear complaining (dont these threads begin in January :lol:), but Im sure Id be frustrated as hell to be in a snowhole too, if everyone else has had some more snow than me. But to the bolded, what does your current snow depth have to do with how much snow has fallen this month? Hell you could have had the biggest November snowstorm on record 2 weeks ago, it melted away, and you could have bare ground during a November cold snap. That doesnt mean snowfall isnt above normal. And what do you mean by permanent reporting sites? MKE had what they had, you had what you had. Buffalo is making national and probably world headlines, but the official site only had a few inches (theyve picked up a bit since)! We can never have enough spotters and coop observers, but there can only be so many first order climate sites.

Our first November snowfall of more than a trace was last Saturday, and since then every day has been below freezing, so you're telling me more than a half inch of that could've melted/disintegrated?  A bit of it may have blown away due to the wind, but that's it.

Our first November snowfall of more than a trace was last Saturday, and since then every day has been below freezing, so you're telling me more than a half inch of that could've melted/disintegrated?  A bit of it may have blown away due to the wind, but that's it.

Lol he raised a hypothetical, not a literal case.

Wi Wx has a point. At ord for example, they've somehow had 1.9" of snow over the past few days, yet a zero depth every morning. Not even a trace. Did the snow just vaporize? It was consistently below freezing with little sun. You'd think if you had a week of -15 and greater departures in mid nov, you'd have snow covering the ground at some point. It's not just about the reported snowfall amounts. If no snow depth, it can't really be considered snowy. In MBY, even worse. 3 dustings that disappeared a couple hours after falling.

With all of that said...it's mid nov, so you can't expect too much. If this were 2 weeks later with this pattern and all of the potential, obviously a different story. After all, this is the complaint thread...so there's a lot of subjectivity in one's view on things. And no matter how much on the ground this past week, it will melt in a few days anyway - so in the end it doesn't matter much anyway...

Yes the snow probably settled and melted from sun or sublimated from the dry wind.

Dude, look at the calendar.  Unless you're in Bo country or some other lake effect zone, we're basically talking about whether people have had 1" or 3" at this point.  It's not like you're in a big hole.  Is it really worth complaining about?

They got the brunt of the snow with that one, while the north side got a generous inch at best.  It's hard not to compare to other locales when you have a brutally cold start to winter and are seeing barely whitened grass.

Trace down here.  Quit yer cryin'.

There's a narrow zone in IL (south of ORD) and nw IN that's kinda missed out so far.  It'd probably be a little more annoying than usual since it's been a pretty cold stretch...certainly cold enough to snow...but it's still so early.

Yyyup.

Thankfully I'm not WisconsinJi so I'm not filing a formal complaint, but it has been annoying missing out.  Saturday's little wave went north, Sunday's wave stayed south, today's clipper went north.

We need a complaint thread to complain about the complaint thread. :)

Can't take it too seriously...but people are going to do this in a complaint thread. That's the point.

To put it in perspective - if there was a complaint venue for the average citizen in the Chicago area, they would be complaining about the cold to no end. Kind of ironic, I suppose.

haha

Some bad long range calls. :(

SpartyOn on December 5:

"Wonder if Chicago will go for the futility record this year?"

Alek in response on December 5:

"last year was a good example of just how difficult that record that was...this year is going to suck but I'm done calling for futility records, it's just too extreme."

Some really bad short range calls, courtesy of yours truly.  :ee:

January 4 at 10:21am:

"50/50 shot right now, I make one of my biggest meltdown posts of my weather board career (goes back to 1999 BTW). Eh, check that...no it'll be clearly number one."

January 4 at 10:25am:

"I'm 5 miles away from rain on the 12z RGEM. The model that is clearly leading the way. I don't think my concerns are unwarranted right now. But, we'll see."

Archived