12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Winter 14/15 Banter & Complaint Thread

Whitelakeroy

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And the wind added a nice touch that day. That might be a candidate for one of the worst winter days in LAF's history. :lol:

That was incredibly close to being a big ice storm.   Dewpoints in the upper 20s to 30 during most of the precip.  I think the rates were a bit too much for the marginal temps and the late February sun angle may not have helped, though the rates were probably the main factor.  It would've been interesting to put that event overnight and see if there would've been a difference.

Found it...February 26, 2013.  Over 1" liquid with the temp of 32 for the most part

http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KLAF/2013/2/26/DailyHistory.html

Over 1.5" of QPF here in Detroit, but only 2-4" of cement...

Pretty miserable storm, considering how close the temp profiles were to likely making it a historic snowstorm.

Lots of Mets honking about the 20th timeframe.... we will see how that pans out, I do recall a similar situation in 11-12 not panning out.

2001-02 was the winter where the cold was always 15 days away, not sure about 2011-12. I think they are mainly discussing a return to cold, which, technically the month-long-heralded torch hasnt even arrived lol. In fact, per the latest GFS, this torch is now 3 days in the 40s-50s for us and thats it :lol:. The key is getting storminess. The UP will be fine.

2001-02 was the winter where the cold was always 15 days away, not sure about 2011-12. I think they are mainly discussing a return to cold, which, technically the month-long-heralded torch hasnt even arrived lol. In fact, per the latest GFS, this torch is now 3 days in the 40s-50s for us and thats it :lol:. The key is getting storminess. The UP will be fine.

I think the the entire state is going to be pretty melted down by the 20th. The only thing that makes 2011-2012 worse, is that there was NO RIDING anywhere outside of Canada before the 20th. We just had the coldest November on record up there and a decent first week of December.

I think the the entire state is going to be pretty melted down by the 20th. The only thing that makes 2011-2012 worse, is that there was NO RIDING anywhere outside of Canada before the 20th. We just had the coldest November on record up there and a decent first week of December.

I've often found that nature is always looking to balance things out. Last December was really cold, with Winnipeg having one of its coldest Decembers on record. By contrast, it looks like they will be approaching 40F by the middle of next week, which is 20F above normal for them.

Here's a complaint. 

Another potential Nor'Easter is possible for the East Coast next week. This is probably one of many that we've seen this Fall already. I'm starting to doubt this Winter will be fun and games for us. Our sub-forum isn't very "active" for the next 1-2 weeks with a consistent zonal jet stream. However, vort maps do show a nice Subtropical Jet stream, courtesy of the El Nino, so with the right pattern in place, maybe we'll get a nice few decent storms. Lets see, its only December 5th right? 

Till then......zzzzzz! 

Here's a complaint. 

Another potential Nor'Easter is possible for the East Coast next week. This is probably one of many that we've seen this Fall already. I'm starting to doubt this Winter will be fun and games for us. Our sub-forum isn't very "active" for the next 1-2 weeks with a consistent zonal jet stream. However, vort maps do show a nice Subtropical Jet stream, courtesy of the El Nino, so with the right pattern in place, maybe we'll get a nice few decent storms. Lets see, its only December 5th right? 

Till then......zzzzzz! 

There's hardly any cold air for the potential nor'easter though.  Looks like mainly a rainmaker for I-95 at this point.  Best chances for sig snow should be well inland in New England. 

There's hardly any cold air for the potential nor'easter though.  Looks like mainly a rainmaker for I-95 at this point.  Best chances for sig snow should be well inland in New England. 

True, hard to complain about that, but i was referring to the overall general pattern. If you analyze the daily maps so far this Fall, you'd notice we've seen a few coastal storms already. In theory, El Nino's tend to favour more coastal regions than inland areas (our sub-forum) on average. 2009-10 is a prime example. Its still well early in the season so I wouldn't complain. 

However, we don't want crazy blocking like in 2009-10. A -AO aided by a weakly negative NAO would be ideal for the entire sub-forum. 

And didn't parts of New England already get a snowstorm this season like a week or two ago? (Another coastal). 

And didn't parts of New England already get a snowstorm this season like a week or two ago? (Another coastal). 

Inland areas got most of it I believe.

I realize this is only one place in New England but if you compare Boston's snowfall to date, many of the big cities in our subforum are similar or running ahead (leaving out some of the prime LES areas like Cleveland and South Bend).

Boston:  2.6"

Milwaukee:  5.3"

Columbus:  4.1"

Detroit:  4.0"

St. Louis:  3.9"

Chicago:  2.9"

Indianapolis:  2.7"

True, hard to complain about that, but i was referring to the overall general pattern. If you analyze the daily maps so far this Fall, you'd notice we've seen a few coastal storms already. In theory, El Nino's tend to favour more coastal regions than inland areas (our sub-forum) on average. 2009-10 is a prime example. Its still well early in the season so I wouldn't complain. 

However, we don't want crazy blocking like in 2009-10. A -AO aided by a weakly negative NAO would be ideal for the entire sub-forum. 

That has to have been among the most frustrating winters ever. Pretty much everyone around us was having an epic winter (including Europe) while Toronto and Ottawa had one of their warmest and driest winters on record. Prior to that winter, I would cheer on the prospect of a -AO. I haven't since.

That has to have been among the most frustrating winters ever. Pretty much everyone around us was having an epic winter (including Europe) while Toronto and Ottawa had one of their warmest and driest winters on record. Prior to that winter, I would cheer on the prospect of a -AO. I haven't since.

The strange thing is that even places not that far away didn't suck nearly as much that winter IIRC (like Detroit).

Archived