Newest Member
    EWR757
Winter 14/15 Banter & Complaint Thread

Whitelakeroy

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ouch lol

well....I just don't see the whole pacific airmass moving and covering all of north America for the first 2 weeks of December as the models started showing a week or so ago...I didn't buy it then and I'm still not buying it. 

First 2 weeks of December possibly warmer than the last 2 weeks of November, meh, probably....but warmer than average climo for the first 2 weeks of December...doubt it

I love how they throw in comments like "it may be hard to believe due to early snow" or something like that. No, it may be hard to believe because this will be a top 20 if not top 10 coldest year on record for much of the midwest. Apparently the earth keeps warming, but our section of it does not.

I love how they throw in comments like "it may be hard to believe due to early snow" or something like that. No, it may be hard to believe because this will be a top 20 if not top 10 coldest year on record for much of the midwest. Apparently the earth keeps warming, but our section of it does not.

Lucky us (or not, depending on your point of view)

It seems to be Europe that is warming the most.

Im sure you are right, but I dont follow the earth that closely lol, only our area. And there is absolutely ZERO trend that OUR winters or summers are warming at all (a slight showing of warming in spring and fall, which has of course been thrown out the past 2 years). The only trend is an increase in precipitation and very noticeable increase in snowfall. Don't want to stray into a discussion here so...

For a mild start to December, baby its cold outside! :shiver:

Yup. For years and years they discuss how its the "X warmest year on record" for Earth, which I dont dispute, but clearly that warming trend is not coming from our neck of the woods.

Don't want to get into a climate change debate in here but obviously warmth/warming is not uniform across regions.  Like you said above though, with what's been happening around here, you'd never know that it's in stark contrast to the planet as a whole.

I'm sure those in Europe said the same thing. When the globe continually warms, everyone feels it. It's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when.

You are entitled to your opinion and I to mine. And every single prediction or projection of what would begin to happen here has failed miserably and there is ZERO trend of warming. And there is really not going to be a settling to this fire and ice disagreement, because we will both probably be dead before any trend is seen. I say trend because the second we get a very warm month certain people will be ALL over it, but that does not make a trend. The warmest winter months the midwest has ever seen were set in the 1870s-1880s, and have not even been close to challenged since. When we have a couple of decades in the books where I see local temps plotted on a graph and the trend is up up up, surpassing the 1930s-1950s and still in upward motion, then I will change my tune (and Im talking a longterm chart, NOT one that does not START until the 1970s, as so many of these charts mysteriously do). And we arent even close to seeing that trend even begin.

You are entitled to your opinion and I to mine. And every single prediction or projection of what would begin to happen here has failed miserably and there is ZERO trend of warming. And there is really not going to be a settling to this fire and ice disagreement, because we will both probably be dead before any trend is seen. I say trend because the second we get a very warm month certain people will be ALL over it, but that does not make a trend. The warmest winter months the midwest has ever seen were set in the 1870s-1880s, and have not even been close to challenged since. When we have a couple of decades in the books where I see local temps plotted on a graph and the trend is up up up, surpassing the 1930s-1950s and still in upward motion, then I will change my tune (and Im talking a longterm chart, NOT one that does not START until the 1970s, as so many of these charts mysteriously do). And we arent even close to seeing that trend even begin.

Detriot isn't the end all be all of the planet man...The global temperatures prove the earth is warming. The facts don't lie. You use only stats from the Great Lakes (specifically Detroit), you need to apply stats on a global scale to see global trends. Maybe these global trends have not hit us yet, but its inevitable if you do the research. Like I said earlier I'm sure there were winter weather enthusiasts saying the same thing in Europe several years/decades ago.

Detriot isn't the end all be all of the planet man...The global temperatures prove the earth is warming. The facts don't lie. You use only stats from the Great Lakes, you need to apply stats on a global scale to see global trends.

LOL....this is so typical of how these debates go....we were SPECIFICALLY discussing temperatures in THE MIDWEST/GREAT LAKES and how they are NOT increasing UNLIKE the Earth, to which you said oh it will happen just ask Europe....to which I respond there is NO SIGN OF THIS HAPPENING OR EVEN STARTING TO HAPPEN IN THIS REGION (UNLIKE THE EARTH)...to which you respond back YOU ONLY USE STATS FROM THE GREAT LAKES....THE EARTH IS WARMING YOU HAVE TO LOOK ON A GLOBAL SCALE.

You are right, using Great Lakes stats to discuss Great Lakes climate is ludicrous!

I cant even... :facepalm:

snowfreak is right though. If we're not careful, we may all be "feeling the heat" from the moderators.

If ppl are interested I'll put a thread in the climate dump tomorrow. Was actually a turkey day topic because some of the rural fam messes around with winterized varietals and we got to chatting around the Grand Traverse vino bucket about lengthened growing season vs. risk of hard frost for midwest-Great Lakes grapes lmao

LOL....this is so typical of how these debates go....we were SPECIFICALLY discussing temperatures in THE MIDWEST/GREAT LAKES and how they are NOT increasing UNLIKE the Earth, to which you said oh it will happen just ask Europe....to which I respond there is NO SIGN OF THIS HAPPENING OR EVEN STARTING TO HAPPEN IN THIS REGION (UNLIKE THE EARTH)...to which you respond back YOU ONLY USE STATS FROM THE GREAT LAKES....THE EARTH IS WARMING YOU HAVE TO LOOK ON A GLOBAL SCALE.

You are right, using Great Lakes stats to discuss Great Lakes climate is ludicrous!

I cant even... :facepalm:

?

http://apps.washingtonpost.com/g/page/national/national-climate-assessment-report/1016/

CS_Net-Change-in-Ann-Temp_for-Highlights

So that was predictable...one post about the warm year globally derails the December thread.  I'm not sure why it was posted in this subforum to begin with but anyway, there's various ways to look at trends.  If you look at trends in heat waves/cold waves, the Lakes don't have the rise in heat waves that many other areas of the U.S. have.

post-14-0-96792800-1417495204_thumb.png

So that was predictable...one post about the warm year globally derails the December thread.  I'm not sure why it was posted in this subforum to begin with but anyway, there's various ways to look at trends.  If you look at trends in heat waves/cold waves, the Lakes don't have the rise in heat waves that many other areas of the U.S. have.

attachicon.gifhotcold.png

Thanks for moving this. Thought it was an interesting discussion and thanks for that graph.

Thanks for moving this. Thought it was an interesting discussion.

CC is a passionate subject around here if you didn't already know.  It'd be better to post about it in the designated forum but I realize there are times when it overlaps in here, particularly when discussing local/regional trends.  Just try to keep things civil if you're going to discuss it...banter/complaint thread isn't a license for hostility.  

If ppl are interested I'll put a thread in the climate dump tomorrow. Was actually a turkey day topic because some of the rural fam messes around with winterized varietals and we got to chatting around the Grand Traverse vino bucket about lengthened growing season vs. risk of hard frost for midwest-Great Lakes grapes lmao

ironically, my inlaws have a 26 acre organic farm in NW IL....and the same topic came up over the weekend as well when we visited

Is it even a discussion that the earth and North America has warmed the last 100+ years? I thought this was a fact.

lol who said the earth (or north america) hasnt warmed in the last 100 yrs? I dont think anyone here did. I was discussing winter temps in the Great Lakes (and looking back I see I didnt use the word "winter" which was a very imperative word in that discussion, although I thought it was assumed, nor did I make it clear I was using 1930 as a starting point). Any graph from 100+ years will show warming because #1, the first several decades of the 20th century were extremely cold, and two overall there is a slight warming anyway even for the Great Lakes which is mainly due to spring and fall (yet ironically every time you read a climate change article its on summer and winter). Two months that have shown the most warming in this region are March and November (although you wouldnt know that from the last two years). In terms of actual extremes, heat waves in this region have lessened dramatically from the 1930s-1950s, and while below zero days are much less than the 1970s (the decade with the most of any on record), they are still more than the mid-20th century.

As for winter sports enthusiasts as you brought up, they have nothing to worry about. There will always be crappy winters, but snowfall and snowcover in this region are better than ever. There arent enough tall tales in the world that can be told about previous winters, but they are false and can be easily proven. The most barren winters we have ever seen were long before any of us graced this earth (late 1880s there were a handful, then 1918-19, then a few more in the 1930s, 1940s, and 1950s). People who are so passionate about climate change revert everything back to one thing, long term global temp, no matter what is being discussed, but Im one of those that looks at certain things. Any claims of increasing heatwaves or decreasing winters do not a have a leg to stand on in THIS REGION. The heatwave chart hoosier posted nicely illustrates that, and as for winter, its not just snowfall but snowcover that has increased this century as well. From a purely winter standpoint, we are so far ahead of where we were in the '30s-50s that a reverting to THOSE times would be crushing as it is, much less into worse times (unchartered waters). Another unique thing..is that nothing was more extreme than the roller coaster (extremely brutal and extremely warm and snowless) winters this region had in the 1870s-1880s, but not only do you never see those brought up in graphs because its before any of those graphs start, but even if they did, it would look balanced because the crazy extremes would have crossed each other out. 20 years ago "scientists" warned that our MI winters would turn into Kentucky by 2020-2030, and now that are just 5 years from 2020, they have gotten SNOWIER and COLDER from the time those were written in the late 90s.

Archived