Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
Winter 14/15 Banter & Complaint Thread

Whitelakeroy

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if it does snow anything between 4-8" it will probably cause controversy lol.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2014-01-03/news/ct-mundelein-jeweler-snow-promo-tl-0109-20140103_1_snowfall-totals-refunds-national-weather-service

A Mundelein jeweler who offered more than $150,000 in refunds if it snowed enough Wednesday morning said his insurance company won't pay the refunds because snowfall totals didn't reach the 3-inch threshold.

P.K. Bennett Jewelers ran a promotion offering future refunds to customers who made purchases there from Black Friday to Christmas Eve if it snowed more than 3 inches at O'Hare International Airport from midnight to noon New Year's Day.

pixel.gif
pixel.gif

But owner Rich Bennett said he was "extremely disappointed" when his insurance company informed him Friday that his claim was denied because of insufficient snowfall totals.

if it does snow anything between 4-8" it will probably cause controversy lol.

total screw job....lol

post-5865-0-65712900-1417032821_thumb.gi

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/42213-december-31-january-2-hybrid-frisbee-storm-part-2/page-25

and the 24 hour radar from that storm....

https://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/current/mcview.phtml?prod=lotrad&java=script&mode=archive&frames=73&interval=20&year=2014&month=1&day=1&hour=0&minute=0

actually kind of a fun thread to read through....pretty fun event in the Chicago area....

OMG....I remember ChicagoStorm saying that the totals were garbage from that storm, but thats the only time all winter I remember ORD's totals coming into question.

And not to mention, official totals for first order stations are reported at 06z 12z, 18z, 00z, so there would be no "estimating" involved, you would ask LOT what ORD had at 18z January 1st. That sounds SUPER fishy to me.

But yes it was a fun event. The anti-powerball storm. Snow fell for about 60 hours straight.

DTW

12/31- 1.5" 

01/01- 6.4"

01/02- 4.4"

The totals were considered two storms by the NWS (1.2" + 11.1") due to it being two Ls. With only a few hour break of just flurries calling, it easily could be considered 1 storm but it was not. A much quicker storm dropped another 11 inches on the 5/6th, this one in a much more modest time period of less than 24 hours ;)

OMG....I remember ChicagoStorm saying that the totals were garbage from that storm, but thats the only time all winter I remember ORD's totals coming into question.

And not to mention, official totals for first order stations are reported at 06z 12z, 18z, 00z, so there would be no "estimating" involved, you would ask LOT what ORD had at 18z January 1st. That sounds SUPER fishy to me.

But yes it was a fun event. The anti-powerball storm. Snow fell for about 60 hours straight.

DTW

12/31- 1.5" 

01/01- 6.4"

01/02- 4.4"

The totals were considered two storms by the NWS (1.2" + 11.1") due to it being two Ls. With only a few hour break of just flurries calling, it easily could be considered 1 storm but it was not. A much quicker storm dropped another 11 inches on the 5/6th, this one in a much more modest time period of less than 24 hours ;)

lol....yeah that whole 7 day period was nuts...good stuff

Bump.

No complaints here yet (it is only November), but it appears based on the med/long range thread that others may have some complaints...

The complaint thread has become a staple. It usually starts in January, but now we are at page 6 in a November that has featured well below normal temps for all and normal to above normal snow for most if not all. Granted there is a lot of banter lol.

The complaint thread has become a staple. It usually starts in January, but now we are at page 6 in a November that has featured well below normal temps for all and normal to above normal snow for most if not all. Granted there is a lot of banter lol.

Yeah, I don't have any meteorological education, so don't have much to add in the legit threads, so I just throw around a lot banter here.

fresh off of last Winter's awesomeness, I suspect complaints will be at an all time high regardless of how good or bad this Winter ends up being.

Jason Puma at IND in this afternoon's disco mentions a new model to add to the suite. Hopefully it will perform better than what's currently available. ;)

GFS AND MAN SUGGEST THE COLD FRONT TO SWEEP ACROSS THE STATE ON
SUNDAY NIGHT. AGAIN LITTLE SUPPORT IS AVAILABLE ALOFT...HOWEVER
LOWER LEVEL MOISTURE REMAINS PLENTIFUL AS DEW POINTS WILL CREEP IN
TO THE UPPER 40S AND LOWER LEVEL CONVERGENCE IS FAVORABLE. THUS
WILL NEED TO INCLUDE POPS ON SUNDAY NIGHT FOR LOW AMOUNT PRECIP
AMOUNTS.

I made fun of Jason's typo above, I might as well give Michael Skipper at IWX a little love.

Afternoon disco says that the NAM is too deep and fast with moisture?! I'm shocked....shocked I tell you. :stun:

CLOUDS WERE FILLING IN OVER THE AREA IN THE RELATIVELY THIN LOW
LEVEL MOISTURE LAYER AROUND 925 MB. AIRCRAFT AND UPPER AIR SOUNDINGS
SHOWED THIS RATHER SHALLOW LAYER OF MOISTURE WITH VERY DRY AND WARM
CONDITIONS ALOFT UPSTREAM FROM ST LOUIS ALL OF THE WAY SOUTHWEST TO
SPRINGFIELD MISSOURI. THE 12Z 12KM NAM AND GFS CONTINUE TO BE WAY
TOO DEEP WITH MOISTURE AND WERE LIKELY BRINGING IN LOW CLOUDS...FOG
AND DRIZZLE/LIGHT RAIN TOO FAST...ESPECIALLY THE NAM.
AIRCRAFT
SOUNDINGS INDICATED A MASSIVE AREA OF WARM AND DRY AIR ABOVE THE
BASE OF THE SUBSIDENCE INVERSION. BASED ON THESE FINDINGS...HAVE
REJECTED THE NAM
WITH THE CATEGORICAL PROBABILITY OF PRECIPITATION
AT LIMA OF 80 PERCENT TONIGHT.

Silver lining is that biking season has been extended in lower Michigan. If it's Christmas though I'll start losing my mind.

The mid November cold snap and frequent snow was way more uncommon than starting December the way we are. Recent winters have almost conditioned us to completely unreal expectations of what normal is anymore. I dont enjoy this start to December either, but id MUCH rather start this way with prospects of winter roaring in mid to late month than have it the other way around.

:yikes:

i don't see any big lows needed to drag up a full on torch but this is a mild pattern

mild in comparison to the anomalous November yeah...but I just don't see things sticking above climo average. 

I'm all good with temps being slightly below to well above (if it happens) for the next 2 weeks though...better shopping and random holiday party weather!  Heck, I already knocked 3 peeps off my holiday shopping list today at Target lol ....

either way...zzzzzzzzzz looks like a lock for the next week or so

Archived