joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 14/15 Banter & Complaint Thread

Whitelakeroy

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The true issue of late is the lack of excitement in the weather as a whole. Early November brought absolute bitter cold to the region and the weather could not be any better for all of us winter lovers. As a whole the temps are not that warm and could support snow.

Winter hasn't even officially begun. Before long storms will be brewing on the models and the true birth of winter will be before us. Till then...... get the Christmas shopping done and get the honey do list widdled down.

Heh, I'm cool as long as it turns before mid-January. I want to maximize my NE Ohio snow climo before I go back to the snow-hole that is SE Ohio.

The way I look at it, the longer we wait, the harder it gets to have a special/historic type winter.  Not that you necessarily go into any winter expecting that, but realistically you can't lose the entire month of December.

The way I look at it, the longer we wait, the harder it gets to have a special/historic type winter.  Not that you necessarily go into any winter expecting that, but realistically you can't lose the entire month of December.

I definitely agree there. The only areas doing "well" so far I'd say are some of the Snowbelts and places like MN/northern WI where they've gotten a good storm or two. That isn't too unusual considering it's early December, but if we do get through all of December without anything more of note then yeah we'd have to make up for lost time.

The true issue of late is the lack of excitement in the weather as a whole. Early November brought absolute bitter cold to the region and the weather could not be any better for all of us winter lovers. As a whole the temps are not that warm and could support snow.

Winter hasn't even officially begun. Before long storms will be brewing on the models and the true birth of winter will be before us. Till then...... get the Christmas shopping done and get the honey do list widdled down.

Bingo.

The November cold snap was arguably the 2nd worst on record for this area. The only one I could see that matched or exceeded it in terms of duration/intensity was in November 1880 (which exceeded it fwiw). The snowcover was thin, but it was on the ground for a week and it was all powder. Combine with wind chills below zero..totally felt like mid-winter.

Now here we sit with no sign of snow in early December. But the key is...no excitement. Everyones talking about this pattern....it is NOT a warm pattern, its a boring one. The warmth itself will probably last a week or less and not even be anything close to impressive, rather run of the mill +5 to +10 type stuff (for our region). We need to get some action in here.

I do agree with this. But I didnt really expect anything special/historic after last year. I mean, say we get a BRUTAL cold Jan/Feb, then any mildness of Dec will be long gone in the memory banks. But losing a full month of December to little snow, the snow aspect will be hard to achieve special status. Above normal certainly attainable, but not "special".

Bingo.

The November cold snap was arguably the 2nd worst on record for this area. The only one I could see that matched or exceeded it in terms of duration/intensity was in November 1880 (which exceeded it fwiw). The snowcover was thin, but it was on the ground for a week and it was all powder. Combine with wind chills below zero..totally felt like mid-winter.

Now here we sit with no sign of snow in early December. But the key is...no excitement. Everyones talking about this pattern....it is NOT a warm pattern, its a boring one. The warmth itself will probably last a week or less and not even be anything close to impressive, rather run of the mill +5 to +10 type stuff (for our region). We need to get some action in here.

I think the warmth might be more impressive than that, if only for a day or two.   

I do agree with this. But I didnt really expect anything special/historic after last year. I mean, say we get a BRUTAL cold Jan/Feb, then any mildness of Dec will be long gone in the memory banks. But losing a full month of December to little snow, the snow aspect will be hard to achieve special status. Above normal certainly attainable, but not "special".

Yeah, I wouldn't write off a good winter even if December gets wasted...but elite would be next to impossible.

People will  forget about the 2-3 day torch on tap by the end of this winter. It is not very note worthy, perhaps those in Alberta will think differently but the GFS is showing a boat load of snow for that region of the world 240 hours out.

I can see potential WRT storms and snow in the long term model development. It might not be artic cold out but 32°f is the magic number with success for snow. By the way this is my favorite snow shovel....

post-7675-0-10973000-1418011387_thumb.jp

Any room left on the punt til the 20th-25th train?

I'm not one who usually gets too down about how things look beyond the 6-10 day range, but this pattern is complete garbage up until at least Christmas.  If things don't turn around in the last week of the month then we will have punted away 1/3rd of met winter already.  

I'm not one who usually gets too down about how things look beyond the 6-10 day range, but this pattern is complete garbage up until at least Christmas.  If things don't turn around in the last week of the month then we will have punted away 1/3rd of met winter already.  

Its unrelenting.

On the flip side (of the planet), Siberia looks like a frozen hell.

The 20th train has already left the station and is en route to it's destination. The 25th train is filling up though.

the question thats unclear is what are people looking for when this pattern changes? Action or cold? Because as has been said over and over this long awaited warm spell has been pushed back back back. And day after day people are looking for this Solstice change to cold while the actual current weather is STILL in a below normal temperature pattern as this heralded warmth has YET to arrive! So once this mild blah week finally gets here then passes it looks like we may finally get into a more unsettled pattern. And by about Christmas seasonal weather produces snow (ie you dont need below normal temps north of i80). So with cold signal strong as ever heading towards new years and beyond, a period of seasonal but unsettled weather may not be a bad thing to hope for around Christmas week.

Archived