joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 14/15 Banter & Complaint Thread

Whitelakeroy

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's great, but even on this board, you are in the minority (albeit a vocal minority) in enjoying cold and largely dry weather for an extended period.

Doesn't matter how it gets on the ground, as long as it's there. Half the snowstorms I end up sleeping through anyhow. I do love going to sleep with hardly anything and waking up to a shocker in the morning. No matter how much older I get, it's the same enjoyment as when I was a kid.

banter is one thing...complaint is another. But I do see your point and I agree with it. Really its no different than any other year in early December (even the great years are filled with many complaints). Just that time of year.

Not necessarily. Last year, we cut down our xmas tree in early-mid december in about 6-8 inches on the ground. I don't care about snow in november & i don't care about snow in march. I care sbout snow in december, january & february PERIOD

Not necessarily. Last year, we cut down our xmas tree in early-mid december in about 6-8 inches on the ground. I don't care about snow in november & i don't care about snow in march. I care sbout snow in december, january & february PERIOD

Oh, yes we had 9" on the ground Dec 16th here. I meant there is still the complaining and griping even when a pattern is good, I have been on weather boards 12 years now and it happens every year in Nov/Dec WITHOUT fail. Some years worse than others, but I see it every year regardless. Actually to be honest, with it being SO boring, most are being very well behaved (ie the griping could be a lot worse) :lol:

Iowa got hit pretty good, too.  Des Moines got 15.5" and I got 10.5".  Now, storms like that are as common as major hurricane US landfalls.

Yep, that was a good one.  Picked up around 8" here.  Ahh the good ol' days, back when winter showed some balls around this area.

DVN has a real nice writeup from this event.  Think Ocean might have done it.

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/dvn/?n=blizzard_12-08to09-2009

Last year at this time we had just got done tracking a 5" event.   Pretty memorable stretch from Thanksgiving to right before xmas.  We were beating our chests about being ahead of most of the subforum in snowfall, but ended up falling behind dramatically at the end of December into the first couple weeks of January.

I will say this, as we approach xmas week, things start to look a little interesting, especially for our area of the subforum.   Biggest problem that I see (all thru the end of the of the long range), is no real cold air, no pressing highs from Canada, just ULL that we have to hope will generate borderline cold enough temps.    These cut-off lows running all over the place mean no phasing.  If you do get a wet snow, the cold leaves with the storm.

Oh, yes we had 9" on the ground Dec 16th here. I meant there is still the complaining and griping even when a pattern is good, I have been on weather boards 12 years now and it happens every year in Nov/Dec WITHOUT fail. Some years worse than others, but I see it every year regardless. Actually to be honest, with it being SO boring, most are being very well behaved (ie the griping could be a lot worse) :lol:

Nov/Dec 2000 would have been the least amount of complaining ever for Nov/Dec but then January => March where there would have been complaint threads parts 1 through 10 with each thread being over 50 pages long :lmao:

Yeah...December has been a joke so far. 50s here and near 50 in MSP is unacceptable for this time of year. DJF is winter...you shouldn't need a good/great pattern to see snow and cold.

Sure, I don't expect a foot of snow every week...but even in a regular pattern, we should see cold weather and a few inches of snow a week, simply because it's winter.

There is no way to sugar coat this...and it's made worse due to the predictions of a cold and slightly above avg. snow winter. It's never good to waste 1/3 of winter.

Yeah...December has been a joke so far. 50s here and near 50 in MSP is unacceptable for this time of year. DJF is winter...you shouldn't need a good/great pattern to see snow and cold.

Sure, I don't expect a foot of snow every week...but even in a regular pattern, we should see cold weather and a few inches of snow a week, simply because it's winter.

There is no way to sugar coat this...and it's made worse due to the predictions of a cold and slightly above avg. snow winter. It's never good to waste 1/3 of winter.

it happens and it will get better

hang in there, dude

It will get better. We just need to stir things up a bit. The latest GFS and Parallel GFS have a hit early next week for parts of the northern forum. Baby steps.

Near 50 with fog and drizzle here this weekend. Will melt my remaining 1" of snowpack. Maybe I'll get to rake leaves I didn't get to before the early Nov storm.

yeah....whomever wished for "gimme cold and boring over near miss after near miss" definitely got their wish granted....dang literal genies...

Cold and boring is only good if you have snow worth keeping around. Only Bo has snow worth keeping around, but it's paltry by his areas standards.

I'm not michsnowfreak but it looks like 0.0 in December 1889.

You are correct. Not a single flake fell in December 1889. So, since we have had a trace in December, technically thats already not happening. After 0.3" of snow fell on Nov 29, 1889, Detroit would not see another single flake until 0.1" fell Jan 8, 1890. OUCH.

Top 10 least snowy Decembers at Detroit since 1880

1.) 0.0" - 1889

2.) 0.4" - 1894

3.) 0.9" - 1943

4.) 1.2" - 1888

4.) 1.2" - 1998

6.) 1.3" - 1931

7.) 1.4" - 1982

8.) 1.6" - 1936

8.) 1.6" - 1965

10.) 1.9" - 1939

10.) 1.9" - 1993