Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
November 2014 Banter

Kay

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agreed. I have a space heater in my lower level home office and keep it in the low 80s, even in summer.

I just don't get the part about using wood.

When it is all over your property you use it. Great exercise busting, being outdoors, I buy propane every other year or three. What's not to like about that? Plus if you like the heat, there is nothing better than that steady radiating off a stove.

My house has a basement that is over half out of ground with a 2 car garage on one side and other is finished. The stairway down is 4 1/2 foot wide and open so it is basically like a split level, heat pours up that opening when stove is running. Usually right at 80 down and 70+- up when I have it going.

When it is all over your property you use it. Great exercise busting, being outdoors, I buy propane every other year or three. What's not to like about that? Plus if you like the heat, there is nothing better than that steady radiating off a stove.

My house has a basement that is over half out of ground with a 2 car garage on one side and other is finished. The stairway down is 4 1/2 foot wide and open so it is basically like a split level, heat pours up that opening when stove is running. Usually right at 80 down and 70+- up when I have it going.

My house is the same way. Heats the upper level great.

I love being outdoors in winter,cutting, splitting, stacking wood. Nothing beats the crackling of a hot fire on a cold, windy night. Pushing a button to heat my house would bore me horribly.

Hmmmmm....setting it that low.....what if power suddenly goes out? ESPECIALLY if you have no backup heat source. House heads to freezing pretty quick from 50.

I may be exaggerating, but its something from 50-55.  Their backup heat source is their fireplace.  They had to use that following Hurricane Sandy when they were without power for a week.

I may be exaggerating, but its something from 50-55. Their backup heat source is their fireplace. They had to use that following Hurricane Sandy when they were without power for a week.

A fireplace is ok if you huddled near it. They tend to draw cold air into the house though. Better then nothing.

Sounds warm but too much work for me.

I would outsource the tasks.

In all seriousness in terms of travel, in theory, when is the snow window for starting to cause travel difficulties should this play out like the euro is showing?

If the Euro/GFS scenario plays out, the heaviest precip comes in late morning Wednesday and lasts through ~8pm.  Pretty much the worst timing for travel.  The 24hr news networks must be frothing at the potential to cover Thanksgivingsnowtravelmaggedon 2014. 

Am hoping all of the Wednesday travelers do not join me on the road early Thursday. Was looking forward to a congestion free drive to pittsburgh.

I only travel 50 miles, but Thanksgiving morning is usually really quiet on the roads. Wonder if 95 will be plowed out by Thursday morning :whistle:  ;)

Archived