• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
November 2014

Rtd208

I wouldn't be banking on 95-96 but a above avg snow year I think is pretty likely. Don't forget NYC avg in the mid 20's for snowfall, 40 inches of snow would be a good year. I think we do get one solid KU event this winter. Weak ninos are pretty good to us

no not banking on 95-96' that is the holy grail seasonal total and would pretty much require another 96' and other major storms to add to the totals. is it possible this year? yea sure but im currently betting against it unless we can get a nice +PNA and -NAO and get slow moving bomb moving from the GOM

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not for nothing, but some of you guys are starting to sound like..... used car salesmen 

(pitchin and bitchin)   :unsure:  :)

DEC 5

850mb temp guidance

GFS 18Z run

Extrap from here would still be on the warm side- IMO

So now we're taking 384 hour OP panels and extrapolating them even further? WOW!

Only thing I took from the 18z GFS is that it seems to favor the -EPO/AK block. Looks cold after Thanksgiving.

The Euro and GFS both shove the PV and associated cold air onto the Asian side.....heights get as low as 486dm over Siberia by Day 10 of the 12z ECM OP. It's similar on the GFS with a wide area of -30C over there. We might be dealing with stale cold air come early December, but as long as we maintain higher heights near AK it won't be crazy warm.

I think that the ridge near the Aleutians would just be a transient feature. The strength of the +PDO would

argue for a stronger Aleutian low developing in December. But notice how the Scandinavian Ridge

is already showing up which generally would try to build west toward Greenland as December

progresses. 

attachicon.gif500.gif

1993 had +1.41 PDO for October and somewhat similar progression through phases 3 and 4 the ECMWF is suggesting for early December. First 15 days of December 1993 averaged with an +EPO.. The second half of the month averaged with an Aleutian low. We also had SSW in late Dec and early Jan. This is just to give idea what could happen, if the ECMWF MJO forecast is correct. :

4q4lls.jpg

2dtdwd3.jpg

2s7f2af.jpg

2vkjf4k.jpg

. We might be dealing with stale cold air come early December, but as long as we maintain higher heights near AK it won't be crazy warm.

Understood ...NZ

just trying to keep it real 

some days on here  ...... the snow hounds are looking for blood    :axe:

you can't make this stuff up

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/814day/814temp.new.gif

Understood ...NZ

just trying to keep it real 

some days on here  ...... the snow hounds are looking for blood    :axe:

you can't make this stuff up

attachicon.gif814temp.new.jpg

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/814day/814temp.new.gif

It makes sense...when the ridge is over AK or a little further west towards the Aleutians, the cold dumps into the Northern Plains and Upper Midwest. That leaves you with higher heights in the east, or more of a Bermuda High. If you notice, the highest probabilities on that chart for above average temperatures in Alaska are centered really far west...that will create a neutral PNA and the possibility for lakes cutters. 

This is especially true when wavelengths are shorter in the fall.

In PA between Somerset and Bedford Counties which border each other, Laurel Summit in Somerset averages close to 200" annually, but 30 miles east of there in Bedford is less than 40" in the downslope area. That kind of difference continues down through WV and even parts of NC. At least in western NY a huge lake effect storm in one place doesn't mean it's a sign of heartbreak for the rest of the winter. The wider snowbelt areas will all likely have their turn at some point. The one negative about Lake Erie is that it freezes over early, so the real lake effect storms there happen from now until New Year's. 

There's a nice gradient in western Maryland...where Cumberland averages about 35 inches of snow per year, but maybe 8 miles up the road in Frostburg...the average is over 90 inches...Frostburg a good deal higher, of course.  Cumberland a notorious victim of the so called rain shadow effect, being on the east side of the mountains.

In PA between Somerset and Bedford Counties which border each other, Laurel Summit in Somerset averages close to 200" annually, but 30 miles east of there in Bedford is less than 40" in the downslope area. That kind of difference continues down through WV and even parts of NC. At least in western NY a huge lake effect storm in one place doesn't mean it's a sign of heartbreak for the rest of the winter. The wider snowbelt areas will all likely have their turn at some point. The one negative about Lake Erie is that it freezes over early, so the real lake effect storms there happen from now until New Year's. 

See the thing about lake effect snow belts & heartbreak from near misses...there really isn't any because the favored spots know they are favored and the drier ones know they generally will miss out.  Up around Niagara Falls, they know that they will invariably do poorly relative to most other spots when the lake machine goes into high gear...their long term average annual snowfall of about 40 inches tells them that.  Same with the favored spots to the SW of Buffalo and their 150 inch annual means...its not like forecasting a rain / snow line around here or wondering if the storm will stay too far offshore...when a big lake event is forecast...the snow belts are going to clean up almost all the time...the prevailing wind in Buffalo during the cold season is WSW...and this sort of thing is basically not something subject to much variation...the favored spots will almost always do well...the lesser spots will almost always do poorly, relatively speaking. 

The other point, yes Lake Erie is a very shallow lake and it is the quickest to ice over...though it does not every winter...Lake Ontario is an extremely deep lake and it never freezes over...its pretty unusual for much ice to form on it at all.

Threadex has it at 34. Last year we tied.

http://threadex.rcc-acis.org/

11/19

34 in 1882

35 in 1951

37 in 2008+

11/24

30 in 2013

30 in 1880

34 in 1956+

I checked the utah climate center and they have the max missing for the 19th...I printed the record ten years ago from that site...They took off many days that year for some reason?...

Based on the gfs the pattern is favorable enough so we still get strong cold shots but it's not a favorable storm pattern where we would look for snow chances.

It would be a completely different story if blocking develops as the overall pattern looks pretty active though all rain. Perhaps something could sneak in sort of like early Dec 2002 which seems to be popping up a lot.

Based on the gfs the pattern is favorable enough so we still get strong cold shots but it's not a favorable storm pattern where we would look for snow chances.

It would be a completely different story if blocking develops as the overall pattern looks pretty active though all rain. Perhaps something could sneak in sort of like early Dec 2002 which seems to be popping up a lot.

Wicked cold shot on the GFS after Thanksgiving. 850s are -20C over Upstate NY. 

We might have a chance for a clipper with the progged Plains cold seeping into the East. 

Also, it's still early for snow. Average highs in NYC metro on Dec 1st are in the upper 40s. 

Old day 11.5- New Day 11 - For Dec 1 .  Check out the west coast - the new run has a better looking trough in the east . 

So i am curious to see if these corrections continue to manifest themselves post day 10 on the Euro 

The correction is small but they get more meaningful as we get closer .

Day 12 thru 15 still has the ridge underneath but weaker than yesterday at 12z 

post-7472-0-16361200-1416495572_thumb.pn

post-7472-0-05632100-1416495582_thumb.pn

Everyone is so convinced things get started mid December so what will happen if it doesn't?

Little things can throw off the entire pattern.

Could be Jan 1st...who knows.  If this board were here in the winter of 93-94 everyone would have jumped off a bridge by 12/20.  I remember it changing on a dime right after x-mas that year.

Could be Jan 1st...who knows. If this board were here in the winter of 93-94 everyone would have jumped off a bridge by 12/20. I remember it changing on a dime right after x-mas that year.

Not worried, El nino's historically are back loaded winters. Not one person is concerned in the NE subforum. By early-mid december we should start seeing more meaningful changes that will lock the cold and troughing in the east for january/february. I want to start seeing that block over the top develop so we can lock the cold pattern in over canada and CONUS

Could be Jan 1st...who knows. If this board were here in the winter of 93-94 everyone would have jumped off a bridge by 12/20. I remember it changing on a dime right after x-mas that year.

We had very few big snows in December in the 80s and 90s especially prior to 12/15..that's changed in the 2000s dramatically so people think its the norm

We had very few big snows in December in the 80s and 90s especially prior to 12/15..that's changed in the 2000s dramatically so people think its the norm

Good point.  I could count the # of December snowfalls on one hand prior to 95/96.    Since then it's rare to NOT have a December snowfall.

Not worried, El nino's historically are back loaded winters. Not one person is concerned in the NE subforum. By early-mid december we should start seeing more meaningful changes that will lock the cold and troughing in the east for january/february. I want to start seeing that block over the top develop so we can lock the cold pattern in over canada and CONUS

True, but NE is a different beast, they shouldn't be worried. Our winters are always a nail-biter.

one late dec storm can easily put us above avg for the month

Yeah, most significant December snow events cluster from December 19th on. Years like 2002 and 2003

were really the exception rather that the rule. I can remember how beaten down the sentiment was 

through most of December 2010 with the disappearing  modeled  snows before the pattern clicked with Boxing Day.

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/okx/climate/records/sixplussnow.html

I like the signs of the Scandinavian block bleeding into Greenland on the Euro Ensembles...that's a good sign for a nascent -NAO as we begin December.

Also, NYC only averages a few inches of snow in December. Only takes one moderate snowfall. People forget that March is historically snowier than December despite recent years.

Archived