joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November 2014

Rtd208

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The negative departure will get eaten alive by those cutters. It's not out of the question we see a greater positive departure day than a negative one this month.

The month will still be negative overall because the cold is still too much unless we see several record positive type days to end the month. I'm still thinking -1.5 for many.

Yep. Sun-Tues.. and then around the second low. The cold this week will be too much to overcome and

we'll have our third cold November in a row. Pretty impressive considering the November sea of warmth

since the late 90's.

I am trying to figure out is the GFS  right with the trough in the East or do I just go with the Euro ensembles that split the trough after day 10 and develop and dam ridge underneath it .

Trying to figure out how with a GOA trough and one into Europe how does that not deepen in the east . Maybe we cant fight phase 3 and 4  of the MJO here .

Fought with JB about this today after I posted at 4 AM  might have been too quick to the trigger . Hate to get hood winked out of position but I  hate when I see a Neg over the poles that's never good for us .

The Euro ensembles torch us week 1 , I think I take back my last post .

I am trying to figure out is the GFS  right with the trough in the East or do I just go with the Euro ensembles that split the trough after day 10 and develop and dam ridge underneath it .

Trying to figure out how with a GOA trough and one into Europe how does that not deepen in the east . Maybe we cant fight phase 3 and 4  of the MJO here .

Fought with JB about this today after I posted at 4 AM  might have been too quick to the trigger . Hate to get hood winked out of position but I  hate when I see a Neg over the poles that's never good for us .

There's almost definitely going to be a block over AK, which keeps Canada cold and favors colder than normal temperatures here. The problem is that the Euro tries to dig for oil out west with a big -PNA/RNA pattern. If that's wrong and the AK block teleconnects to higher heights in the West as the GFS shows, then we're golden.

The day 10 euro ensemble signal is for very strong NP ridge extending across to the EPO region.

Day 11-15 can be tough to figure out until we see how the 6-10 actually verifies. That may just be

a transition pattern since the El Nino/+PDO favors a strong Aleutian low.

The negative departure will get eaten alive by those cutters. It's not out of the question we see a greater positive departure day than a negative one this month.

The month will still be negative overall because the cold is still too much unless we see several record positive type days to end the month. I'm still thinking -1.5 for many.

-3.7 degrees here after today... will add to that next three days before warm up.

Temps this month...post-679-0-64004600-1416432868_thumb.png

The day 10 euro ensemble signal is for very strong NP ridge extending across to the EPO region.

Day 11-15 can be tough to figure out until we see how the 6-10 actually verifies. 

attachicon.gifecmwf-ens_z500a_nhem_11.png

And then it takes us here .

With a Neg EPO and a trough heading to Europe the Ridge across the CONUS just looks like overkill to me .

If the MJO wasn`t going into phase 3 and 4 I would say this is wrong .

IMO this should not lock off with all that warm water in the E Pacific .We just need to wait for the POS to hook over the top then you  force the trough back into the east .

post-7472-0-38039900-1416432412_thumb.pn

With a Neg EPO and a trough heading to Europe the Ridge across the CONUS just looks like overkill to me .

IMO this should not lock off with all that warm water in the E Pacific .We just need to wait for the POS to hook over the top then you  force the trough back into the east .

I think that the ridge near the Aleutians would just be a transient feature. The strength of the +PDO would

argue for a stronger Aleutian low developing in December. But notice how the Scandinavian Ridge

is already showing up which generally would try to build west toward Greenland as December

progresses. 

Looks like an Aleutian Low which is more Nina like..

GEFS keeps the MJO in phase 2 is supports a -EPO. While the ECMWF keeps pushes the MJO into phase 3 and 4 the next 15 days that typically supports a +EPO. I lean toward the Euro's MJO forecast. The good news is the MJO may head back into COD after 15 days. So whatever warm spell we would be seeing won't last very long:

Phase 2 composite

http://www.americanwx.com/raleighwx/MJO/MJO/DecemberPhase2gt1500mb.gif

Phase 3 composite

http://www.americanwx.com/raleighwx/MJO/MJO/DecemberPhase3gt1500mb.gif

Phase 4 composite

http://www.americanwx.com/raleighwx/MJO/MJO/DecemberPhase4gt1500mb.gif

vqs6tx.jpg

that seems logical for the mid-late December time period to possibly have the stars align for a rocking January/February much like your typical nino year.

Obv it might be a bit longer then that, but as you said typical niño winters favor a back loaded winter...looking at hr 240 or 384 surface maps are pointless. Ensembles and others have said look for a change around mid month. Next week looks mild to start and then cool for tday.

Obv it might be a bit longer then that, but as you said typical niño winters favor a back loaded winter...looking at hr 240 or 384 surface maps are pointless. Ensembles and others have said look for a change around mid month. Next week looks mild to start and then cool for tday.

transient patterns will persist, but it is November not sure why you'd want bone cold to lock in this early. ideally you want December to be varying in temps/p-type and have the pattern setup perfectly for the back loaded winter like you said. you can little by little small changes in the long range but as we all know here its liable to change, I would still call it highly unlikely that this winter will be no where near as severe as predicted. Some of our coldest winters had pretty stout relaxation/warmth in between cold shots, will it repeat this year? TBD.

transient patterns will persist, but it is November not sure why you'd want bone cold to lock in this early. ideally you want December to be varying in temps/p-type and have the pattern setup perfectly for the back loaded winter like you said. you can little by little small changes in the long range but as we all know here its liable to change, I would still call it highly unlikely that this winter will be no where near as severe as predicted. Some of our coldest winters had pretty stout relaxation/warmth in between cold shots, will it repeat this year? TBD.

I wouldn't be banking on 95-96 but a above avg snow year I think is pretty likely. Don't forget NYC avg in the mid 20's for snowfall, 40 inches of snow would be a good year. I think we do get one solid KU event this winter. Weak ninos are pretty good to us

Archived