• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
November 2014

Rtd208

Can't rule out the possibility of thunderstorms tomorrow afternoon with the extremely impressive mid-level lapse rates. With cold temps aloft, sleet or even a snow mix is possible well NW of the city, with graupel possible elsewhere.

attachicon.gif8.gif

Looks like Upton sees it as well...

.SHORT TERM /6 AM FRIDAY MORNING THROUGH FRIDAY NIGHT/...

UPPER TROUGH WILL REMAIN OVER THE AREA DURING THE DAY ON FRI..AND

A GUSTY CYCLONIC NW FLOW BEHIND THE LOW SHOULD PROMOTE CLOUDINESS

ESPECIALLY FROM LATE MORNING INTO AFTERNOON AS CONVECTIVE TEMPS

ARE QUICKLY REACHED. A STRONG MID LEVEL SHORTWAVE AND ASSOCIATED

COLD POOL WITH H6 TEMPS -20C TO -25 C WILL SWING ACROSS IN THE

AFTERNOON AND EARLY EVENING...WITH SCT SHOWERS AND AN ISOLD TSTM

THAT COULD PRODUCE GRAUPEL GIVEN THE COLD TEMPS ALOFT. CAA MAY

ALLOW FOR SNOW TO MIX IN ACROSS THE HILLS WELL NW OF NYC BY LATE

DAY AS WELL. EXPECT HIGHS IN THE LOWER/MID 50S...HIGHEST IN NYC

METRO AND ACROSS LONG ISLAND.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ahhhh I had a recollection fail. Thought is was 500mb.

It's interesting how this time of year has been experiencing these extreme events in recent years.

I found a surface pressure anomaly chart for Sandy which was down close to 10 standard

deviations below normal. The chart didn't even capture the lowest pressure

so the actual SD was more extreme. The October 2010 storm was close to 7 standard

deviations below normal.

Can't leave out the October 2011 record snow.

http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/archive.html?year=2011&month=10

Rare October snowstorm hammers Northeast U.S.

By: Christopher C. Burt , 10:15 PM GMT on October 30, 2011

The most extraordinary October snowstorm in over two centuries in the Northeast U.S. has finally come to an end this Sunday afternoon. Not since the infamous snow hurricane of 1804 have such prodigious amounts of snow been recorded in New England and, to a lesser extent, in the mid-Atlantic states

And the October 2006 event in Buffalo.

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/buf/storm101206.html

Maximum Snowfall: Lake Erie 24" (Depew, Alden) 

Duration: 16 hours +/- 

Prime Feature: Dramatic crippling out of season event. Unprecedented meteorological parameters.

Words cannot do justice to the astounding event which opened the 2006-07 season. It was the most unique in  regards to destruction of trees and power outages, directly because of its out of season factor. Almost a million residents of the Niagara Frontier lost power, some for as long as a week, and tree damage was the worst in memory, especially to the lush vegetation in the many historic parkways and parks in the Buffalo area.

C'mon Paul you know im just poking fun brother! btw, JB really has been pretty good thus far for the winter. 76-77 is a great analog as of right now ;)

Too early IMO. 76 nov temps compare , but many times as time goes on other analogs take over.

So don't look to one analog for the next 4 months.

This is very unusual if it verified for Nov 14 looks more like Jan 14http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/gfs/2014110618/gfs_asnow_us_33.png

Not that I am taking that map literally ( but would b kool to see ) but when I see the EPO and AO that neg and snow in the panhandle with that kind of track.

Yeh it would snow all the way to the coast considering low level cold air would b involved .

Let's see long ways away. But for selfish reasons I have to root on snow for Nov 15th.

It's interesting how this time of year has been experiencing these extreme events in recent years.

I found a surface pressure anomaly chart for Sandy which was down close to 10 standard

deviations below normal. The chart didn't even capture the lowest pressure

so the actual SD was more extreme. The October 2010 storm was close to 7 standard

deviations below normal.

MSLP-sd.gif

Screen shot 2014-11-06 at 6.06.28 PM.png

Can't leave out the October 2011 record snow.

http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/archive.html?year=2011&month=10

Rare October snowstorm hammers Northeast U.S.

By: Christopher C. Burt , 10:15 PM GMT on October 30, 2011

The most extraordinary October snowstorm in over two centuries in the Northeast U.S. has finally come to an end this Sunday afternoon. Not since the infamous snow hurricane of 1804 have such prodigious amounts of snow been recorded in New England and, to a lesser extent, in the mid-Atlantic states

And the October 2006 event in Buffalo.

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/buf/storm101206.html

Maximum Snowfall: Lake Erie 24" (Depew, Alden)

Duration: 16 hours +/-

Prime Feature: Dramatic crippling out of season event. Unprecedented meteorological parameters.

Words cannot do justice to the astounding event which opened the 2006-07 season. It was the most unique in regards to destruction of trees and power outages, directly because of its out of season factor. Almost a million residents of the Niagara Frontier lost power, some for as long as a week, and tree damage was the worst in memory, especially to the lush vegetation in the many historic parkways and parks in the Buffalo area.

Yea I won't forget that Buffalo area event. The pictures of the tree damage is what sticks out in my mind.

Yea I won't forget that Buffalo area event. The pictures of the tree damage is what sticks out in my mind.

My entire family lives in Buffalo and they all described the same thing, near constant cracking and crashing from tree branches snapping all night long. My grandmother calls it "the night the trees wept". I think in all the city lost 90% of its trees (tens of thousands). Eight years later, I read recently that they are close to replacing most of them.

Can't rule out the possibility of thunderstorms tomorrow afternoon with the extremely impressive mid-level lapse rates. With cold temps aloft, sleet or even a snow mix is possible well NW of the city, with graupel possible elsewhere.

attachicon.gif8.gif

The 0z NAM also has TTs in 50s and steep low-level lapse rates tomorrow afternoon.

2qkv11v.jpg

oh4h6o.jpg

Archived