amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
November 2014

Rtd208

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't rule out the possibility of thunderstorms tomorrow afternoon with the extremely impressive mid-level lapse rates. With cold temps aloft, sleet or even a snow mix is possible well NW of the city, with graupel possible elsewhere.

attachicon.gif8.gif

The 0z NAM also has TTs in 50s and steep low-level lapse rates tomorrow afternoon.

2qkv11v.jpg

oh4h6o.jpg

This worked out pretty well! Reports of graupel and sleet near-by with convective gusty showers (not sure if thunder occurred), and snow in NE PA.

First flakes / traces are likely to happen in this upcoming pattern; I agree with that. But in order to achieve accumulations, all the proverbial ducks need to be aligned perfectly. A conducive regime in December, January or February might produce a SECS, while that same pattern in November may not produce for various reasons. November of 1976 was one of the coldest Novembers on record for this area -- mean temp of 39.5F in New Brunswick -- yet only a trace of snow total. So having a major arctic outbreak certainly won't guarantee anything. We need favorable timing, strong blocking, antecedent sfc high pressure / cold air mass, and probably a Miller A low. The two most recent snowy Novembers -- 1995's late November event and 2012's early November event -- were both Miller A / southern origin surface lows. Northern stream Miller B's generally won't perform as well at this time of year due to the ML jet being too far north, and precip-type issues that arise for coastal areas during energy transfers (the warmer SST's play a role in this as well). Point being, the potential is there, but much needs to be accomplished in order to realize that potential in November. However, I'd say first flakes / trace are a virtual lock in the next couple weeks.

good post...we'll probably see a few flakes and there are some in the Poconos as I type...If KNYC gets below 32 it's significant and the 20's would be near record cold for mid month...

Yeah and the funny part is that we basically got nickled and dimed to death. Imagine if we had received just one 18"+ event.

No we didn't. We had 6 events of 4" or greater.

3 events 8" or greater and 2 events of 12" or greater.

NYC:

Dec. 14: 5"

Jan. 2-3: 6"

Jan. 21: 12"

Feb. 3: 8"

Feb. 4: 4"

Feb. 13-14: 12.5"

If that's considered "nickle and dime" then I'll take it every year for the rest of my life.

NYC:

If that's considered "nickle and dime" then I'll take it every year for the rest of my life.

Not to mention that most of these events had snow falling in the teens (and even single digits) and the snow pack lasted for 2+ months. Even in the NYC boroughs.

NYC:

Well said. We snowed in the single digits twice and we snowed on a S wind last year.

Over 70 in colts neck last year . Great winter , Great winter.

NYC:

It's nickled and dimed to me. And up here we only had one event > 12".

Most of our snowier winters have had at least one > 18" event.

At least early to mid next week will be mild again, could see readings in the mid to upper 60s ahead of the front.

Current forecasts show highs in the mid 40s a week from now with lows near freezing to around 30F. So essentially it will be more typical of early to mid December.

It's nothing earth shattering around here in terms of cold but the overall pattern holds promise as we get deeper into the month. Anything that locks in is always a plus.

Deadliest catch

• TodaySE wind 45 kt increasing to 70 kt by late morning. Bering side...seas 20 ft building to 28 ft in the afternoon. Pacific side...seas 24 ft building to 35 ft in the afternoon. Rain.
  • TonightSW wind 70 kt. Seas 45 ft. Rain showers.
  • SatSW wind 55 kt. Seas 39 ft bering side...41 ft pacific side. Rain showers.
  • Sat NightW wind 60 kt. Seas 40 ft.

Archived