joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Massive Nor'easter Disco 10/21-25

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What causes that? Just localized intense winds that cause seas to build and then ripple eastward?

As some of the others mentioned, it's definitely pressure related. Ideally, you would have the wave and pressure perturbation translating at the same speed. This would allow the wave to grow with time and produce almost a tsunami like feature. So often times it's associated with strong thunderstorm activity, because they can locally reduce pressure.

I saw I that verification map posted that your area did quite well AIT.

I didn't see it.  I'm pretty sure my guage is reading badly--it's showing a storm total of 1.53" so far.  I know it's higher than that.  I know Hippy was running well ahead of me 5 miles away and that neighboring town Conway was running similar to Chris.

It was a wet one.  Of course, unless it's white and piling up, who really cares?  :)

I am resigned to cleaning up tomorrow. Ths storm stripped most of the leaves off at least.

I've got an all day soccer tourney tomorrow in South Windsor with games starting at 8:00 and ending at 5:30. 

Another 2 games Sunday..one at home and one in freaking Farmington at 12:45..so my weekend is shot.. I've been doing it Friday this fall..Once a week.

Amazing there's still a ton leaves on the Oaks to come down..freaking things

Hmm, I've seen better verification than this. You can add another 1-1.5" for today's rainfall that's not included in that analysis, but we're still probably overshooting reality by 1-2" especially for the Mid Coast. Should work out okay for Portland.

Storm_Total.jpeg

nws_precip_neng_2.png

That I-90 swath from ALB to BOS is darn impressive...that certainly was not well modeled. 2"+ in the Catskills on that firehose.

I didn't see it.  I'm pretty sure my guage is reading badly--it's showing a storm total of 1.53" so far.  I know it's higher than that.  I know Hippy was running well ahead of me 5 miles away and that neighboring town Conway was running similar to Chris.

It was a wet one.  Of course, unless it's white and piling up, who really cares?  :)

Got get yourself a Stratus Cocarahs manual gauge

The Cocorahs observer in Shelburne 2.2 NW has a 2.72 2 day total

Mikes tipper on his Davis has issues, Either its has something blocking it or its in serious need of calibration, Manual gauge will rule out issues if its a calibration problem, Now we know why he has trouble getting enough qpf........... :lol:

Another 0.71" overnight, for storm total of 3.84", with 2.53" in the last 24 hr. Just some dz/--RA on the commute, but another area of rain came in from the NE after I left, though the moderate patches may stay north of my gauge. Sandy is rising, but less so than would be the usual for nearly 4" RA, thanks to the extended time period and the preceding dry 2 months. Oct. total rainfall at 6.33", avg is 5.51" over 16 yr records, my rainiest month.

Mikes tipper on his Davis has issues, Either its has something blocking it or its in serious need of calibration, Manual gauge will rule out issues if its a calibration problem, Now we know why he has trouble getting enough qpf...........

Maybe. The morning announcer on the classical music station said he recorded only about 1/4" yesterday - his normally accurate gauge was clogged with leaves and pine needles.

1.34" storm total so far, though that includes a 24-hour period of virtually nothing between two other periods of rain. 0.75" in last 24 hours.

Highest storm total I can find in VT is West Halifax down on the VT/MA border with 3.30". That's right over the border from MoneyPitMike on the east side of the Greens.

Mikes tipper on his Davis has issues, Either its has something blocking it or its in serious need of calibration, Manual gauge will rule out issues if its a calibration problem, Now we know why he has trouble getting enough qpf...........

Maybe. The morning announcer on the classical music station said he recorded only about 1/4" yesterday - his normally accurate gauge was clogged with leaves and pine needles.

I thought these sitings were supposed to be well away from trees, or at least as far away as the trees are tall (ie 30ft away from a 30ft tall tree). I guess with a lot of wind you could get debris in it, but that seems close to me if you're getting leaves in it. Close enough to get rain bouncing and blowing off trees into the gauge.

I get tons of insects but even if all the trees in the yard fell over, they wouldn't come close to the gauge.

It's frustrating. With the wind, I have literally no place to put a gauge without interference.

Yeah I guess places have to work with what they have...not going to cut trees down in your yard just for measuring water.

But even without wind, even during heavy thunderstorms the most liquid will fall just outside a trees canopy as those big tropical drops explode and bounce out from away from trees, so you get the liquid falling straight down plus the excess stuff coming off the trees. But you can't put it under the canopy as you'll be just as low as the gauge just outside the canopy is high.

Archived