joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Fall 2014 Banter Thread

IsentropicLift

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like we are going to have the same nonsense this winter as last winter in the storm forum threads if this weeks  Coastal Storm thread is any indication - alot of one word - one liners - banter -getting off the subject and 1 poster has made about 25 % of the nearly 300 posts in that thread - hope the posting rules change for the good of the forum to make these threads easy to navigate through...........

Looks like we are going to have the same nonsense this winter as last winter in the storm forum threads if this weeks Coastal Storm thread is any indication - alot of one liners - banter -getting off the subject and 1 poster has made about 25 % of the nearly 300 posts in that thread - hope the posting rules change ...........

And every storm with a sharp cutoff being compared to 2/6/10

Looks like we are going to have the same nonsense this winter as last winter in the storm forum threads if this weeks  Coastal Storm thread is any indication - alot of one word - one liners - banter -getting off the subject and 1 poster has made about 25 % of the nearly 300 posts in that thread - hope the posting rules change for the good of the forum to make these threads easy to navigate through...........

Guessing this is being targeted at me...

Nobody is treating this "storm thread" as a serious storm. If this was a legit storm things would be a lot different. Plus the board would be in storm mode anyway.

Guessing this is being targeted at me...

Nobody is treating this "storm thread" as a serious storm. If this was a legit storm things would be a lot different. Plus the board would be in storm mode anyway.

Honestly you're doing nothing wrong so I don't see why that would be directed at you.

Looks like we are going to have the same nonsense this winter as last winter in the storm forum threads if this weeks Coastal Storm thread is any indication - alot of one word - one liners - banter -getting off the subject and 1 poster has made about 25 % of the nearly 300 posts in that thread - hope the posting rules change for the good of the forum to make these threads easy to navigate through...........

Oh jeeze. Lol

Looks like we are going to have the same nonsense this winter as last winter in the storm forum threads if this weeks Coastal Storm thread is any indication - alot of one word - one liners - banter -getting off the subject and 1 poster has made about 25 % of the nearly 300 posts in that thread - hope the posting rules change for the good of the forum to make these threads easy to navigate through...........

I didn't see anything really off topic in that thread. I think you are kind of just stirring the pot

It was half an inch of rain that busted on the low side. How much discussion can you have about that?

I didn't see this shared by anyone I know but looks like we'll be dealing with these fake stories all winter

A funny thing happened on Facebook today.

At some point this morning, the headline “Large snowstorm could slam N.J. next week” began appearing on the massive social network.

It started off slow, making its rounds here and there by 9 a.m. But by noon, it had exploded, crisscrossing the Facebook pages of thousands of users who were growing increasingly worried that New Jersey was going to be hit with a snowstorm in the second week of October.

The problem? The story was written 18 months ago.

There is no snow in the forecast for New Jersey. There never was.

“The forecast for the next eight to 14 days is for above average temperatures,” said Gary Szatkowski, meteorologist in charge at the National Weather Service. “So nobody needs to get all worked up about phantom snowstorms.”

In fact, a broad swath of New Jersey has not seen measurable snow before October 10 in more than two centuries.

“It would be unprecedented in the annals of record-keeping,” said David Robinson, the state climatologist at Rutgers University. “We don’t even have evidence in a diary of someone writing about any such snow.”

The article is dated March 1, 2013. It includes an editor’s note at the top, in bold, pointing this out and referring to its erroneous recirculation on social media. The reporter that wrote it left the Star-Ledger months ago.

It appears that doesn't matter. As of this writing, the story has been shared on Facebook more than 12,000 times. While Facebook posts are harder to monitor, the uproar on Twitter shows many have been fooled by the headline.

The article in question is the latest victim in a growing line of viral weather hoaxes and misdirections fueled by the immediacy and explosive nature of social media sharing.

Archived