joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Fall 2014 Banter Thread

IsentropicLift

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How often do we have snow threats to track in mid November?

thats what makes following the weather so interesting is not knowing when - did anyone on this date 2 years ago expect a record breaking hurricane to strike the region at the very end of October and 2 weeks later a snowstorm ? Never discount any possibliity by making blanket statements - will eventually come back to bite you ........

thats what makes following the weather so interesting is not knowing when - did anyone on this date 2 years ago expect a record breaking hurricane to strike the region at the very end of October and 2 weeks later a snowstorm ? Never discount any possibliity by making blanket statements - will eventually come back to bite you ........

There was no blanket statement. One said tracking snow in a month the other said 2 months...much more likely that we aren't tracking snow threats til at least December like most years.

IMO - since there has been under 5 inches of snow total in NYC in  October in 145 years of record keeping you can't just make a blanket statement like that .......I am sure in previous years before 1868 there were quite a few octobers with snowfall and the following winter was above average - it happened in 1876 and 1925

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/okx/climate/records/monthseasonsnowfall.html

both years had a blizzard...two in one week in Feb. 1926...2002 had two consecutive nights with sleet accumulating in some spots at the end of October...1952, 1962, 1972 and 1979 had slushy accumulations in spots and the winter that followed had below normal snowfall...2011 was a historic October event...We might not see that again for 100 years...The early November 2012 snowstorm will probably not be equaled in many years...

There was no blanket statement. One said tracking snow in a month the other said 2 months...much more likely that we aren't tracking snow threats til at least December like most years.

so you are guaranteeing for the record that we will not be tracking ANY snow threats till at least December 1st this year ?

Good lord did anyone notice i said "albeit small for coastal locals"? This statement was made for away from the coast with chances of snow showers or little back end snow that middle of november from a storm. We all know december 1st we start seeing real snow threats for even coastal regions. We have seen numerous times in november and even late october appreciable snows for well inland NJ, PA and the hudson valley north. Its POSSIBLE we'll be tracking snowstorms i didnt guarantee anything. Well except for Snow88 posting the 384 GFS daily at that time, that is almost a layup :lol:

Good lord did anyone notice i said "albeit small for coastal locals"? This statement was made for away from the coast with chances of snow showers or little back end snow that middle of november from a storm. We all know december 1st we start seeing real snow threats for even coastal regions. We have seen numerous times in november and even late october appreciable snows for well inland NJ, PA and the hudson valley north. Its POSSIBLE we'll be tracking snowstorms i didnt guarantee anything. Well except for Snow88 posting the 384 GFS daily at that time, that is almost a layup :lol:

No he meant were Sundog and I guaranteeing that we wouldn't see snow in November because its unlikely. Neither of us thought you were guaranteeing snow in November either just that its much more likely we won't be tracking for at least 6 more weeks or so.

No he meant were Sundog and I guaranteeing that we wouldn't see snow in November because its unlikely. Neither of us thought you were guaranteeing snow in November either just that its much more likely we won't be tracking for at least 6 more weeks or so.

Agreed. Like i said though possibilities for a measureable snow event well N&W of NYC becomes much more likely by mid-late november where we near the coast tend to wait as you said beginning of december

Significant to major snowfall events have certainly occurred prior to December 10th, but by and large, even in our better years, "real" winter doesn't get going until after the 10th. December 10th - March 10th is my definition of the 3 month period in which snow is most likely to fall, toward the middle of the meteorological and astronomical winter start and finish dates. Any meaningful accumulation both before Dec 10th and after March 10th I consider to be a bonus.

Significant to major snowfall events have certainly occurred prior to December 10th, but by and large, even in our better years, "real" winter doesn't get going until after the 10th. December 10th - March 10th is my definition of the 3 month period in which snow is most likely to fall, toward the middle of the meteorological and astronomical winter start and finish dates. Any meaningful accumulation both before Dec 10th and after March 10th I consider to be a bonus.

So just to be clear you're guaranteeing no snow prior to December 10th?  ;)

I noticed that as well. It's really not that hard to get banned here. You get one mod with a quick trigger finger and you can easily rake up points quickly.

I remember i got temp banned by that guy am19psu when he was here. I know i wasnt the smartest but i certainly wasnt trolling or rustling jimmies to deserve that

I remember i got temp banned by that guy am19psu when he was here. I know i wasnt the smartest but i certainly wasnt trolling or rustling jimmies to deserve that

His moderating style was very strict, which had both positives and negatives. For one, he would never allow the type of banter that plauges many of the storm threads around here these days.

Archived