Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Fall 2014 Banter Thread

IsentropicLift

Guest Imperator

I dont think he'll be that stupid and risk losing posts in a serious storm thread during the winter

I agree, plus he would have a nervous break down if that happened to him.  :snowing:

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congrats everyone

ztc3n5.png

no doubt someone in the metro will probably see the 1st flakes of the season if that type of system develops the first week of November - the GFS has been hinting at a storm in the time period from around Halloween through early November for a few days on and off - although this model forecast  is clearly overdone - can't totally discount snowfall this early in the season because of what happened in 2011 and 2012............One other problem is the AO is forecasted to be positive during that time period and the NAO is still in question

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/daily_ao_index/ao_index_ensm.shtml

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/pna/nao.sprd2.gif

no doubt someone in the metro will probably see the 1st flakes of the season if that type of system develops the first week of November - the GFS has been hinting at a storm in the time period from around Halloween through early November for a few days on and off - although this model forecast is clearly overdone - can't totally discount snowfall this early in the season because of what happened in 2011 and 2012............One other problem is the AO is forecasted to be positive during that time period and the NAO is still in question

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/daily_ao_index/ao_index_ensm.shtml

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/pna/nao.sprd2.gif

Surely this would be an event that favors areas well inland N&W of NYC. Only time will tell but im willing to be most of us next month may see some type of wintry precipitation. Albeit probably spotty but having snow showers/brief periods of snow even on the coastal plain isnt all that rare in november.

I hope we torch through December 1st. The thought of accumulating snow prior to Thanksgiving makes me throw up in my mouth a little.

The CFS V2  look cool . Week 3 - 4 look cold. 

And too your point , The snow in Nov - 73 - 10 , were  preludes to crud. 

I hope we torch through December 1st. The thought of accumulating snow prior to Thanksgiving makes me throw up in my mouth a little.

No snow. But I don't think we want to just blowtorch next month either. Didn't Don S put out some very warm Nov numbers a few years ago that showed a correlation to lower snowfall winters for NYC?

Think we may see some quick hitting snow showers, periods of lighter snow during some of our "colder" storms in november. I too am very nervous when we recieve signifigant snows in november as its a precursor to a winter in the toilet literally

This is something I would love to hear some expert opinion on.. I normally would agree with you, however, the last few years has seen a change in weather patterns; not only being more volatile, but likewise a colder trend and situations proving to work in our favor the majority of the time. That being said, and put long windedly, since the earthquake that rocked Japan we have seen what I believe to be a major shift in the weather for the northeast region of the United States (and globally for that matter). My hypothesis is that the earthquake having thrown off the earth's axis ever so slightly (verified by many different news agencies and science outlets) may have tipped the physics of our climate in such a way that the patterns have changed and become likewise much more volatile in certain ways. For evidence on this fact I will point to Sandy, how the Nor easters have developed (rapid cyclogenesis and strength) the last few years and how dismal the models have been since that time. Furthermore, I will point to the February blizzard following Sandy as well as the flooding event that ripped through central LI in mid-summer. Thoughts?

Think we may see some quick hitting snow showers, periods of lighter snow during some of our "colder" storms in november. I too am very nervous when we recieve signifigant snows in november as its a precursor to a winter in the toilet literally

I think its more of a coincidence. There haven't been enough significant snow events at the coast prior to thanksgiving to say its a precursor to a bad winter

This is something I would love to hear some expert opinion on.. I normally would agree with you, however, the last few years has seen a change in weather patterns; not only being more volatile, but likewise a colder trend and situations proving to work in our favor the majority of the time. That being said, and put long windedly, since the earthquake that rocked Japan we have seen what I believe to be a major shift in the weather for the northeast region of the United States (and globally for that matter). My hypothesis is that the earthquake having thrown off the earth's axis ever so slightly (verified by many different news agencies and science outlets) may have tipped the physics of our climate in such a way that the patterns have changed and become likewise much more volatile in certain ways. For evidence on this fact I will point to Sandy, how the Nor easters have developed (rapid cyclogenesis and strength) the last few years and how dismal the models have been since that time. Furthermore, I will point to the February blizzard following Sandy as well as the flooding event that ripped through central LI in mid-summer. Thoughts?

The quake may have shifted the east coast of the main island of Honshu up to 13 feet and knocked the earth 6.5 inches off its axis

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2011/03/110316-japan-earthquake-shortened-days-earth-axis-spin-nasa-science/

The quake may have shifted the east coast of the main island of Honshu up to 13 feet and knocked the earth 6.5 inches off its axis

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2011/03/110316-japan-earthquake-shortened-days-earth-axis-spin-nasa-science/

"That's exciting, Gross said, because the wobble is large enough that scientists might actually be able to measure it, not just calculate it, by looking for small changes to Earth's tilt."

Thanks for the link to the article

With all due respect - I would suggest you do some research before you come to that conclusion - going back to the start of record keeping there have been some very good winter snow accumulation years when it snowed more then an inch in NYC in November - and a prime example is the top snowfall winter of 1995 -96

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/okx/climate/records/monthseasonsnowfall.html

Confidence increasing somewhat for the second noreaster of the season on or about November 1st. Much like the GEFS ensembles first picked up our current storm in the 7-10 day range, the signal is once again apparent. The Euro is far less bullish than the GFS op but its more of a difference with how the energy is being handeled and timing rather than a case where the GFS op is completely out to lunch. Should at least be an interesting week of model watching as this one should have a bit more cold air to work with.

With all due respect - I would suggest you do some research before you come to that conclusion - going back to the start of record keeping there have been some very good winter snow accumulation years when it snowed more then an inch in NYC in November - and a prime example is the top snowfall winter of 1995 -96

Careful using that 95-96 analog it gets a select few in here all hot under the collar :lol:

Confidence increasing somewhat for the second noreaster of the season on or about November 1st. Much like the GEFS ensembles first picked up our current storm in the 7-10 day range, the signal is once again apparent. The Euro is far less bullish than the GFS op but its more of a difference with how the energy is being handeled and timing rather than a case where the GFS op is completely out to lunch. Should at least be an interesting week of model watching as this one should have a bit more cold air to work with.

Yes it Ensembles want no part of it .

post-7472-0-98636900-1414082869_thumb.pn

It was a tongue-in-cheek comment. I'm not fond of early November / late October snow events although the sample size is certainly limited. I'm fine with late November snow events.

There's virtually no correlation between our temperature pattern locally during the autumn and the ensuing winter -- the northern hemispheric pattern is much more important. Cold Novembers have been followed by cold and warm winters, and warm Novembers have been followed by cold and warm winters, in relatively equal numbers.

By the way, the theory behind not wanting October snow events (or early November) is that they tend to occur in response to a major -NAO blocking episode, which over the longer term, tends to foreshadow a more +NAO in the ensuing winter. That correlation has weakened somewhat over the past decade, but when one examines the 1950-2000 period, there was actually a fairly robust inverse correlation between October NAO modality and the ensuing DJF NAO modality. Namely, you don't want the major blocking episode to initiate at the wrong time -- October -- as the tendency has been for a relaxation to follow thereafter.

They show more ridging toward Alaska which is good I assume but again it just shows the huge differences between either the OP and the ensembles or the gfs and Euro. I think November will be more volatile than expected though still skew warmer.

At 0Z its ensembles argues for RIDGE on the East Coast IMO . So I assume we open the month above normal  .

And different than what the GFS sees . 

post-7472-0-42943000-1414087616_thumb.pn

Archived