• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
August 2014 Obs and Discussion

H2O

57.5F/ 53F here in Clarksburg. 7th <60F low of this J/J/A so far. Very nice.

Interesting stat.  I'm surprised that number isn't higher.

Last night was the 25th <60F low here during the JJA period.  10 in June, including a low of 46F on June 1, 10 in July, including a low of 50F on July 30, and 5 so far this August.  I don't have the time to research other summers, but I'd be surprised if that's happened many more times in the semi-recent historical record.

• Replies 716
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still pretty far out but yea, looks like a string of +3 to 5's is a fair guess. Maybe a but warmer. Not really a big deal.

I welcome it as well. The heart of summer is gone and we have much more pleasant temps in the books than brain melting days. No matter what happens, this summer has been as close to perfect as you can ask for. Windows open tonight again. My wallet loves nights like this.

FWIW, next week Accuwx forecast for here now doesn't show even a single 90.  Highest temp is 87 on Thursday.  The only 90 on the entire forecast is now on the 24th (90F). I'm sure it'll still change from here, but right now it's a far cry from the week of mid-upper 90s it showed a few days ago.

FWIW, next week Accuwx forecast for here now doesn't show even a single 90. Highest temp is 87 on Thursday. The only 90 on the entire forecast is now on the 24th (90F). I'm sure it'll still change from here, but right now it's a far cry from the week of mid-upper 90s it showed a few days ago.

I don't recall seeing any forecast or modeled mid- to upper-90s for next week. Maybe 90 or so for a day or two, but nothing more than that.

Either way, I have no issues at all with that being knocked back to upper-80s and a chance of storms. As long as I don't get brutal heat the week after when I'm down in Hilton Head, I'm good. It'll almost certainly be humid and right around 90 during the day and 76 at night, but more than that and it gets pretty nasty.

I'm not surprised. That has been the pattern this summer. Modeled big heat becomes heat and modeled heat becomes garden variety warmth. I suppose it's better this way. Warm days, decent nights.

Indeed, big heat has been getting powned most of this summer.  Except for being locally very dry, this has been as nice a summer can get in these parts.

Got down to 56 at the closest PWS.

I don't recall seeing any forecast or modeled mid- to upper-90s for next week. Maybe 90 or so for a day or two, but nothing more than that.

Either way, I have no issues at all with that being knocked back to upper-80s and a chance of storms. As long as I don't get brutal heat the week after when I'm down in Hilton Head, I'm good. It'll almost certainly be humid and right around 90 during the day and 76 at night, but more than that and it gets pretty nasty.

It was discussed in the 90 degree tracker thread.  On Aug 7, the Accuwx LR had a solid week of mid and upper 90s on tap for next week.  Others cast their doubts on such an outcome and it appears - thankfully - they may be proven correct.  I'd love to be able to say I had zero 90 degree days in August 2014.

Radar is in what is called "Clear air mode" it makes the radar highly sensitive. It also reduces wear and tear on parts. What you're seeing there is likely things like bugs, ground backscatter, weak boundaries, etc. Totally normal.

Thanks for the explanation. I figured it was something like that, I've just never seen it so expansive.

I'm not surprised. That has been the pattern this summer. Modeled big heat becomes heat and modeled heat becomes garden variety warmth. I suppose it's better this way. Warm days, decent nights.

I really haven't even seen any modeled big heat all year. The false signal last month looked like basic above normal stuff. Low to mid 90's iirc but it went poof.

The upcoming pattern is fairly zonal so hp's will still be able to work across to our north at times. But they'll be pac origin and not from way up into our northern neighbor's real estate. Pattern still looks fairly stable so it's noteworthy in the sense that it could end up being the longest stretch of normal to above temps since June (assuming it verifies).

It's pretty cool(pun intended) that IAD/BWI haven't had a single above normal day since July 23/27 respectively. And we'll add to that streak before breaking it. Pretty amazing when you think about it.

Euro ensembles have been advertising the warmest air to mostly stay west of the apps so the middle of the country may end up being warmest relative to normal. The temp anom maps on both the gefs and euro ens show the possibility of hp to push a ne flow into our region. Nothing is showing candian air though so even with that it won't be easy to get cool again. This is all d8+ stuff so no confidence on any specifics. Just tossing ideas.

Interesting stat.  I'm surprised that number isn't higher.

Last night was the 25th <60F low here during the JJA period.  10 in June, including a low of 46F on June 1, 10 in July, including a low of 50F on July 30, and 5 so far this August.  I don't have the time to research other summers, but I'd be surprised if that's happened many more times in the semi-recent historical record.

It actually is as I was basing that off of crusty memory and I have been out of town on leave for 3 of the last 10 weeks.  I went back and checked my actuals and it's been <60F 17 times.  It must have been quite cool when I was out of town.  KFDK is at 20 times in J/J/A and KGAI is at 12 but they have a 10 day break in their data in June so it is likely more.

I'll stick with 62 tho a 63 might be better given where we are now. Honestly a 65 wouldn't surprise me there. Well, continued wind thru the night should offset some of its usual issues.. the river is like 70-75 tho.

Archived