Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
August 2014 Obs and Discussion

H2O

• Replies 716
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is that line to the west going to make it here?

It looks like the line you are referencing has developed along a trough ahead of the cold front, currently in western western WVA. We have a semi stalled warm front just to our south and east. As the storms progresses west into the more stable air to the east and north of the warm front, they are falling apart. I am guessing we need the warm front to move to our north to allow the storms developing along the trough to move in. Whether or not that happens in time before the storms lose their oomph is yet to be seen.

2.2 inches today is a welcome deluge from the recent dry spell. My gardens are in heaven, temporarily.

I woke up with a monster headache too. Doesn't seem to matter how much I drug it, either

glad to know, myself, wife, and some co workers are going through the same thing. seems like major allergies because my eye sight will get wacky. waking up and going through the day with headaches has almost become normal. I have also put it on pressure changes the only thing I can think of, I know I didn't have the headache issue until last September my head would hurt so bad it my teeth would hurt. maybe the headaches are predicting cold and snow for this winter?

a glass of wine will help now. and Advil and water in the morning :)

Yep the teeth were hurting today. Kept brushing them because it made them feel better. Actually hit up the ginger ale and gin. ;)

Does anyone know if NWS keep records for the most rainfall in one hour at the three airports? I wonder if the 2.70 BWI got in one hour yesterday is the most the airport ever received.

From their morning AFD:

.CLIMATE...

A FEW MORE FACTS ABOUT YESTERDAYS HISTORIC RAINFALL. AS WE ALREADY

KNOW...6.30 INCHES OF RAIN WAS RECORDED AT THURGOOD MARSHALL BWI

AIRPORT. THIS IS THE SECOND HIGHEST DAILY RAINFALL TOTAL EVER

REPORTED FOR ANY DAY IN BALTIMORE. THE HIGHEST IS 7.62 INCHES SET

ON AUGUST 23RD 1933 FROM THE GREAT CHESAPEAKE POTOMAC HURRICANE OF

1933. DAILY PRECIPITATION RECORDS IN BALTIMORE GO BACK TO 1871.

BASED ON THE BWI OBSERVATIONS...2.70 INCHES OF RAIN FELL BETWEEN

1654 UTC AND 1754 UTC. BASED ON PRECIPITATION FREQUENCY

STUDIES...THIS OCCURS ON AVERAGE ONCE EVERY 50 YEARS IN A ONE-

HOUR TIME PERIOD. 4.19 INCHES OF RAIN FELL BETWEEN 1554 UTC AND

1754 UTC...WHICH IS APPROXIMATELY A 200 YEAR RAINFALL EVENT FOR A

TWO-HOUR TIME PERIOD.

DURING THE HEAVIEST RAIN...BETWEEN 1629 UTC AND 1732 UTC...AN

INCREDIBLE 3.91 INCHES OF RAIN FELL. ALTHOUGH THIS TIME PERIOD IS

NOT EXACTLY ONE HOUR...THAT AMOUNT FALLS BETWEEN A 500 YEAR AND

1000 YEAR RAINFALL FOR A ONE-HOUR TIME FRAME. THIS MEANS THERE IS

AROUND ONE-TENTH OF ONE PERCENT CHANCE OF THIS AMOUNT OF RAIN

FALLING IN AN HOUR IN ANY GIVEN YEAR AT BWI.

AMAZINGLY...BWI WAS ONLY ON THE EDGE OF THE HEAVY RAIN AXIS. DUAL-

POL RADAR ESTIMATES /WHICH WERE EXTREMELY CLOSE TO GROUND TRUTH IN

THE AREAS WHERE WE HAVE GROUND TRUTH/ INDICATE OVER 11 INCHES OF

RAIN IN THE NABBS CREEK/MARLEY NECK AREAS EAST OF BWI. OUR HIGHEST

GROUND TRUTH REPORT WAS FROM GREEN HAVEN...JUST SOUTH OF NABBS

CREEK...WHERE 10.32 INCHES WAS RECORDED.

August 1, 1971....12+ inches of rain in 2-2.5 hrs during the evening accompanied by nearly nonstop intense thunder and lightning, some hail. Hardest hit was eastern half of Baltimore into adjacent Balto co (Joppa, Whitemarsh, Middle River, Essex, Dundalk).    It remains the most awesome and terrifying thunderstorm experience in my lifetime.   16 killed in flash flooding including 4 fireman trying to rescue others.    Just a note to say it can get worse than this recent event, rarely.

Radar is in what is called "Clear air mode" it makes the radar highly sensitive. It also reduces wear and tear on parts. What you're seeing there is likely things like bugs, ground backscatter, weak boundaries, etc. Totally normal.

It does. I never saw big heat on the horizon, but it'll be nice to return to typical late summer weather. I know I'm in the minority :P

Still pretty far out but yea, looks like a string of +3 to 5's is a fair guess. Maybe a but warmer. Not really a big deal.

I welcome it as well. The heart of summer is gone and we have much more pleasant temps in the books than brain melting days. No matter what happens, this summer has been as close to perfect as you can ask for. Windows open tonight again. My wallet loves nights like this.

Archived