12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
T-Storms Part 2 : "North and West of the city!"

TalcottWx

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Blogged a bit about today's storm here --> http://ryanhanrahan.com/2014/07/28/thoughts-on-todays-tornado/

The Revere tornado brings up interesting questions about how we should be communicated tornado debris signatures and such. Also, this is another example of a TDS that appeared in the NE that hasn't been mentioned by the NWS in warnings or statements - not sure if there is a reason why that is (i.e. they're not using a TDS as confirmation or just not seeing it). 

There was never going to be any lead time for this TOR given the quick nature of how it spun up and spun down. The 2 hours of watching Boston media tweet about "was it a tornado???" was maddening when the TDS confirmed that it was already. 

Blogged a bit about today's storm here --> http://ryanhanrahan.com/2014/07/28/thoughts-on-todays-tornado/

The Revere tornado brings up interesting questions about how we should be communicated tornado debris signatures and such. Also, this is another example of a TDS that appeared in the NE that hasn't been mentioned by the NWS in warnings or statements - not sure if there is a reason why that is (i.e. they're not using a TDS as confirmation or just not seeing it). 

There was never going to be any lead time for this TOR given the quick nature of how it spun up and spun down. The 2 hours of watching Boston media tweet about "was it a tornado???" was maddening when the TDS confirmed that it was already. 

I'm pretty sure its against policy to use the word "confirmed" unless it was visibly seen by spotters, photos, tv crews, emergency manasgers, etc. But I may be wrong.

I'm pretty sure its against policy to use the word "confirmed" unless it was visibly seen by spotters, photos, tv crews, emergency manasgers, etc. But I may be wrong.

I agree to the extent that I think it would be wrong to say that it was confirmed when in fact it had not been confirmed officially yet.  "tweets" are one thing but I'm wondering what was said in live discussions o behind the scenes.  After all, they are meteorologists and I would think that they know how to read signatures just as well as anyone else who has had training.

If it meets polarmetric debris sig criteria it's used as confirmation or radar confirmed.

Sure, but if it had not been officially confirmed than is it acceptable to say that was officially confirmed?  I wasn't able to watch the coverage live but I wonder if there were subtleties of language being used waiting for "official" confirmation from the official source.

I've seen "radar confirmed tornado" from other offices. WDTB training also says a TDS is more accurate conformation than a spotter report!

I've seen "radar confirmed tornado" from other offices. WDTB training also says a TDS is more accurate conformation than a spotter report!

Okay yeah I think "radar confirmed" would be okay. Have to make sure the radar part is in there though.

Sure, but if it had not been officially confirmed than is it acceptable to say that was officially confirmed? I wasn't able to watch the coverage live but I wonder if there were subtleties of language being used waiting for "official" confirmation from the official source.

The own training for the NWS says a TDS " guarantees a tornado has touched down".., that's good enough for me.

I agree to the extent that I think it would be wrong to say that it was confirmed when in fact it had not been confirmed officially yet.  "tweets" are one thing but I'm wondering what was said in live discussions o behind the scenes.  After all, they are meteorologists and I would think that they know how to read signatures just as well as anyone else who has had training.

Why? They reference a "confirmed tornado" when a spotter sees a tornado - why wouldn't you say "confirmed tornado" when radar shows one. The literature shows that a TDS "guarantees" a tornado on the ground... and the NWS own training documents say a TDS is more reliable than a spotter report of a tornado. 

If you say "Radar confirmed a tornado over Revere moving northeast at 25 mph" or something like that I think that gets the message across. 

The 2 hours of waiting for them to say it "was a tornado" is ridiculous IMO. There was no question it was a tornado by 9:35 a.m. Why wait until 11:40 to say it when radar guaranteed a tornado did in fact touchdown?

Great 60-minute light show here, with about 15 strikes/minute for the first half and 30+ for the 2nd. Heaviest rain came in the 2nd 15 minutes, after a quarter hour of near constant gusts 25-35, far from svr but much longer lasting than most TS of my experience. Rain lightened up during the best lightning display, with storm total just over 0.7", and 1.45" for the day.

Okay yeah I think "radar confirmed" would be okay. Have to make sure the radar part is in there though.

Was just going back and looking at old warnings and it's apparently pretty common practice (especially in the central region) to call a storm with a TDS a "confirmed tornado" and then put the source (radar confirmed) in a subsequent line. 

I know they're doing the impact based stuff there... but there's no ambiguity with the fact they're using the phrase "confirmed tornado" when there's a TDS. Why the discrepancy between regions?

Was just going back and looking at old warnings and it's apparently pretty common practice (especially in the central region) to call a storm with a TDS a "confirmed tornado" and then put the source (radar confirmed) in a subsequent line.

I know they're doing the impact based stuff there... but there's no ambiguity with the fact they're using the phrase "confirmed tornado" when there's a TDS. Why the discrepancy between regions?

I noticed it all the time this year in Tornado Alley warnings. When there was a TDS, it said that exact wording "at X:XX, a confirmed tornado was heading...Source: radar confirmed tornado."

But even more appalling about today's tornado with respect to radar:

http://dutchsinse.tatoott1009.com/7282014-boston-massachusetts-another-international-airport-hit-with-a-tornadoa/

I noticed it all the time this year in Tornado Alley warnings. When there was a TDS, it said that exact wording "at X:XX, a confirmed tornado was heading...Source: radar confirmed tornado."

But even more appalling about today's tornado with respect to radar:

http://dutchsinse.tatoott1009.com/7282014-boston-massachusetts-another-international-airport-hit-with-a-tornadoa/

What in the Sam hell is that? Man-made or radio wave induced tornados?

Archived