amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
July Discussion

HimoorWx

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like IJD has been 57-59F all afternoon...upper 50s in southern CT in mid-July is pretty darn comfortable.

Average afternoon dew point for today is 62 at BDL and 64 at BDR, so if you can stay below that consider it a win. BDL normals have begun their step down.

You live in the wrong part of the country. Have you put in for your transfer to PSR or TWC yet?

Haha not quite that hot, I do still like a change in seasons, just need to mute the winter one a bit. Give me 7 months of summer, 2 months of fall, one month of a muted winter, and 2 months of spring. Lol if only it was that easy.

I do have applications in a few locations though.

That much discussed in the past " leathery look" ?

That's funny. I was gonna post the same thing. This is the week Pete would start to post about the leathery look. To me leaves are green from the moment they pop in May to the moment they start to change to yellow in September. I don't know how people see the different shades of green. I liken it to staring at your outdoor lights in the winter waiting for those first flakes... sometimes you see what you want. We've definitely turned the corner though as we do every year in late July. Climo is in step down mode, we're going to start losing 3 minutes of daylight per day, Halloween candy is starting to show up in stores, football camps are open, in 2 or 3 weeks 90 degree days let alone a heat wave start to get pretty tough to squeeze out.

I definitely notice the change in the leaves from May/June to August. They lose that lime green vibrance and become a dull, worn green.

Yeah, it's the hue that I noticed and it's on those trees that you know change first.  Leaves have a cycle of their own from "birth" to "death" and when you look at an entire hillside you can spot the differences, even among species.  This was my first weekend putting in time in a new area that I'm going to tap next spring so it gave me a chance to drive around and take a closer look at things.

Trees look as deep a green as ever . Are folks drunk? It's Late July.not early Sept. We're still in some of the longest days of the year

Yeah they are green but if you do a side by side comparison of trees that you know change in early September, there is a hue difference in the green.  The area I'm talking about was on Rte 190 between Rte 89 in Union and Rte 19 in Stafford.  You'll see light green and dark green on the maples.

Trees look as deep a green as ever . Are folks drunk? It's Late July.not early Sept. We're still in some of the longest days of the year

As much as I like cold departures, I agree, upper Pioneer Valley has been pleasantly mild the past few days but foliage is in tropic mode right now. Lush and beautiful.  Bugs are pesky but wouldn't have it any other way in late July.  Humidity has not been oppressive and the sugar and butter corn is tasty.

I definitely notice the change in the leaves from May/June to August. They lose that lime green vibrance and become a dull, worn green.

That's a good way to put it..."worn green." I can show it in pictures, will look tomorrow if I remember. The landscape is definitely a more muted green...maybe it's the heat that gets to it, maybe the photosynthesis isn't quite what it was, but August green looks "tired."

As much as I like cold departures, I agree, upper Pioneer Valley has been pleasantly mild the past few days but foliage is in tropic mode right now. Lush and beautiful.  Bugs are pesky but wouldn't have it any other way in late July.  Humidity has not been oppressive and the sugar and butter corn is tasty.

No idea what they are talking about. They are as deep a green as they ever get.

The change that takes place is subtle within any one tree.  But as it impacts them all, one does take notice.  It's also something that happens suddenly, like flipping a switch.

I did have my shawl the last two afternoons in the shade.

I'm surprised by the bugs you're having.  We've had amazingly (and thankfully) few this year.  I've had little more than a couple mosquito bites; the deer flies have not bothered me on every run; there was an early rush of ticks in the earlly spring--haven't seen one since April.  Additionally, the inside ant infestation we have had in June  each year of the 6 years we've been here never happened.  Lastly, the crazy and hateful earwig invasion has typically been in full-swing by now.  It's been very muted--probably due to the lack of dews.  We'll see what the next couple of days bring.

62.4/62, foggy.

Whenever I've had the chance to view the hardwood ridges from a light aircraft at fairly low altitude, I'm impressed by the variation in greens, from quite dark to almost lime, and that doesn't include the unhealthy yellowish green of trees under major stress. The "worn look" includes some tattering from wind (needs a close look to discover), and some dullness on certain species. The opposite is true of red oak, which begins light and dull then becomes dark and shiny in early July.

Down near 50 again this morning, clouds haven't arrived though some bright echoes up near Canada.

Whenever I've had the chance to view the hardwood ridges from a light aircraft at fairly low altitude, I'm impressed by the variation in greens, from quite dark to almost lime, and that doesn't include the unhealthy yellowish green of trees under major stress. The "worn look" includes some tattering from wind (needs a close look to discover), and some dullness on certain species. The opposite is true of red oak, which begins light and dull then becomes dark and shiny in early July.

Down near 50 again this morning, clouds haven't arrived though some bright echoes up near Canada.

I estimate that here we're about 75% maple, 10% cherry, 15% pine/oak/other.  Essentially, whatever happens to the maples drives the visuals.

No idea what they are talking about. They are as deep a green as they ever get.

I'd take some pictures to show you but with today's increased humidity they wouldn't come out as well.  We need better weather to take better pictures.  No one is saying color - just that the green is a different shade compared to what they were and only on trees that you know change way earlier than everything else. 

Besides, everything isn't as green as it once was.  If you look at tall grass and weeds along the roads, you'll notice that some are completing their life cycle.  It might be the middle of the growing season but things still have a cycle.  Just as I tap maple trees in the middle of winter with no sign of spring, sure enough the sap starts flowing.  I'm sure the same thing is happening chemically within the trees that I saw with their chlorophyll.

I'd take some pictures to show you but with today's increased humidity they wouldn't come out as well. We need better weather to take better pictures. No one is saying color - just that the green is a different shade compared to what they were and only on trees that you know change way earlier than everything else.

Besides, everything isn't as green as it once was. If you look at tall grass and weeds along the roads, you'll notice that some are completing their life cycle. It might be the middle of the growing season but things still have a cycle. Just as I tap maple trees in the middle of winter with no sign of spring, sure enough the sap starts flowing. I'm sure the same thing is happening chemically within the trees that I saw with their chlorophyll.

Absolutely correct! It's kind of like the difference between a 20 year old vs 50 year old person.

Jesus ... wtf is that all about.  You guy's so despise summer your languishing the dulling of the green, as though to hasten its departure.

Good luck with that.

Yeah, the greens may dull, and the autumn foliage will inevitably take its place.  Some years that's a week or so sooner, or later.  Right now on July 27, however,  we have ~2.5 months to wait for that too happen.  Deal with it. 

Archived