• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
June 2014 Obs and Disco

wxmeddler

With lots of clouds so far this morning, it's really nice out.  DP is down to 47F?  Hard to believe.

Total zilch in the rain dept again yesterday, but it was a nice bust low on the temps..... 82F for the high.  Initial forecast was high of 89F, which was reduced to 86 by late morning, but still ended up too high.  While by no means a nice week, our high for the week was 92.  For 3 days, it wasn't really that bad.

KOKV is off the reservation with that DP.  No other station shows DPs below 56F.  It's nice out, but it's not that nice out.

• Replies 667
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So annoyed that today is beautiful and tomorrow is going to be cool, cloudy and rainy. The hubby felt that because a milestone birthday for me is coming up that we should celebrate. Hard to swim, grill, play corn hole in the rain....

So annoyed that today is beautiful and tomorrow is going to be cool, cloudy and rainy. The hubby felt that because a milestone birthday for me is coming up that we should celebrate. Hard to swim, grill, play corn hole in the rain....

Happy 21st?

Move out my way.  You'll never have to worry about a rain-out again.

Cluster of storms to our south and to our north.  The cluster south is building northward now that is east of us.  Just another day in the desert.  Chalk today up as another 0.0 in the bucket.  That leaves me with .less than .75" since May 15.  At least it's cloudy and, while muggy, not too hot today.

Wow that is pretty dry, I've had 7.05 since the 15th of May.....

True to form, DCA had a much lower RH value in the overnight hours.  DPs around 49/50.  BWI 50/51, IAD 51/53.  This all makes sense because of the recent rainfall and more vegetation near IAD.  So, it comes down to temps.  BWI and IAD both radiated well (51 as the low for both), while DCA stopped at 60.  So, is DCA's sensor wrong?  Well, most of the downtown DC stations went down to 58 to 60, and the buoy south of DCA had a low of 62.  Seems like the UHI and water temps can account for the DCA low.  So, what's wrong with DCA again?

All the other stations in the DCA obs package radiate out to 1-2 degrees of their dewpoint many nights, DCA never does.

It was in another thread but I posted about 5/6 days ago that big changes were coming starting 6/20. Big changes are here, probably not above 75 tomorrow, then low to mid 80's to dominate next week, I think 70% likelyhood we see no more than one 90* high the rest of the month.

NWS backpedaling on rain chances for metros overnight haha. Gonna be mostly dry. However, any rain that does fall would kick our collective asses with higher dewpoints.

Told ya the klingon anti rain shield was in good working order.

This is one of those years when we pine away for rain in the summer, then get relentlessly waterboarded with rain all fall and winter.

EDIT - Dewpoints are rising right into the 60s. Not only is the cloud cover keeping nighttime temps summerlike, temps are rising. Overnight lows just went straight out the window. No radiative cooling whatsoever tonight. Forget that so-called low of 63 that was forecast by NWS. Our low will be 71 tonight with 65 dewpoints. If that sun peeks out the clouds tomorrow, we will end up with yet another humid warm day just like a few days ago. "Cold fronts" arent worth a shyte this summer. There will be absolutely NO rest at all for the summer-weary, Humid wx will rule.

This is gonna be one HUMID son of a hellish bytch summer season.

I'm starting to like the idea of a heatwave to open the month of July. There's some support for it in the modeling, and the tropical forcings favor it...

I'm not sure I agree. The ens means are showing a bias towards weak troughing through the first 5-6 days of July. Certainly not a cool look but with w-nw ul flow and no big ridge it's going to be hard to really bake us. I think the southern 3rd of the country could really bake though. Pretty far out there though.

Here's last nights euro 5 day means for the end of June and  early July. You can really see the effects of the ull during the close of june. With the trough entering the west we normally ridge out and roast but ridging is held at bay. Still looks plenty warm though just not evil. Early July looks pretty tame on the run. 

post-2035-0-32597000-1403361736_thumb.jp

post-2035-0-96361700-1403361748_thumb.jp

The look implies a boundary setting up somewhere near us as well. Could be showery for a period. 

Much will depend on the evolution of the closed ull between hudson and greenland. Models seem to think it gets pinned in that area. It's going to be tough to get ridging going in the east with that configuration. The gefs supports the idea as well but like any guess at this lead, confidence is low. 

I'm not sure I agree. The ens means are showing a bias towards weak troughing through the first 5-6 days of July. Certainly not a cool look but with w-nw ul flow and no big ridge it's going to be hard to really bake us. I think the southern 3rd of the country could really bake though. Pretty far out there though.

Here's last nights euro 5 day means for the end of June and early July. You can really see the effects of the ull during the close of june. With the trough entering the west we normally ridge out and roast but ridging is held at bay. Still looks plenty warm though just not evil. Early July looks pretty tame on the run.

end of june.JPG

early july.JPG

The look implies a boundary setting up somewhere near us as well. Could be showery for a period.

Much will depend on the evolution of the closed ull between hudson and greenland. Models seem to think it gets pinned in that area. It's going to be tough to get ridging going in the east with that configuration. The gefs supports the idea as well but like any guess at this lead, confidence is low.

Thanks for the reply. I guess I'm hesitant to put a lot of weight into the forecast location of the ULL given that the large scale circulations/tropical forcings suggest a trough in the west for that time. This is a pretty legit MJO event..first one in awhile.

I guess we'll see. I hope your prediction is true if means we finally get some legit severe around here. :lol:

Thanks for the reply. I guess I'm hesitant to put a lot of weight into the forecast location of the ULL given that the large scale circulations/tropical forcings suggest a trough in the west for that time. This is a pretty legit MJO event..first one in awhile.

I guess we'll see. I hope your prediction is true if means we finally get some legit severe around here. :lol:

I'm probably wrong. Ensembles haven't been very good at higher latitudes lately. Take away that ull and we can sweat missiles and drink evening air.

On a persistence note, we have yet to establish any anomalous lasting warm pattern all year. They come and go when they do set up. On a climo note, were moving into primetime for a shot at triple digits. On a personal note, I despise Bermuda highs like 33 and rain.

I'm probably wrong. Ensembles haven't been very good at higher latitudes lately. Take away that ull and we can sweat missiles and drink evening air.

On a persistence note, we have yet to establish any anomalous lasting warm pattern all year. They come and go when they do set up. On a climo note, were moving into primetime for a shot at triple digits. On a personal note, I despise Bermuda highs like 33 and rain.

Lol, I hear ya brother. You could be right, and agreed that any heat should be relatively transient.

If we do wind up with the heat, I hope we put that CAPE to good use.

Goodness gracious.

Late June, strongest sun of the Year, mid afternonn and my temp is 67.4, down another degree in the last hour. My description almost a month ago of what the pattern would be and the pressure system movement was spot on and this change in pattern that I referenced 5 days ago is more pronounced that I thought. Hard to say right yet what will happen starting Juny 1 but I think this basic repetitive pattern will continue thru at least mid July.

Goodness gracious. Late June, strongest sun of the Year, mid afternonn and my temp is 67.4, down another degree in the last hour. My description almost a month ago of what the pattern would be and the pressure system movement was spot on and this change in pattern that I referenced 5 days ago is more pronounced that I thought. Hard to say right yet what will happen starting Juny 1 but I think this basic repetitive pattern will continue thru at least mid July.

You have done well on the pattern of late.

Archived