joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
May 2014 Banter Thread

Eskimo Joe

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am so sorry to hear the news. With all bad things come good ones, so hopefully after all this is over you can look back and say it was for the best. Good luck with your search.

Thanks. It is what it is, economy sucks so **** happens. My husband is telling me to look at it as a mini vacation, yes look for jobs, but to also focus in me, recharge, regroup, refocus. Will get to spend some more time with the little one and take care of never ending projects here at home. So staying positive.

Thanks. It is what it is, economy sucks so **** happens. My husband is telling me to look at it as a mini vacation, yes look for jobs, but to also focus in me, recharge, regroup, refocus. Will get to spend some more time with the little one and take care of never ending projects here at home. So staying positive.

That is the best outlook for sure, plus getting to spend all day with your daughter will be amazing. Hopefully your new job will be even better than your last. Keep your head up and it will all work out.

That is the best outlook for sure, plus getting to spend all day with your daughter will be amazing. Hopefully your new job will be even better than your last. Keep your head up and it will all work out.

We are still going to send her to daycare, but only two days a week. I don't want to completely remove her from that social interaction, or lose our spot as I hope this change is very temporary. But thanks.

Sorry to hear that Mapgirl...best wishes for the future. :)

Do you really think any of the things you just listed haven't existed forever?

All these extracurricular's that you just mentioned......will they take less time to complete if school starts later? Will students get home earlier if school starts later? Regardless of what time you start the "day", the activities in "it" still take the same amount of time. How exactly is that going to lead to "more" sleep? In fact, under this plan, students will get home later than ever.

Sorry, but if you graduated in 2010, I've been teaching 6 years longer than you've been alive. I've seen the changes that have taken place in schools and none of them have to do with sleep. They all have to do with the "powers that be" wanting shining results without any "discomfort". What has changed is that accountability and discipline are dirty words. I'll stick with what I said, this is just another attempt to "fix" things that can only be fixed one way.....with sacrifice and, yes, some suffering. But that's unacceptable in our "everyone's a winner" world. No setbacks allowed.

This won't be the cure all that they think it will be.

I certainly don't think it will be a cure all. No system is perfect. Lets say school starts at 9, ends at 4. After school activities for 2 hours, home by 6:30, finish HW by 10:30-11:30, to bed by 12:30, awake at 7:30 for 7 hours of sleep.

Vs.

School ends at 2, after school activities, home by 5, finish HW by 9, but can't fall asleep until 11:30 (remember many teenagers don't feel tired and have difficulty sleeping until later), up at 5:00 for 5.5 hours of sleep.

First scenario, 7 hours, 2nd scenario, 5.5 hours.

You mentioned that kids would get home even later under a later opening. Perhaps some would, yes. But maybe some could cut back on extracurriculars to get home at an earlier hour. I'm not saying cut them out--I understand the importance of extracurriculars and know things are learned during such activities that cannot be learned in a classroom. But instead of 3, maybe cut back to 2, for example.

Again, no system is perfect, and a 9:00 start time isn't some panacea. Some kids may get home later, negating the benefits of a later start time and making things pretty much the same for them. But is it a better system than the one currently in place and would it allow for more sleep for more high schoolers? I believe the answer to those questions is "yes."

Not trying to be argumentative, but generally curious in asking this ;) : you mention taking accountability and instilling "discipline": what would that entail in this particular case and how would it lead to more sleep?

Ummmmm.....I work southern swing shift, if I get 5 hours sleep ANY day of the week it is a blessing. Been doing it for 27+ years and I'm still functioning. :whistle:

Today (it is still today right?) I got home at 7am, bed at 7:30, up to get haircut at 11:45, mowed MIL's grass for almost 6 hours, home at 8 pm, ate, packed up for work, back here at 10:30. Tonight is my last night shift, so when I get home....no bed. I stay up to try to 'cycle' back around to sleeping at night. I'll mow my grass, then son and I plan on kayaking on river. Sleep will happen after the Blackhawks game of course.

I by no means was trying to say high schoolers have it worse than any one else. I know there are many jobs that lead to less sleep than recommended (and less than HS students currently get). And yes, people with these jobs still function, but certainly getting more sleep would be more ideal+ healthier (though again, I understand more sleep is impossible with a lot of jobs :) ). But if the problem facing high schoolers can be even slightly remedied by a later start time, I think it should be done. That's all I was saying. ;)

Also, 6 hours of lawn mowing is impressive--must be a big lawn! ;)

Sorry to hear that Mapgirl...best wishes for the future. :)

I certainly don't think it will be a cure all. No system is perfect. Lets say school starts at 9, ends at 4. After school activities for 2 hours, home by 6:30, finish HW by 10:30-11:30, to bed by 12:30, awake at 7:30 for 7 hours of sleep.

Vs.

School ends at 2, after school activities, home by 5, finish HW by 9, but can't fall asleep until 11:30 (remember many teenagers don't feel tired and have difficulty sleeping until later), up at 5:00 for 5.5 hours of sleep.

First scenario, 7 hours, 2nd scenario, 5.5 hours.

You mentioned that kids would get home even later under a later opening. Perhaps some would, yes. But maybe some could cut back on extracurriculars to get home at an earlier hour. I'm not saying cut them out--I understand the importance of extracurriculars and know things are learned during such activities that cannot be learned in a classroom. But instead of 3, maybe cut back to 2, for example.

Again, no system is perfect, and a 9:00 start time isn't some panacea. Some kids may get home later, negating the benefits of a later start time and making things pretty much the same for them. But is it a better system than the one currently in place and would it allow for more sleep for more high schoolers? I believe the answer to those questions is "yes."

Not trying to be argumentative, but generally curious in asking this ;) : you mention taking accountability and instilling "discipline": what would that entail in this particular case and how would it lead to more sleep?

Short answer: sleep isn't the problem. Allowing students to attend school, do next to nothing, act out and show nothing but contempt and disrespect the whole time, and then allow them to advance destroys the whole system. When schools, and the public, are ready to return to the concept that students should be required to demonstrate reasonable behaviors and that do it right or do it over is the standard operating procedure, then schools will be able to achieve the success they are currently flailing blindly for. Until then, forget it. Success will only come by changing the definition of success.

Short answer: sleep isn't the problem. Allowing students to attend school, do next to nothing, act out and show nothing but contempt and disrespect the whole time, and then allow them to advance destroys the whole system. When schools, and the public, are ready to return to the concept that students should be required to demonstrate reasonable behaviors and that do it right or do it over is the standard operating procedure, then schools will be able to achieve the success they are currently flailing blindly for. Until then, forget it. Success will only come by changing the definition of success.

A N D we have a WINNER!  ;)

Of course, PARENTS have to help too. 

I by no means was trying to say high schoolers have it worse than any one else. I know there are many jobs that lead to less sleep than recommended (and less than HS students currently get). And yes, people with these jobs still function, but certainly getting more sleep would be more ideal+ healthier (though again, I understand more sleep is impossible with a lot of jobs :) ). But if the problem facing high schoolers can be even slightly remedied by a later start time, I think it should be done. That's all I was saying. ;)

Also, 6 hours of lawn mowing is impressive--must be a big lawn! ;)

It is...unfortunately. 2 hours weed-eating and then blowing everything clear, 4 hours actual mowing.

A great dry day to have a large White Pine tree removed next to the house that suffered some significant  damage in the early Feb. ice storm.  It was just too close to the house and twice as tall, so I decided to eliminate it.  I had a smaller, dead Red Oak removed from the lawn area too.   Then had the ground regraded, seeded, and topped with hay so hopefully the grass begins to grow.   My yard feels roomier now with that pine tree gone.

A great dry day to have a large White Pine tree removed next to the house that suffered some significant damage in the early Feb. ice storm. It was just too close to the house and twice as tall, so I decided to eliminate it. I had a smaller, dead Red Oak removed from the lawn area too. Then had the ground regraded, seeded, and topped with hay so hopefully the grass begins to grow. My yard feels roomier now with that pine tree gone.

White pines are horrible. We've had dozens removed and two that self-removed along with multiple panels of our fence. One was over 60 feet and took about a week to get out of the yard with a chainsaw

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Pffftttt....I just cut the grass with the garden hose attached to my waist. It was refreshing

Evaporative cooling FTW

I am running the sprinklers out back to see if it helps make my gardening more pleasant. With 65 dewpoint it is not doing much.

Our wailing little nugget of joy and poop, Mackenzie Rose, was born on Wed. Such a whirlwind.

Congrats!!! My wife is in her second trimester with our first. Nothing like a February snowstorm baby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived