Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
May 2014 Banter Thread

Eskimo Joe

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No rosemary, which was disappointing. Apparently they're a bit of a pain to grow from seed.

Wow, I'm surprised. They had a 5 level rack full of rosemary at my local one. Must be popular. I plant them around the outside of my other appetizing herbs that deer love to eat. Deer hate rosemary. Works like an electric fence.

Next Saturday is going to be pretty wild according to the zone fcst ;)

MDZ010-180300-

HOWARD-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...COLUMBIA

730 PM EDT SAT MAY 17 2014

.SATURDAY...PARTLY SUNNY WITH A 30 PERCENT CHANCE OF RAIN SHOWERS.

HIGHS IN THE LOWER 70S. TEMPERATURE FALLING TO AROUND 80 BELOW IN

THE AFTERNOON.

$$

T-minus 1 week until baby-day.  Everything's ready, I hope, except didn't put the pack-n'-play together since it was too damn nice out this weekend

Congrats, it is the most exciting time of your life. Enjoy and once you get it down it takes like 1 minute to put together a pack n play.

T-minus 1 week until baby-day.  Everything's ready, I hope, except didn't put the pack-n'-play together since it was too damn nice out this weekend

As much as you think you are ready you won't and will be if that makes sense.  You still will need to get a few things as needed but there is a natural instinct that kicks in and taking care of a baby will just happen.  You will do fine.

do you have a baby swing? my kiddo loved the baby swing, hours just swinging back and forth, sleeping, eating, swinging. was a life saver the first few days when i could hardly move.

do you have a baby swing? my kiddo loved the baby swing, hours just swinging back and forth, sleeping, eating, swinging. was a life saver the first few days when i could hardly move.

I think we got a bouncer instead of a swing

Starting school later will solve the problem of sleepy kids....yep....I'm certain they will go to bed at the same time and get more rest....absolutely certain....that they won't!

Just another attempt at correcting problems created by a lack of discipline and accountability without imposing discipline and accountability.

Starting school later will solve the problem of sleepy kids....yep....I'm certain they will go to bed at the same time and get more rest....absolutely certain....that they won't!

Just another attempt at correcting problems created by a lack of discipline and accountability without imposing discipline and accountability.

Some high schoolers get on the bus between 5:45 and 6am. To get on the bus at 5:45 you'd have to wake up at 5:20ish at the latest(unless you, uh, walk out of bed and to the bus stop in your PJs), and for many who need more than 30 minutes to take a shower/eat breakfast/etc., even earlier (I would always get up an hour before i had to leave). But for the sake of the argument, we'll use 5:20. It is recommended teens get at least 8 hours of sleep, but let's assume that's unrealistic and shoot for 7. Waking up at 5:20 would thus require you to go to bed between 10:00 and 10:30.

That's often just not possible. A lot of kids have after school activities and don't get home until 5-6. Then add the heavy amount of HW that kids taking numerous AP classes have, and going to bed at 10 just won't happen. Plus teenagers experience a circadian rhythm shift causing them to feel alert later at night, making it difficult to go to bed early even if they tried to.

I graduated from HS in 2010. There was a stretch during my junior year where on Wednesdays I wouldn't get home until between 10:30-11:00 because of after school stuff. I would finish my HW by 2am, head to bed, and get up four hours later at 5:45am (I was one of the lucky ones in that my bus stop was one of the last ones in the morning). That's just under four hours of sleep...and I wasn't alone. That's not healthy, no matter how one tries to spin it. Nor is it ideal for the best learning. ;)

It's easy to say "tell the kids to get off the computer and go to bed at 10:00! Take some accountability!" It's not that simple at all. There are numerous factors at play that make going to bed at a decent hour impossible for many high schoolers. Fairfax isn't the only county discussing this, and for good reason. There has been a lot of research that has gone into this possible change--it's not just being done all willy-nilly. Although I admit to not knowing all the logistics behind it, it's a great idea and I think they should go through with it. I just wish they had implemented later start times when I was in HS. ;)

Some high schoolers get on the bus between 5:45 and 6am. To get on the bus at 5:45 you'd have to wake up at 5:20ish at the latest(unless you, uh, walk out of bed and to the bus stop in your PJs), and for many who need more than 30 minutes to take a shower/eat breakfast/etc., even earlier (I would always get up an hour before i had to leave). But for the sake of the argument, we'll use 5:20. It is recommended teens get at least 8 hours of sleep, but let's assume that's unrealistic and shoot for 7. Waking up at 5:20 would thus require you to go to bed between 10:00 and 10:30.

That's often just not possible. A lot of kids have after school activities and don't get home until 5-6. Then add the heavy amount of HW that kids taking numerous AP classes have, and going to bed at 10 just won't happen. Plus teenagers experience a circadian rhythm shift causing them to feel alert later at night, making it difficult to go to bed early even if they tried to.

I graduated from HS in 2010. There was a stretch during my junior year where on Wednesdays I wouldn't get home until between 10:30-11:00 because of after school stuff. I would finish my HW by 2am, head to bed, and get up four hours later at 5:45am (I was one of the lucky ones in that my bus stop was one of the last ones in the morning). That's just under four hours of sleep...and I wasn't alone. That's not healthy, no matter how one tries to spin it. Nor is it ideal for the best learning. ;)

It's easy to say "tell the kids to get off the computer and go to bed at 10:00! Take some accountability!" It's not that simple at all. There are numerous factors at play that make going to bed at a decent hour impossible for many high schoolers. Fairfax isn't the only county discussing this, and for good reason. There has been a lot of research that has gone into this possible change--it's not just being done all willy-nilly. Although I admit to not knowing all the logistics behind it, it's a great idea and I think they should go through with it. I just wish they had implemented later start times when I was in HS. ;)

Ummmmm.....I work southern swing shift, if I get 5 hours sleep ANY day of the week it is a blessing. Been doing it for 27+ years and I'm still functioning.  :whistle:

Today (it is still today right?) I got home at 7am, bed at 7:30, up to get haircut at 11:45, mowed MIL's grass for almost 6 hours, home at 8 pm, ate, packed up for work, back here at 10:30. Tonight is my last night shift, so when I get home....no bed. I stay up to try to 'cycle' back around to sleeping at night. I'll mow my grass, then son and I plan on kayaking on river. Sleep will happen after the Blackhawks game of course. 

This issue has come up before.  The biggest problem is that kids still might have a hard time getting enough sleep due to all the things they do once school is done.  The amount of homework given can take hours to do nowadays.  

Do you really think any of the things you just listed haven't existed forever?

All these extracurricular's that you just mentioned......will they take less time to complete if school starts later?  Will students get home earlier if school starts later?  Regardless of what time you start the "day", the activities in "it" still take the same amount of time.  How exactly is that going to lead to "more" sleep?  In fact, under this plan, students will get home later than ever.

Sorry, but if you graduated in 2010, I've been teaching 6 years longer than you've been alive.  I've seen the changes that have taken place in schools and none of them have to do with sleep.  They all have to do with the "powers that be" wanting shining results without any "discomfort".  What has changed is that accountability and discipline are dirty words.  I'll stick with what I said, this is just another attempt to "fix" things that can only be fixed one way.....with sacrifice and, yes, some suffering.  But that's unacceptable in our "everyone's a winner" world.  No setbacks allowed.

This won't be the cure all that they think it will be.

Everyone wish waterboy a happy birthday! he is old. er.

Happy b day h-to-oh! You're almost farting dust. Not yet but almost.

Thanks mappy and Bchill.  :)

I'm still a kid at heart so expect doody jokes and other general silliness.

Happy birthday!!

I'd make a joke about your age, but, um, well..

Pot/kettle and all that.

(((Hugs))). Enjoy your day! :)

Thank you!  It's a race to see who gets the first AARP card.  When that happens I'll cry.

Happy Birthday H2O, enjoy your day. Many more happy healthy ones.

Thanks!

Archived