12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Snow Bro Banter Thread

ennepe68

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's do what we can to push peak cherry blossoms to the end of April!

I want a new record snowfall. This means another two feet.

And yes yes yes for a good April event. At least 1", more would be preferable.

Not sure how peak won't drift a bit at this pt. May happen after the festival. Oops.

Looks like they'd have some temperature issues as is.. but some snow for sure.  Of course when the GFS is east everyone says it's right where we want it as it tends to have a SE bias at range.  For now it keeps the signal alive more than anything probably.

Thanks. Right now, the map I have makes it look like the entire state is going to get hit with a decent amount. That would be pretty incredible. It is difficult enough for them when they get any in January and February, I can't imagine what the reaction would be if they actually got that much in late March. 

For reading this models at this time of year, does it tend to be a good idea to lower the accumulation totals some to account for road temperature and sun angle?

I'd like to believe that the spot over NC really wants to be positioned right over us. 

Thanks. Right now, the map I have makes it look like the entire state is going to get hit with a decent amount. That would be pretty incredible. It is difficult enough for them when they get any in January and February, I can't imagine what the reaction would be if they actually got that much in late March. 

For reading this models at this time of year, does it tend to be a good idea to lower the accumulation totals some to account for road temperature and sun angle?

I'd like to believe that the spot over NC really wants to be positioned right over us. 

I'd think they lose some to melting .. roads for sure.  There's a bit of a timing issue for now on the GFS esp up here as a lot comes during the day. Initially it's fairly cold down there overnight tho.  But then there's also a secondary piece of energy that might be bunk anyway.  It's probably like 1-3/2-4 in the max zone as is.. on grass.  The rest I'd be skeptical about. But the run arguably moved in the right direction.

This is ending 8a Tue and it's quite cold.. after that it's above freezing where most of the snow falls

post-1615-0-40858000-1395292091_thumb.pn

I thought they got something from the 5th and 6th event....oh well.

First ob in thread (I think)

Looks like a few showers trying to push in here and up that way in northern VA now.

I just realized that I forgot to check the mail, and there is something important that I am waiting for. I will update with my ob when I get back in.

I'd think they lose some to melting .. roads for sure.  There's a bit of a timing issue for now on the GFS esp up here as a lot comes during the day. Initially it's fairly cold down there overnight tho.  But then there's also a secondary piece of energy that might be bunk anyway.  It's probably like 1-3/2-4 in the max zone as is.. on grass.  The rest I'd be skeptical about. But the run arguably moved in the right direction.

This is ending 8a Tue and it's quite cold.. after that it's above freezing where most of the snow falls

attachicon.gifgfs_ptype_slp_ma_45.png

Thanks!

All of my knowledge comes from a college oceanography class I took in 2007, obsessively following CWG, and reading whatever I can on line.

I can calculate the sun angle anywhere on earth using an analemma, but otherwise I am still learning as I go. I've always loved weather.

Ob: I went out wearing a tee shirt.  It actually feels a lot warmer out than it really is. Yay sun angle? It is definitely quite foggy; the humidity is FINALLY ramping up. Looking at the sky, it does appear as though something is attempting to push its way through. Does 1:25am count as read sky in the morning, or at night? Should sailors be taking warning, or delighting?

I just took some trash out. Felt mild, yet damp. Felt a very light drizzle/mist going on. I'm very impressed how fast my beloved 8.5" of snow melted. Dang, even the piles I made in the shade melted. When shoving your driveway. Does anyone else here make snow piles in shaded areas just to see how long they will last? Or am I just a freak?

I just took some trash out. Felt mild, yet damp. Felt a very light drizzle/mist going on. I'm very impressed how fast my beloved 8.5" of snow melted. Dang, even the piles I made in the shade melted. When shoving your driveway. Does anyone else here make snow piles in shaded areas just to see how long they will last? Or am I just a freak?

I'm the official snow piling freak.

In 1987 in Woodbridge when I was living with friends I piled up snow piles 14 FEET tall in front of their house in January. I spent HOURS piling snow from the road on the north side of their house. The snow piles lasted a Looooooong time. Everyone referred to me as the snow guy lol after that winter.

This forum has a bit of an elitist disease.. I won't pretend I'm not part of it, but I don't get as bent out of shape as some people. I don't see any issue with having a thread that's more newer enthusiast/fun focused. If people don't like it they don't have to enter it. Not like the front page doesn't have threads that are half a month old on it anyway. It's a fun group.. I think in the end long timers here would enjoy a lot of the "snowbro" stuff anyway.

Hi longtime lurker first time caller,snow bro forever, 8-10 new on vacation in Newry Maine. Great thread.

Wednesday March 19 2014

Today we had light rain with a high temperature of 41  degrees. That is what allowed the snow to make it til after 5pm this afternoon. I had an inch of snow on my northeastern lawn which still meets criteria to increment one more day on my 'days of snow cover' counter in my sig. The incredible thing is that we may still get MORE snow next week! This is one INCREDIBLE winter!

The north facing front lawns of houses on the Glendale Slope (which is on Glendale Road in Glendale in Dale City) had very little snow left on them. The Leninskaya Slope (which is a northwest facing grassy slope situated at the Darbydale Rd/Minnieville Rd Intersection) had no snow left today. I took another jebwalk in Delaney Valley (this is the valley immediately behind the Sharon Baucom Recreation Center on Minnieville Rd in Dale City for all you new sno bros lol). There was still some snow patches in Delaney Valley and in the woods nearby, and there was an inch of snow on the west northwest slope there.

This will probably be the last of the St Paddys snow because tonight it will not fall all that much and all of the remaining snow will melt.

It is amazing all the snow we have seen this winter. Dale City in Virginia has seen 44 inches this season! Normal climo is 19-20 inches in one season. We have had 53 days of snow cover so far this winter season! That places this winter on par with the infamous 2002-2003 snow season.

Stay tuned folks -  I think we are going to be demolished by snow next week too.

This winter LOVES the Mid Atlantic so much - I dont think it wants to end.

I love winter so much, I want it all year round. Snow and the Polar Vortex are my two best friends in this world.

Dale City just might be catching up to Ginxy's and weathafella's snow tallies for this season LMAO

I will take advantage of this thread, as any disco I try to add to the main disco threads is never good enough.

6z GFS has two chances...it has the Sunday threat - light for our area but heavier down toward Richmond for some snow and then it scrapes us as the storm that everyone is looking at goes up the seaboard on Wednesday. That stays too far east on the OP for a good hit for anyone on the seaboard. 

But, it is still there. 

This is so exciting being both a big fan of CWG and a fan of Americanwx's deep analysis but hoping for somewhere in between. Maybe if more knowledgeable people could try their best to have dumbed down explanations of complex concepts, since all I and many others can do is just look at snow totals and trends. Its very hard to make the jump from being able to understand everything in a CWG article to what is being discussed in the model disco here.

Predictably, the 6z GFS has corrected west. It is now in much better alignment with the ensemble. Not only its ensemble, but that of the European as well.

please.  No serious wx discussion in this thread.  We are only supposed to talk about how to make snowbromen, snobroangels and snowbroballs.

How does one make a snowman with a popped collar?

Archived