joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
3/6-3/7 Last Hurrah Obs

Hvward

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm starting to wonder what's happening east of macon. In milledgeville, at around 8am. It was 40 over 34. Now it's 34 over 31.   Despite a 6 degree temp drop, the dewpoint didn't rise at all. It's strange since the radar appearence on reflectivity mode looks noticably "milky" east of macon vs to the east and south. Correlation Coefficient radar would seem to indicate rain though.

Macon has seen a similar pattern. They were 39 with a dp of 33 when the rain started. Now they are 36 and 32.however, the last few observations out of macon show unknown precip and freezing rain (although temps are above freezing). not much precip has fallen there as to the east but despite this they certainly are not reporting just rain. Obviously the freezing rain observation is in error but given the temp/dp trends it makes me wonder.

This is sort of strange to be honest. I know the wedge is still building in and this could just be a product of drier air being advecting in and lowering the temps some but I would have still expected a rise in dewpoints after precip started and certainly not dropping with the temp. 34 is pretty cold considering how warm millidgeville was just 2 hours ago.  makes you wonder what the temps will do up in the drier and colder air in north ga/upstate. Something to watch i guess.

makes you wonder what the temps will do up in the drier and colder air in north ga/upstate. Something to watch i guess.

Says every met and/or weather geek this side of the Mississippi. 

37/15 thick cloud cover and (finally) serious winds! 

Ignoring it is no longer an option. I tried, though.  :facepalm:

too bad radar isnt show a huge batch of precip on our doorstep at the moment lol.  dewpoint continues to fall here, down to 15 and the temp is 39

Yeah I was hoping earlier the gfs would be right in developing a huge blob of heavy precip over southern alabama and move it over north ga. Unfortunately it completely busted on that.

I just posted this in the other thread though..precip is already hitting the ground here (rain and sleet). I expected it to take a while considering how dry it is from 850mb down but it started not long after returns came overhead. Certainly a little surprised there. Temp has dropped to 38. Temp got up to 41 before it started. So 3 degrees in about 5 or 10 minutes. . Dewpoint is 19, was 17 before it started. Will be interesting to see what falls up your way when it gets there as mid level temps are colder where you are.

Skies here in Dunwoody now have that milky look of virga for the first time. Also, the radar is now starting to show returns very close. The models had suggested that the radar would start filling in at about now and it may very well be doing that. My temp. has fallen close to 2 during the last 1.5 hours or so to near 43. Hoping for some fun here this afternoon and tonight!

I'm starting to wonder what's happening east of macon. In milledgeville, at around 8am. It was 40 over 34. Now it's 34 over 31.   Despite a 6 degree temp drop, the dewpoint didn't rise at all. It's strange since the radar appearence on reflectivity mode looks noticably "milky" east of macon vs to the east and south. Correlation Coefficient radar would seem to indicate rain though.

Macon has seen a similar pattern. They were 39 with a dp of 33 when the rain started. Now they are 36 and 32.however, the last few observations out of macon show unknown precip and freezing rain (although temps are above freezing). not much precip has fallen there as to the east but despite this they certainly are not reporting just rain. Obviously the freezing rain observation is in error but given the temp/dp trends it makes me wonder.

This is sort of strange to be honest. I know the wedge is still building in and this could just be a product of drier air being advecting in and lowering the temps some but I would have still expected a rise in dewpoints after precip started and certainly not dropping with the temp. 34 is pretty cold considering how warm millidgeville was just 2 hours ago.  makes you wonder what the temps will do up in the drier and colder air in north ga/upstate. Something to watch i guess.

Your telling me about being strange with the temps things.  We are now at 36/31 and models are doing a pretty bad job with it.  EURO seems to be the closest, but the rap and hrrr try to push us up back to around 40.  I am a little surprised our Td's didn't rise at all during the rain.  Kind of tells me we could be in trouble when it comes to the dynamics.  Also, could be why models are struggling a bit with qpf over our areas because its so dry.  

Archived