Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA & The Fringes - March 2014 Pt. I

• Replies 973
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MDT only dropped to 12 last night, so once again no record low. I thought for sure that we'd break the all-time March record given some of the temps being reported at nearby Wunderground sites, but it was not to be. Strange.

Still 18 at MDT. It's amazing they might go all year without setting a record low despite all the cold. Tonight should be a record but it just won't drop it seems.

January 7 and 30th set record lows... I think we set more record cold highs than record lows this winter... January 7, 22 for sure and I think there is at least one other

this Jan/Feb has had Harrisburg see more days with highs at or below 32 than any Jan/Feb since 1994 as well as overnight lows falling below the 10 degree mark since also 1994

For me this winter will be remembered for the cold despite sitting at twice our annual snowfall. According to records at MU you have to go back 20 years to find a year that started out this cold.

And stating the obvious, this winter has demonstrated to me that the three most important ingredients for snow are cold air, cold air, and more cold air. To log the snowfall that we have had without the help of persistent Atlantic blocking shows that it doesn't matter how the cold happens just that it does.

MDT only dropped to 12 last night, so once again no record low. I thought for sure that we'd break the all-time March record given some of the temps being reported at nearby Wunderground sites, but it was not to be. Strange.

I really didnt think we would break any records last night... air mass is cold but not cold enough to see values close to that early January cold... there were a few days last week that were forecast to get down near 0 at MDT and those didn't pan out so I expected the same last night with the winds a light breeze nearly all night and the cloud cover moving in... my low at the house was 9

as for future outlook... I don't really see anything potentially big until what the 0z Euro shows as a threat the middle of next week... may once again have things in our favor for a big storm but missing the energy to take advantage of it... by no means calling end of winter, just dont have next threat jumping around and waiving its arms to announce itself yet

Got a feeling if next week's storm is a miss, winter is (precip wise) essentially dead for us down here. Heck temps look to begin to moderate quite a bit late this next week up in the 40s for a while finally.

what the models are showing now does not look to move enough cold air in and lock it in place the rest of this week/next week which is what we need across southern PA now... we get a few shots of colder air but no system after

GFS running with about an inch of liquid in the snow cover around the LSV again :facepalm:

who is first hand weather? they have an article out on facebook telling everyone a big storm is coming next week. :-)

Some "weather authority" which should be ignored, but unfortunately their hysterical posts catch public attention and ultimately make the whole meteorological profession look bad when inevitably they bust.

Lol did u guys check out the mid Atlantic thread... some guys are ranking storms by how they screwed other people in their sub forums.

Mid Atlantic is used to getting screwed over last minute while the northerners cash in.

Still 24 degrees at 10:30PM. I'm kind of doubting we get down the forecast low of 8 degrees tonight.

and the forecast lows for tonight will bust low once again... GFS has been off by 10-20 degrees here at night for the past week

Got down to 17 last night which was 9 above forecast. I can live with the below average highs if the nights stay warmer than projected. My oil tank and checkbook need a break...

Archived