• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA & The Fringes - March 2014 Pt. I

Just looked at eps and yuck. Takes low right over us 850s blast way up into ny. Rain signal. My fear here is I do believe the more amped solution and the trough axis seems too far west and the thermal boundary too north for that. A lot of time left but I don't like that the more amped the solution is the more of a rain solution because I think more amped wins here.

• Replies 973
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PBP 0z EURO from NYC Forum:

00 Z ECM Data & Summary 

126 Hrs One low over W Alabama and One low over OK .. Warm from PA south -no precipitation in the area 

132 Hrs 991 MB low over N Arkansas 1000 low over E KY and 1007 Mb low south of the FL panhandle still no precipitation in the area. Temperatures starting to cool off from N PA south...
138 hrs 990 low over W VA and 1006 low off Haterras and 992 low over W TN ..Light QPF knocking on the door

144 hrs 991 MB low over E KY with moderate to heavy QPF in Western PA and light to moderate eastern PA and NJ 
Temperatures warm upper 30s to lower 40s
150 Heavy QPF across E PA and Northern NJ including NYC ..989 mb low over W VA Temps low 30s inland and along the coast ..long island mid 30s 

156 NYC dry slotted ..Heavy QPF in Western PA Lighter QPF E PA .. 985 MB low just W Of DE..Temperatures lower 30s 

162 hrs Very heavy QPF SE PA Heavy QPF E PA and all of NJ Including NYC ..983 MB east of NJ 
Temperatures 20s inland to around 30 along the coast..

168 hrs 980 E of Cape Cod

Euro is still a major snowstorm but it's out on its own.

On its own? Euro Ens and GGEM Ens support a similar solution. The GFS has been bad all winter. Im already getting the snow blower ready.

EDIT : Alright yes, its on its own as far as a monster but it isnt like the other models arent showing something interesting... GFS is a solid snowfall especially for EPA./

Looking at coop storm reports for this area I'm starting to realize this is the worst spot for someone who loves big snows (18"+). I had 6 of those in 6 years living in northern md but it seems they almost never happen here. Even in historic storms the totals are just kinda mediocre. Coastals seem to crush the lsv thv lns area and inland runners crush western pa and the poconos but I'm not sure if any solution gives the area around mdt to mui a 20"+ storm. Seems climo here is just nickel and dime city.

Looking at coop storm reports for this area I'm starting to realize this is the worst spot for someone who loves big snows (18"+). I had 6 of those in 6 years living in northern md but it seems they almost never happen here. Even in historic storms the totals are just kinda mediocre. Coastals seem to crush the lsv thv lns area and inland runners crush western pa and the poconos but I'm not sure if any solution gives the area around mdt to mui a 20"+ storm. Seems climo here is just nickel and dime city.

I-99 east to maybe I-81 just isn't a favorable place for major snow totals especially over the last decade, for the reasons you cited- coastals are too far east and midwestern storms are too far west. Also, the SWFE type events that nail the I-90 corridor are often sleetfests south of the PA border. It seems like back in the 1990s there were more frequent coast huggers and heavier totals west into PA.

Mostly small events and few winters to keep cold afterwards - this one the obvious exception. 2010 twin terrors of Feb, 2003 PDII, SOTC 3/93, Blizzard of 96, Blizzard of 78, PDI = all recorded 18+ inches, just to name a few. Burke did a breakdown and his top ten have to go back pretty far to get to ten and record the "heaviest" snow axis from MDT-RDG.

Not regularly, but often enough. You just need a larger base sample to make a fair comparison.

The last time we have had 18" or more here has to be 93 so dont think its just your area.

Its been forever since i have seen a 12"+ storm (the feb storm a few years ago was close but not quite)

Mostly small events and few winters to keep cold afterwards - this one the obvious exception. 2010 twin terrors of Feb, 2003 PDII, SOTC 3/93, Blizzard of 96, Blizzard of 78, PDI = all recorded 18+ inches, just to name a few. Burke did a breakdown and his top ten have to go back pretty far to get to ten and record the "heaviest" snow axis from MDT-RDG.

Not regularly, but often enough. You just need a larger base sample to make a fair comparison.

a few of those storms you listed even missed the area I am now, about 30 miles northeast of mdt, with heavy snows and a lot of them had their max zone somewhere else. I get the real feeling this is not an area that sees the bullseye very often. Lots of fringes. I got used to being the bullseye for my latitude a lot where I was before. We are looking to relocate either to the poconos or along 83 near the pa md border if I stay in Baltimore for work. That area near 83 is a perfect example. Their avg might be a little lower then here but I bet their odds if a 12 or 18" snow are significantly higher. Poconos of course would be the best place for snow.

Archived