joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March Banter Thread

CAD_Wedge_NC

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope the models are wrong about any wintry weather next week. I am ready to move on.

Not yet, Brick. On and off cold for the next couple of weeks is still likely. Cold interludes can come as late as they want as far as I'm concerned as we'll see plenty of warmth later.

Must have either been a cold shower or a hot shower, courtesy of the fastest hot water heater in the world! :D Glad you got your power back!

Gas hot water heater.  The hot water has been sitting in there waiting for pressure since the outage began.

I'd rather us just stay on it year-round.  Having daylight in the afternoon means I can actually do something with that time after work, instead of it being wasted while I'm driving to work or sitting in a windowless office.

I understand and it is very nice for me to have more daylight in the evenings for walking. However, for myself, being able to stay up for the Euro during all of March and early April is far more important. As a matter of fact, I think that Congress has good reason to pass a law amending DST to start in later April like it did in the past, just to make it easier for people to see the Euro. I mean there must be the better part of 100 folks nationwide who could benefit from this! ;)

I have a feeling the models will really start sinking their teeth into next weeks storms with the 0z runs. At least the 850s look sufficiently cool this time... of course 33 and rain was a blessing for MBY with the last storm, not a fan of power outages. When I have 33 and rain I get the same mental image as those people on Hoarders who walk into the house after 15-20 years.

I'd rather us just stay on it year-round.  Having daylight in the afternoon means I can actually do something with that time after work, instead of it being wasted while I'm driving to work or sitting in a windowless office.

I'd rather have more daylight at the end of the day, too. And before long the sun will be coming up earlier, so it all evens out. I hate when we turn the clock back and it is dark at 5:30 and I feel like going to sleep at 8:00.

Well DLST could be worse. If it was up too Torontos crackpot mayor we would have fell back another hour instead of springing foward an hour.

Just think if it was 2 hours behind the new Euro start time would have been 12am instead of the normal 1pm/1am time now 2-3 timeframe.

Well DLST could be worse. If it was up too Torontos crackpot mayor we would have fell back another hour instead of springing foward an hour.

Just think if it was 2 hours behind the new Euro start time would have been 12am instead of the normal 1pm/1am time now 2-3 timeframe.

I'd go for this in a heartbeat. Wow, the Euro starting near 12 AM! We could stay up for the whole run and still get a halfway decent night's sleep. I'd be smiling day and night knowing that. :) And a side benefit of Goofy starting at 9:30 PM and the Crazy Uncle shortly thereafter!! What a great evening of model watching that would be. Well, I guess one can dream because it isn't going to happen.

I love when days are short and nights are long. The hot, humid days of summer become fewer and farther between, and the north wind brings the fresh, crispness only felt with the arrival of fall. The mornings are cool, but the afternoons are still warm, and the evening shadows grow long over the fields, getting ready for their seasonal harvest.

The days grow shorter, and by and by, the autumn sun is not quite so high anymore. The cool, morning dew becomes a frosty prelude to a colder time. Pumpkins, in all their evening glory, lay waiting to fulfill their destinies, lighting the landscape with scary faces or set atop dinner tables baked into sweet, unique tastes of fall.

The descending daylight diminishes further, and the specter of approaching darkness reaches even into the midday hour, conjured forth by the relentless marching onward of time. Spooks and ghouls now own the night, haunting every street until each piece of candy has been abandoned by its former owner. Sounds of laughter, sounds of terror set beneath the full moonlight give an eerie sense of life to this night that seems to stretch on and on – far longer than it should. But even the longest nights are compelled to surrender to the breaking of light upon the horizon. So as day rushes forth, the morning light washes away the restlessness of the night, and its shadows steal away, slipping back into their extended slumber, darkly dreaming of a chilly, autumn night on which to return and terrorize the land.

Thoughts now begin to turn toward home. The harvest is finished, and friends and families gather together to celebrate and give thanks for time shared and abundant blessings. The countryside is peppered with haystacks and corn stacks and baskets laden with the first fruits of the season. Trees of dull green seem a distant memory, replaced now by the brilliant blaze of autumn hues. The heavens are alive as great, meandering streams of birds head south in search of warmer days. And the chopping of firewood warns of the waning light of autumn’s final hours.

Even as the year grows old, the laughter of children rekindles the lost imagination of earlier times and reliably reminds of the newness of life. The smell of fresh evergreen fills the air, as the hustle and bustle of a new season bids fond farewell to fall. Ribbons tied, lights strung, mangers set, and stockings hung mark the beginning of even colder days and even longer nights. Smoke wafts from chimneys, lights dot the landscape, and carols are carried along on the breath of the winter wind. Spirits are lifted as the days draw down, and for a moment, just a moment, the busy, unrelenting call of life is stilled by a silent, faithful peace – a peace of a certain sweetness that seems to be most frequently found this time of year.

So as the first specs of snow drift slowly downward, I am thankful for the end of another year – for all it brought and all it taught – for everything lost and everything gained. For soon, a new one will arrive. Soon, the melting of the snow will give way to the sound of rushing water, as cool spring rains fill the brooks and streams to their brims. Soon the warm sunshine will awaken the world, and it will once again be alive in brilliant color of a different kind. Soon, the roll of distant thunder and the heat of the afternoon will join the creak of a rocking chair on a nearby porch. And soon, the hot, humid days of summer will begin to feel the gentle nudge of the cool, north wind.

But as the soft and steady fall of the winter’s first snow changes the world into a wonderland of white, I am once again reminded of the joy of a sooner sunset and the peace of longer starlight. And though the faithfulness of time draws near a brighter, warmer day, at this moment, there is no place else that I would rather be than in the midst the chilly warmth of a long winter’s night.

That's just beautiful, CR.  Just pure poetry. 

The Robert Frost of the southland.

Got a joke just for you calculus.

Einstein, Pascal, and Newton are playing hide and go seek. Einstein is counting while Newton and Pascal hide. Pascal runs off and hides while Newton doesn’t move an inch. Instead, he draws a one meter square around himself in the dirt. After Einstein finishes counting, he opens his eyes and says, “Found you Newton! That was easy.”

Newton replies, “No you didn’t. You found a Newton over a square meter.  You found Pascal.” 

Einstein, Pascal, and Newton are playing hide and go seek. Einstein is counting while Newton and Pascal hide. Pascal runs off and hides while Newton doesn’t move an inch. Instead, he draws a one meter square around himself in the dirt. After Einstein finishes counting, he opens his eyes and says, “Found you Newton! That was easy.”

Newton replies, “No you didn’t. You found a Newton over a square meter. You found Pascal.”

For us basic math people and biology high school students and Waycrossians, it's over our heads!?

Newton replies, “No you didn’t. You found a Newton over a square meter. You found Pascal.”

:lmao: :lmao:

We need to quit chasing this March snow pipe dream, and let it go! Time to enjoy the wonderful spring weather that is here for good! Yeah, we may have a few 20 degree nights here and there, but the snow chances are really over , sans a few mtn events, or two counties bordering VA! Let's keep the systems rolling in every 4 or 5 days to keep the drought at bay, and fire up the lawn mowers!

Newton replies, “No you didn’t. You found a Newton over a square meter.  You found Pascal.” 

:D  1 Pa = 1 N/m^2

That's a new one to me, jburns.  I'd never heard it before, but I'll definitely have to steal it and use it on my fellow faculty tomorrow.

So, for the weather connection, a pascal is a unit of pressure.  As weather enthusiasts, we tend to find it in hectopascals, which are equivalent to millibars.  So, that 1040 mb high pressure that we might want to funnel down the eastern side of the Apps in a CAD setup could just as easily be referred to as a 1040 hPa high pressure.

That's a new one to me, jburns.  I'd never heard it before, but I'll definitely have to steal it and use it on my fellow faculty tomorrow.

So, for the weather connection, a pascal is a unit of pressure.  As weather enthusiasts, we tend to find it in hectopascals, which are equivalent to millibars.  So, that 1040 mb high pressure that we might want to funnel down the eastern side of the Apps in a CAD setup could just as easily be referred to as a 1040 hPa high pressure.

Sorry... I'm Waycrossian - plea to the Court.

Well played  :lol:  :thumbsup: 

We need to quit chasing this March snow pipe dream, and let it go! Time to enjoy the wonderful spring weather that is here for good! Yeah, we may have a few 20 degree nights here and there, but the snow chances are really over , sans a few mtn events, or two counties bordering VA! Let's keep the systems rolling in every 4 or 5 days to keep the drought at bay, and fire up the lawn mowers!

blaspheme!

blaspheme!

<Watch the stock market.  Stuff like this is moaned 'exactly' before a 180 shift.

Watch.  1983 I was mowing my lawn... tanned, pretty, fit... exactly this time of the month. BAMMM!  11" of snow in 6 hours the next week.

2014... Yesterday - I mowed my lawn, breathing heavily, white, purple... edge of a stroke or heart attack.

Not pretty as I used to be.  Gut was bouncing to the rhythm.

It can happen!  BTW - If I don't appear again in the next week, or so, it's because I have to chop

the overgrown Myrtles tomorrow.

Don't think about me when you guys get plastered by a quick round of heavy wet thunder snow late next week.

I beg you. 

blaspheme!

Moving on is the hardest part! I've lost alot of sleep waiting on model runs for some winter events that actually panned out, and it was great! I've made peace with winter being over and it feels great! I'm looking forward to next winter, but got to get through this long hot summer! Jim, just let the myrtles live! Lol, if you have to chop something to the ground, take it out on your butterfly bush or your rosé bushes!

Moving on is the hardest part! I've lost alot of sleep waiting on model runs for some winter events that actually panned out, and it was great! I've made peace with winter being over and it feels great! I'm looking forward to next winter, but got to get through this long hot summer! Jim, just let the myrtles live! Lol, if you have to chop something to the ground, take it out on your butterfly bush or your rosé bushes!

It's not over til I hear the ice cream truck!!!  :deadhorse: 

Archived