joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March Banter Thread

CAD_Wedge_NC

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm going to go ahead and congratulate you AL, N. GA, Upstate SC, Western NC, and VA folks on the big dog for next week. You guys are going to get hammered. For us in the Triangle area and eastern NC/SC, we'll likely be mostly on the outside looking in on this one. These upper lows rarely work out well for us. The usually end up tracking right over us or too close to us, bringing warming aloft. It was still a good winter, though. Can't complain at all about 2 4" snowstorms!

Lookout won't joking about the weird CAD for the 3/3 event.

Though technically it didn't start till the 12z run yesterday of the GFS... 6z yesterday didn't have it. Every run since 12z yesterday has been indicating rain to freezing rain for the CAD regions of NC for 3/3. Temps go from an average of 50 to mid 20s in roughly 6 hours with the probability of atleast => .25" ice.

But honestly looking at the 925 temps would almost be supportive of Rain to sleet instead of ZR.

The windshift is prettty amazing too. SSW around 10-15 to NNE

I'm going to go ahead and congratulate you AL, N. GA, Upstate SC, Western NC, and VA folks on the big dog for next week. You guys are going to get hammered. For us in the Triangle area and eastern NC/SC, we'll likely be mostly on the outside looking in on this one. These upper lows rarely work out well for us. The usually end up tracking right over us or too close to us, bringing warming aloft. It was still a good winter, though. Can't complain at all about 2 4" snowstorms!

Agree, not sure why ULL's favor CLT more than us but they definitely do. It will be fun to watch a big dog crush someone, hopefully. Hopefully a March 93 redux.

With the type of pattern we've been in this year, I also think we've been lucky to get what we've got so far. Eastern NC has done well too but again think there was some luck for them. The pattern this year almost reminds me of an extended 1993(from march) pattern that favors the western areas with miller A type systems. Like you, I cannot complain about this year. Really amazed especially because of the indices.

With this particular storm there will be a lot of negative factors(time of year is really the biggest) for this to be a nice winter event even for our western friends. Just remember what happened to DC last year. Not saying it will happen now but there will be a strong cutoff and a lot of heartbreaks

Eh, I dont know about all that. I dont remember march 93 being that great for clt. And remember you Raleigh guys were saying the same thing about the last storm in February...and you turned out pretty good. I think next week is completely up in the air right now. From great, to cold cold rain.

Eh, I dont know about all that. I dont remember march 93 being that great for clt. And remember you Raleigh guys were saying the same thing about the last storm in February...and you turned out pretty good. I think next week is completely up in the air right now. From great, to cold cold rain.

93 was not that great for CLT! I was in Gastonia at the time, and remember waiting till atleast afternoon for the changeover to snow. It finally did and there was a clap of thunder while I was playing in it, but 3-4 inches max, maybe less!

We did well in the '93 event. Heavy sleet that morning changed to heavy snow before lunch and we had thunder-snow most of the afternoon and around 8 inches storm total. It was not as good as it was a little north and west of me, but I would take a repeat of that one any day. Also, the cold that followed the storm kept the snow around for a while.

The Euro might not be right all the time but it has deffinitely been more consistent from run to run than the GFS. The GFS has usually been all over the place from run to run.

I think it just seems like that because it's run 4 times a day. If you just look at the 00z and 12z runs of the GFS, you won't notice huge shifts each run. It's just like how the HRRR and Rap are run every hour and each run is slightly different from the previous.

The Euro might not be right all the time but it has deffinitely been more consistent from run to run than the GFS. The GFS has usually been all over the place from run to run.

It has performed well in split flows - which happened with the last storm. I can spew several examples of the Euro crapping the bed, but we both know that it doesn't make a difference to model molesters.

**EDIT**

Speaking in terms of the most recent storm, it didn't do me any favors.

That was only with the past storm. And if they bring that up, I'll throw in tropical storm Debby 2012. No one can forget that.

It's a pointless battle to choose honestly. As burns said, none have been consistently stellar.

I think someone mentioned earlier, this 3/3 system kind of flew under the radar and now 2 days and the cold air and storm keeps trending south with each run. Hopefully come Monday , this will be the same for the 3/6 system!

Looking at the analogs and having climatology on our side, I feel Monday's system will over perform and be even further south than what's being shown. I expect a further south trend on the 0z runs... as for the end week system, there's so much energy floating around I expect a lot of swings and teeth grinding over the next few days. Will probably be a nowcast situation IMO

Archived