CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Late February/March Medium - Long Range Disco

stormtracker

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Canadian has a storm.....I don't really care what is on board,...I'm not going to expect a model that gave Ji 0.6" 6 hours before a KU to  get a storm correctly or that had the 0.25" contour 150 miles to our south on 1/21 and gave us 0.40" in the 1st 3-5 hours of the event...I believe the GFS also had like 0.15" the day before 1/2 before it finally juiced up....the models arent going to be very good...best we can hope is that we have an event that will happen and that the models juice up within 24-36 hours....

yeah...36 hours before the event the GFS had a warm cartopper for DC...

The Canadian has a storm.....I don't really care what is on board,...I'm not going to expect a model that gave Ji 0.6" 6 hours before a KU to  get a storm correctly or that had the 0.25" contour 150 miles to our south on 1/21 and gave us 0.40" in the 1st 3-5 hours of the event...I believe the GFS also had like 0.15" the day before 1/2 before it finally juiced up....the models arent going to be very good...best we can hope is that we have an event that will happen and that the models juice up within 24-36 hours....

For Wednesday?  I thought Yoda said it was a goner.   Didn't even bother to look

When did this thread become the " pitty me where I live" thread?

In other news, the NAM (out of its range) sucks for mid-week.

MDstorm

Not much happenin. NAM not worth discussion. So we wait. Guess we could talk about how this epic late winter pattern as advertised doesn't look so epic anymore. But its almost March, and I doubt anyone really thought we would be seeing highs in the mid 20s and a low of 3 next week.

yup...which is why I can't wait to get out of here and get to VT

I'm in sne and i am not satisfied w my climo (as will, scott and i will joke at GTG's). I would imagine upslope communitys are what you would be looking into. if that is the case the N greens (particularly N of 89) is the place to be. Although if you are not a skier it may not make that much sense because their is very limited property in close enough approximation to the spine to average those (175-325" amounts) that are common up there (thus to enjoy) I mean downtown stowe gets like 110" while the mtn gets 330".

However the further west in stowe you can locate (and higher the more you average). Bolton valley (bout ten miles south of Stowe mtn) has a number of apartments at 2000-2100'' which average over 200" and are generally more affordable. Their is a bolton valley access road off highway 89 and that is like 30 mins to burlington and or Stowe. There is usually a cpl craigslist ads every fall/early winter for studio apts up at bolton valley. That would be my pick. They are having one of their worst years in recent memory (20 years) along the spine this year as Powder Freak will attest to.

Seems to me this Polar Vortex everyone has been hyping for the end of the week and next weekend, is highly over blown. Local mets here in RIC were calling for highs in the low 30's next fri, and sat. Now mid to upper 40's. 50's by sunday. Maybe a little mix precip. next wed and sat. but even that is not likely. What a bummer.

To my eye wed. Storm looks stronger and further west. 996 LP southeast of OC ...still 90 hrs. Out . I got half my snow this year from storms that showed zippo outside 60 hours. So I'm still in.

Lots of work to be done to get anything good verbatim. 500 mb panels look blah. Better dig or its a late bloomer.

GFS is a disaster. Lots of rain over the next 2 weeks. What happened to all of the cold air?

MDstorm

False advertising? Despite the awesome, epic pattern that was advertised, still no blocking and the ridging out west is wimpy by the end of the week. Need to score something midweek or probably have to wait till the following week...maybe.

Seems to me this Polar Vortex everyone has been hyping for the end of the week and next weekend, is highly over blown. Local mets here in RIC were calling for highs in the low 30's next fri, and sat. Now mid to upper 40's. 50's by sunday. Maybe a little mix precip. next wed and sat. but even that is not likely. What a bummer.

Winter is basically done for you. The only people who have a shot at 4+ more inches are those well northwest of I-95. Westminster should get another 2 feet.

MOS guidance has backed off a good deal here too.. we had a few days near freezing show up initially now two  in the upper 30s. Everyone was getting all hyped up about -15 departures which is cold but not that cold in late Feb/March and may struggle to show up. 

Archived