amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Late February/March Medium - Long Range Disco

stormtracker

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know why people are saying Winter is over, there are still 26 days left.

;)

Its over March 1. Met spring. Really makes little sense to define the start/end of seasons by sun angle. By Dec 21 half the country has had winter weather for a month. And in this area we can be all a bloom with temps in the 70s by the second week in March.

Its over March 1. Met spring. Really makes little sense to define the start/end of seasons by sun angle. By Dec 21 half the country has had winter weather for a month. And in this area we can be all a bloom with temps in the 70s by the second week in March.

I was kidding lol... It's not like we can't get snow in "real" Spring. It happened last year, even though that was a mediocre event.

I think out of the 3 chances we have coming up the next 7 days, oddly enough the one farthest away is probably our best shot...GFS looked great before truncation screwed it up.....and for the GFS gallantry brigade comes in (hi Winterwxlvr!) I'm not saying the GFS is wrong simply because it doesn't show what I want, but truncation certainly does  have an affect on it's various solutions.

Threat one for Wednesday is still def on the table, but enthusiasm is waning for that one...the March 1 threat still intrigues me...

I'm siding toward the euro and euro ensembles. Seems like the last couple events, the ncep guidance was playing catchup to the euro. It has consistently showed the wed event for days

I agree. Although at best this is a couple inches, and probably only for I-95 east. Kinda meh. As for Saturday, well at least the GFS is wet, so we got that.

I think out of the 3 chances we have coming up the next 7 days, oddly enough the one farthest away is probably our best shot...GFS looked great before truncation screwed it up.....and for the GFS gallantry brigade comes in (hi Winterwxlvr!) I'm not saying the GFS is wrong simply because it doesn't show what I want, but truncation certainly does  have an affect on it's various solutions.

Threat one for Wednesday is still def on the table, but enthusiasm is waning for that one...the March 1 threat still intrigues me...

The fact that it is 200 hours out also has an effect...the model is useless at that range...what it says has no value...as far as Wednesday, I don't have unreasonable expectations for the models.  I don't expect the GFS to run a mile in under 5 minutes, when all school year, it has been a fat asthmatic kid who collapses halfway

I'm siding toward the euro and euro ensembles. Seems like the last couple events, the ncep guidance was playing catchup to the euro. It has consistently showed the wed event for days

yes....what has the GFS shown us this winter that would suddenly compel us to find utility in its output?

Wednesday is the type of event that can trend wetter...I am all-in for sure....If it doesn't happen or it sucks so be it.  But given the model performance this winter, I am not going to worry about what they show until Tuesday....and even then we'll see some changes

The fact that it is 200 hours out also has an effect...the model is useless at that range...what it says has no value...as far as Wednesday, I don't have unreasonable expectations for the models.  I don't expect the GFS to run a mile in under 5 minutes, when all school year, it has been a fat asthmatic kid who collapses halfway

Of course dude...i'm strictly talking about raw model output RIGHT NOW...we all know it's not going to look exactly like that in 200 hours....relative to right now..this current run is what I'm talking about.    I'm discussing the 12z run as it is......truncation screwed it up IMO.  That's it.

Now in terms of forecasting or a reasonable outlook, I'd hang my hat on the Euro, absolutely.  Like I said earlier, 3/3 is the better chance and I'm basing that purely on the Euro.

Archived