• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Late February/March Medium - Long Range Disco

stormtracker

There's one simple difference that not only affects winter storm outcome early next week but also temperatures in general after...Euro holds pv into western Canada. If that occurs, it will basically taint all of next week for wintry weather.

Last night's ensemble mean definitely flattens the western canada lobe so it's not a driver of heights down the line by monday. It's a fly in the ointment that needs careful attention for sure though. The mean does show it as a prominent feature for a couple days. Hopefully the signal on today's ens run doesn't strengthen the signal. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, it sounds like the Euro perhaps has one consolidated low as opposed to the two waves the GFS just advertised?  Or is it just faster with the two waves?

It has two waves, but both are further north because instead of the PV location, as HM said.  The GFS and GGEm have the PV in eastern Canada thus pressing the front south that both waves ride along.  The euro op takes the dominant piece of the PV into western Canada and allows the flow ahead of it into the east to back more and the front ends up farther north.  I suspect its just a bad run, its a pretty major issue for all the other guidance, as well as its own ensembles to miss.  EPS coming out soon will be very telling. 

My first impression of the EPS is that they haven't changed much; but, there is likely a major disagreement. The mean did trend cooler than last run over western Canada. The GFS family is not holding anything back while Euro sends it there for days. With the blocking / N. Pac setup, don't expect this to be resolved well. A cluster analysis would probably be beneficial here and how many EPS members hold back as long as op and how many send it out faster like GFS.

the euro day 8-9 storm would be great if it was cold enough

you'll be happy to know the euro 850 zero line is down by the va/nc border the whole time. Precip panels are way delayed so I have no idea if there is a storm signal or not. 

ens seem to support the op for Monday. slp running the apps and probably overhead. 850's not all that great. 

eta:

mslp anomaly does show a low tracking up off the coast d8-9. Good bit of spread but it's there nonetheless. 

you'll be happy to know the euro 850 zero line is down by the va/nc border the whole time. Precip panels are way delayed so I have no idea if there is a storm signal or not. 

ens seem to support the op for Monday. slp running the apps and probably overhead. 850's not all that great. 

eta:

mslp anomaly does show a low tracking up off the coast d8-9. Good bit of spread but it's there nonetheless. 

wxbell snowfall map show pa get blasted and we get very little!!

eta:

I agree.  Ens does not look good for Monday.  However, the end of next week is much more promising on the ens than on the op.

MDstorm

? ensemble mean doesn't have a snow map. Control run does but using that for long range is a bad idea.

The Euro ENS mean shows 2-4" for MA, it was definitely south of the Op. PHL is 4-6" and LGA is 6-8", this is through day 6.

Edit: at 120-126 the 850/32F line is running through Frederick, at 132 it drops right over the city and after that much further south.

Archived