northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Late February/March Medium - Long Range Disco

stormtracker

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's somewhat SE of 12z, but not enough to matter much. Hopefully it's holding back a bit too much energy in the SW quadrant, as it sometimes does when troughs dig along the lee of the Rockies.

Its holding back energy out west and the PV is a bit further north, so weaker ridging/confluence. Its not really THAT far off from other guidance...subtle differences synoptically make a pretty big difference in sensible weather esp wrt the tight thermal gradient with this event. Some of the GEFS members have a warmer look and are pretty supportive of the Euro. By 0z tonight we will likely have an idea whether the slight shift towards colder on the Euro was a minor wobble, or a trend. If it stays locked in after today's runs, its going to be hard to bet against it.

It has become clear that if you are a snow sounding at a certain hour that Wxbell maps count ALL precip in the preceding 3 hours as snow.., even if you were rain for 2 hours and 57 minutes and flipped 3 minutes before the panel....and I am sure it is purposeful as they are out to make money

back in dec I looked at soundings trying to figure out wtf was going on with those pos maps and its way worse then just what you said. What you describe is bad but at least would be close and only off about 2.5 hours at worst. First they seem to use 6 hour chunks not 3. Then I found locations that were above 0 at 850 both at the start and end of a panel and still the map showed snowfall. The only consistent factor seems the 2m temps have to be near freezing then they must use a thickness to estimate snow but its way off in places that are borderline and especially if there is a generally cold profile but with a warm layer. Either that or they use +.5 850 as their rain snow line. -1 is actually a better estimate of the pn/sn line in most cases. Basically it's as if they purposely programmed it to capture sleet as snow and JBs obnoxious rants where he assumes we are all stupid kind of confirm that but the label still says SNOWFALL not total frozen equivalent so it's bs no matter how many times he tells us how good it smells.

Speaking of 2m temps, that's the one area where I am concerned the models could be wrong. While a CAD situation is looking very possible, the liquid/hour rate of this system could erode the CAD faster than the models indicate.

Looking at the ECMWF, there is a very sharp line crossing our area, somewhere near the DC-Baltimore line as the storm approaches, and moving south of DC into Southern MD as the storm passes through. North of this line has winds from the north. South of this line has winds from the south. 

This wind pattern would reinforce CAD across most of MD as the storm moves through, while eroding CAD across the southern areas. Timing may be everything here, as the storm needs to arrive near diurnal minima to maximize CAD. If it arrives later, the south winds will warm up to the router 50 / I-95 corridors before the system moves in. If it arrives earlier, we might not have cooled down enough from the previous day's above freezing temperatures to get CAD.

Attached is an image showing the ECMWF winds as the storm starts to move in.

post-11896-0-76385100-1393501487_thumb.p

Archived