Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
2014 Mid-Atlantic Severe Discussion Thread

Kmlwx

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Based on the last few years I'm thinking the sun breaking out is one of the least important factors....seems to me when the sun comes out we get capped

This doesn't really make sense.    Surface heating does not create a cap;  it helps eliminate an existing one. 

True, CAPE to our south isn't too bad, hopefully we can get some clearing

1000-1500 sfc CAPE at the 11a mesoanalysis is pretty decent IMO. We have plenty of severe weather days around here with nothing more than that. 

There were actually a good amount of tornadoes... but all EF0 or EF1 types -- http://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/archive/event.php?date=20120601

I actually felt a bit of terror that day as the storms quickly blossomed SW of here with hook echoes.  One twister tracked about a half mile from my house in fact EF-1 for 4 miles.  It was one of the larger tornadoes that day at 150 yards...plus, I heard it go by WHOOP!

This doesn't really make sense.    Surface heating does not create a cap;  it helps eliminate an existing one.

I trust you...but it seems like every year these threads turn into sun obs and before you know it it's dark lol

Not a pity discussion for once..

mcd0954.gif

AREAS AFFECTED...SOUTHERN/WEST-CENTRAL PA AND PORTIONS OF
   MD/NORTHERN VA/DC/WV PANHANDLE

CONCERNING...SEVERE POTENTIAL...WATCH LIKELY

VALID 111732Z - 111930Z

PROBABILITY OF WATCH ISSUANCE...80 PERCENT

SUMMARY...THE POTENTIAL FOR A COUPLE OF TORNADOES ALONG WITH
   DAMAGING WINDS/SEVERE HAIL IS EXPECTED TO INCREASE THROUGH MID/LATE
   AFTERNOON ACROSS SOUTHERN/WEST-CENTRAL PA AND PORTIONS OF
   MD/NORTHERN VA/WV PANHANDLE AND THE DC METRO VICINITY. A WATCH IS
   LIKELY BY AS EARLY AS MID-AFTERNOON.

DISCUSSION...LIKELY INFLUENCED BY OVERNIGHT CONVECTION/OUTFLOW...A
   ZONE OF DIFFERENTIAL HEATING COINCIDES WITH A QUASI-STATIONARY
   BOUNDARY THAT ANGLES FROM WESTERN/SOUTHERN PA EAST-SOUTHEASTWARD TO
   EASTERN MD. THE AIR MASS ALONG /AND ESPECIALLY SOUTH OF/ THIS
   BOUNDARY CONTINUES TO STEADILY WARM WHILE SOME INCREASE IN LOW-LEVEL
   MOISTURE CONTINUES TO OCCUR /MIDDLE AND SOME UPPER 60S F SURFACE
   DEWPOINTS/. CURRENT OBSERVATIONAL TRENDS/SHORT-TERM NUMERICAL
   GUIDANCE INDICATE THAT THE STRONGEST DESTABILIZATION WILL CONTINUE
   TO OCCUR ACROSS PARTS OF VA AND ADJACENT MD/WV...BUT AT LEAST 1000
   J/KG MLCAPE WILL BECOME INCREASINGLY COMMON THROUGH MID/LATE
   AFTERNOON COINCIDENT WITH MUCH OF THE FRONTAL ZONE. BENEATH A BELT
   OF MODERATELY STRONG DEEP-LAYER SOUTHWESTERLY WINDS...GENERAL
   PREVALENCE OF SOUTHEASTERLY NEAR-SURFACE WINDS WILL CONTRIBUTE TO A
   MAXIMIZATION OF LOW-LEVEL SHEAR/SRH IN VICINITY OF THE BOUNDARY
   WITHIN A RELATIVELY MOIST/LOW LCL ENVIRONMENT. AS SUCH...ANY STORMS
   DEVELOPING NEAR AND/OR CROSSING THE BOUNDARY FROM THE WEST-SOUTHWEST
   WILL LIKELY ATTAIN SUPERCELL CHARACTERISTICS WITH CORRESPONDING
   POTENTIAL FOR A COUPLE OF TORNADOES AND SEVERE HAIL/WIND.

..GUYER/MEAD.. 06/11/2014

interesting evolution in the HRRR runs.   It initiates a complex of storms in east-central VA between 2 and 3PM and takes them pretty much due north with an arcing or even a bow echo structure.   It has what may be a supercell on the western flank racing north on the west side of DC with other discrete cells developing in the late afternoon northwest of DC.    This would suggest the best tornado threat in the corridor bounded by the Dulles Toll Road, I-81,  I-270, and the MD/PA border.

edit:   the 15z HRRR likes the eastern WV panhandle too

interesting evolution in the HRRR runs.   It initiates a complex of storms in east-central VA between 2 and 3PM and takes them pretty much due north with an arcing or even a bow echo structure.   It has what may be a supercell on the western flank racing north on the west side of DC with other discrete cells developing in the late afternoon northwest of DC.    This would suggest the best tornado threat in the corridor bounded by the Dulles Toll Road, I-81,  I-270, and the MD/PA border.

edit:   the 15z HRRR likes the eastern WV panhandle too

One of the LWX local models has the same idea, bringing the bow echo/MCS through the area around 7pm

Havent seen this in a while:

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENTNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON DC236 PM EDT WED JUN 11 2014
...SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS LIKELY THIS AFTERNOON AND EVENING ALONGWITH THE POTENTIAL FOR ISOLATED TORNADOES...WITH TEMPERATURES REACHING THE MID-TO-UPPER 80S WITHIN AND SOUTHOF THE WASHINGTON DC METROPOLITAN AREA...THE REGION IS UNDER THETHREAT OF SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS THIS AFTERNOON AND EVENING. SOME OFTHESE STORMS WILL LIKELY CONTAIN DAMAGING WIND...FREQUENT CLOUD-TO-GROUND LIGHTNING... AND LARGE HAIL. ADDITIONALLY...TORNADOESARE POSSIBLE IN A FEW OF THE STRONGEST THUNDERSTORMS. THE MOSTLIKELY TIME FOR SEVERE WEATHER IS BETWEEN 400 PM AND 800 PM EDT.THE AREA MOST VULNERABLE FOR SEVERE WEATHER IS NORTH OF INTERSTATE64 ACROSS VIRGINIA`S NORTH-CENTRAL PIEDMONT AND WEST OFINTERSTATE 95 SOUTH OF THE CITY OF BALTIMORE MARYLAND TOFREDERICKSBURG VIRGINIA. THIS INCLUDES THE GREATER WASHINGTON DCAND BALTIMORE METROPOLITAN AREAS...HAGERSTOWN MARYLAND...THENORTHERN AND CENTRAL SHENANDOAH VALLEY...AND CHARLOTTESVILLE VIRGINIA.RESIDENTS AND VISITORS TO THIS REGION...ALONG WITH MARINERS ON THECHESAPEAKE BAY AND TIDAL POTOMAC RIVER...SHOULD HAVE AN INCREASEDAWARENESS OF THE THREAT OF HAZARDOUS WEATHER THIS AFTERNOON ANDEVENING.IF A SEVERE WEATHER WARNING IS ISSUED...SEEK SHELTERINDOORS IMMEDIATELY...PREFERABLY IN A BASEMENT OR THE LOWEST LEVELOF A STURDY BUILDING. IF YOU ARE IN A BOAT...SEEK SAFE HARBORIMMEDIATELY.$$LEE

Archived