THE POTENTIAL TO DRAW IN STREAMWISE VORTICITY WHERE UPDRAFTS
FORM INCREASING THE RISK OF TORNADOES"

Interesting part from new AFD - 

"THE WIND FIELD ALOFT WILL INCREASE AND HODOGRAPHS LOOK

PROMISING FOR TORNADOGENESIS...DMG WINDS AND LARGE HAIL FOR AREAS

WEST OF THE STATIONARY BOUNDARY. THE SE WIND AT THE SFC WILL HAVE

THE POTENTIAL TO DRAW IN STREAMWISE VORTICITY WHERE UPDRAFTS

FORM INCREASING THE RISK OF TORNADOES"

AFD hasn't updated for me yet... but where is that boundary?

Does anybody remember the date when we had a MOD risk due to the tornado threat?  I think we were hatched... but I believe nothing came of it

June 1 2012 must have been the last one.

If that's the day I'm thinking of, I remember it being similar to today in that we couldn't get rid of the clouds and things just didn't destabilize enough.

Pretty rare to get a perfect setup here. Usually high shear low cape or low shear high cape.

That day over performed in ways IMO since a closed low usually isn't as good as a progressive open wave for tornadoes. But put good 500 vorticity in the SE lakes and you can get good stuff.

I doubt they will go above 5% but maybe a small 10% if they are feeling excited. Shear is a bit too borderline to get crazy though.

Pretty rare to get a perfect setup here. Usually high shear low cape or low shear high cape.

That day over performed in ways IMO since a closed low usually isn't as good as a progressive open wave for tornadoes. But put good 500 vorticity in the SE lakes and you can get good stuff.

I doubt they will go above 5% but maybe a small 10% if they are feeling excited. Shear is a bit too borderline to get crazy though.

I don't know about that... 12z NAM had 0-6km shear at around 35kts, which should be good enough.  Not calling for an outbreak, but wouldn't be surprised if a TOR Watch was issued for us today

Based on the last few years I'm thinking the sun breaking out is one of the least important factors....seems to me when the sun comes out we get capped

I would argue the opposite... on our supposed big days we always seem to hold on to the clouds longer and don't get enough sun for instability

I don't know about that... 12z NAM had 0-6km shear at around 35kts, which should be good enough. Not calling for an outbreak, but wouldn't be surprised if a TOR Watch was issued for us today

5% is a pretty good risk. Could get a tor watch with that.

Based on the last few years I'm thinking the sun breaking out is one of the least important factors....seems to me when the sun comes out we get capped

With sfc moisture like it is not the hugest factor. Don't think cap is a huge problem today tho lower shear DC and east may be.

5% is a pretty good risk. Could get a tor watch with that.

Agree.  LWX seems bullish on the tor threat though... wouldn't be surprised to see a nudge to 10% in the areas that LWX outlined as their "concern zone" in their updated AFD (west of I-95 to I-81 corridor region)

Agree. LWX seems bullish on the tor threat though... wouldn't be surprised to see a nudge to 10% in the areas that LWX outlined as their "concern zone" in their updated AFD (west of I-95 to I-81 corridor region)

Plus mark had a dream we would see a mid atl tor. Wedges inbound.

Think that's probably our target area. CAPE already pushing 1k+ last hour up there and turning shear should be better. Boundary south also interesting but I think Mark likes the northern target too much already. ;)  JT is coming too!

Archived