• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
2014 Mid-Atlantic Severe Discussion Thread

Kmlwx

I feel the Watch/Warning zones are right. I'm in Baltimore County, a one county out of the Tornado Watch; temperature has been slowly dropping since 1pm, down to 76-77, and about 12-13 miles NE of me in Bel Air, it is 71. Main threat IMO is NoVa. Good luck everyone

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel the Watch/Warning zones are right. I'm in Baltimore County, a one county out of the Tornado Watch; temperature has been slowly dropping since 1pm, down to 76-77, and about 12-13 miles NE of me in Bel Air, it is 71. Main threat IMO is NoVa. Good luck everyone

Backdoor front is in Hartford county, winds still out of the east so not really pulling in the warm air that's needed. If winds shift SE then our chances improve but it's not likely at this point.

Was up hiking earlier in the Catocins;it was still pretty socked in when we left around 11 AM. (Probably burning off by now although not as rapidly as down here?). I was trying to get my daughter to stay so that we could time the incoming to establishing ourselves down I-270 at a nice vantage on the west view of Sugarloaf; it's got pretty nice visibility to the west (saw an absolutely gorgeous sunset from there once) and the parking is right there if and when it gets hairy. But she was tired and wanted to go home, so I guess it's regular old Fort Reno for me. Best low level SRH seems to be up that way though, at least from the latest SPC meso analysis.

This is the time of year for it, that's for sure.

Just saw that sounding as well.

I *think* this is the one from June 4, 2008 (not suggesting there's any comparision between then and now)

That was a MOD; 5/45(!)/30.

post-2076-0-00476800-1402516191_thumb.gi

Still haven't seen any mesoscale modeling showing anything of significance for DC proper.  HRRR fizzles the cells by Richmond and has the good stuff out west.

I know one of the local models did.... showed close to what the HRRR showed that high risk was discussing earlier

I'm wondering about that. They'd be moving into a high CAPE environment, with increasing shear. Would hate for this one to bust.

Fair amount of runs had shear tapering near 95 and east. Tho if they cold pool it shouldn't matter a ton.

Fair amount of runs had shear tapering near 95 and east. Tho if they cold pool it shouldn't matter a ton.

Maybe, but I think something else might be at play. We already have 25-35kts of shear over us, which is better than our recent "events". Plus plenty of cape.

Here's LWX's disco:

PROFILES WILL ALSO INCREASE.

AS OF 1830Z...25-35 KTS OF SHEAR

EXIST ACROSS THE REGION WITH 40S KTS ACROSS CENTRAL WV.

SR models haven't really shown much for us before 6pm or so. Latest HRRR looks ok for you and me between 6-8.

Earlier runs of the HRRR had stuff by like 3-4 tho it is often fast. Local chasing is silly. ;)

Pretty nice hail signature on this cell:

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON DC
426 PM EDT WED JUN 11 2014

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN STERLING VIRGINIA HAS ISSUED A

* SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING FOR...
  EASTERN SPOTSYLVANIA COUNTY IN CENTRAL VIRGINIA...

* UNTIL 515 PM EDT

* AT 423 PM EDT...A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WAS DETECTED 18 MILES SOUTH
  OF MASSAPONAX...OR 13 MILES SOUTHWEST OF MILFORD...AND WAS MOVING
  NORTH AT 25 MPH. THIS STORM IS CAPABLE OF PRODUCING HAIL UP TO THE
  SIZE OF PING PONG BALLS AND DAMAGING WINDS IN EXCESS OF 60 MPH.

* LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE...
  PARTLOW...
  SNELL...
  THORNBURG...
  MASSAPONAX...
  SPOTSYLVANIA COURTHOUSE...

Earlier runs of the HRRR had stuff by like 3-4 tho it is often fast. Local chasing is silly. ;)

You know much more about sr models than me but I've never seen them do well with scattered cells before they pop. Seem to do well with organized lines and such.

I'll go out on a big limb and say most all of us will hear thunder today.

You know much more about sr models than me but I've never seen them do well with scattered cells before they pop. Seem to do well with organized lines and such.

I'll go out on a big limb and say most all of us will hear thunder today.

Tough with specifics quite often though the HRRR has been pretty good of late esp when it shows similar stuff run to run for a while. When waiting for slight height falls slower is often the way to go tho.

Archived