Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
2014 Mid-Atlantic Severe Discussion Thread

Kmlwx

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting.. A one minute EF-0 (65mph) back on May 16.

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON DC 620 PM EDT MON
JUNE 9 2014

...TORNADO CONFIRMED NEAR MIDDLEBURG IN LOUDOUN COUNTY VA...

LOCATION...3 MILES EAST OF MIDDLEBURG VA
DATE...MAY 16 2014
ESTIMATED TIME...3:31 AM TO 3:32 AM EDT
MAXIMUM EF-SCALE RATING...EF-0
ESTIMATED MAXIMUM WIND SPEED...65 MPH
MAXIMUM PATH WIDTH...75 YARDS
PATH LENGTH...0.4 MILES
BEGINNING LAT/LON...38.9626N / 77.6952W
ENDING LAT/LON...39.9689N / 77.6909W
* FATALITIES...NONE
* INJURIES...NONE

* THE INFORMATION IN THIS STATEMENT IS PRELIMINARY AND SUBJECT TO
CHANGE PENDING FINAL REVIEW OF THE EVENT(S) AND PUBLICATION IN
NWS STORM DATA.

...SUMMARY...
THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON DC HAS
CONFIRMED A TORNADO NEAR 3 MILES EAST OF MIDDLEBURG IN LOUDOUN
COUNTY VA ON MAY 16 2014.

AFTER A REVIEW OF RADAR OBSERVATIONS...STORM SPOTTER REPORTS AND
A GROUND SURVEY...THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BALIMORE
MD/WASHINGTON DC HAS CONFIRMED AN EF-0 TORNADO TOUCHED DOWN IN AN
AREA ABOUT 3 MILES EAST OF MIDDLEBURG IN LOUDOUN COUNTY VIRGINIA
DURING THE EARLY MORNING HOURS OF FRIDAY MAY 16 2014.

THE TORNADO WAS ESTIMATED TO HAVE TOUCHED DOWN AT APPROXIMATELY
331 AM EDT. PEAK WINDS WERE ESTIMATED TO HAVE BEEN 65 MPH. A LARGE
TREE WAS UPROOTED AND FELL ACROSS SALLY MILL ROAD NEAR THE
INTERSECTION OF LIGHT HORSE COURT. ADDITIONAL TREES AND LARGE
BRANCHES WERE FOUND UPROOTED AND COLLAPSED IN DIFFERENT DIRECTIONS
ALONG WITH BRANCHES SNAPPED OR TWISTED AT VARIOUS POINTS ON A
LARGE RESIDENTIAL PROPERTY ALONG LIGHT HORSE COURT. THE TORNADO
QUICKLY LIFTED AROUND 332 AM EDT.

THIS INFORMATION CAN ALSO BE FOUND ON OUR WEBSITE AT
WEATHER.GOV/WASHINGTON.

$$

WIDELSKI/CB/JRK

I thought they'd already confirmed that one.

Anyway, GFS lolz -- 4000 cape nearby on Wed. 

post-1615-0-18688100-1402357451_thumb.gi

Shear is still marginal for my liking but I guess I want a high end event.. heh. It's probably passable though and little spokes in the 500mb flow for spark somewhere nearby. Instability axis is quite narrow but solid agreement it runs up through the area. 

LWX

ong term /Wednesday through Sunday/... Things start to get interesting across our County Warning Area by the middle of this week as a cutoff upper-level low drifts east out of the Great Plains and into the Ohio Valley. A 250 mb jet streak of about 60 kts will move south to north across the Ohio Valley...placing the region squarely in its favorable divergent right entrance region during peak heating Wednesday afternoon. Southerly flow around high pressure parked over the western Atlantic will also be pumping plenty of warm and humid air into the region...and combined with cooling in the middle and upper levels ahead of the approaching trough will likely result in 2000-3000 j/kg of cape during the afternoon and evening. In addition to moderately strong instability...model forecasts indicate 30 to 35 kts of effective bulk shear during this time which will aid in storm organization. As a result...except numerous showers and thunderstorms to develop across the area after noon on Wednesday. Should widespread clouds develop and move over the area from leftover upstream convection...instability could be somewhat less though the synoptic environment will likely still be favorable for strong to severe thunderstorms Wednesday afternoon and evening. 

1730z day 2 outlook still no slight risk for the area. Even the 5% is pretty fringe for a lot of us.

I guess we can cross our fingers and hope it's a case where a 5% ends up being nice for us.

Refresh? Added a slight that cuts thru the area.

Says it was corrected guess the first may have been missing it.

Perhaps...tho when I glanced at the discussion it was still the old one too.

Regardless here's to hoping for something half decent tomorrow. I'll be down in St. Mary's County, MD for most of the day - maybe I'll be luckier there than here. 

GFS remains rather gung ho tomorrow. Think there's a window for supercells mainly near the ridges and then into S PA tomorrow.. perhaps working east as a congealing line? NAM has a good bit less CAPE on the north end. Euro is kinda somewhere in the middle.

GFS seems to always overdo moisture/instability tho other models often underdo it. I dunno. 

Earlier I was leaning toward S PA being the best target since turning is a bit better up there but maybe the CAPE play is better in VA.  

post-1615-0-13760900-1402434357_thumb.gi

post-1615-0-43160100-1402434458_thumb.pn

As always we seem to be dealing with having instability but not shear (or vice versa). Seems a decent mix for tomorrow, though. 

If we can snag some nice lightning and cracks of thunder I'll be fairly happy. It has been a while since a really nice storm rolled through here. 

The SREF on the SPC site isn't particularly exciting. Good instability but shear is pretty meh. 

As always we seem to be dealing with having instability but not shear (or vice versa). Seems a decent mix for tomorrow, though. 

If we can snag some nice lightning and cracks of thunder I'll be fairly happy. It has been a while since a really nice storm rolled through here. 

The SREF on the SPC site isn't particularly exciting. Good instability but shear is pretty meh. 

Yeah the shear is iffy though the GFS/NAM/EURO all have 30-40kts bulk shear.. best west and north.. which could work.SREF hasn't looked too exciting all along though some categories like craven/brooks are increasing now. 

GFS remains rather gung ho tomorrow. Think there's a window for supercells mainly near the ridges and then into S PA tomorrow.. perhaps working east as a congealing line? NAM has a good bit less CAPE on the north end. Euro is kinda somewhere in the middle.

GFS seems to always overdo moisture/instability tho other models often underdo it. I dunno. 

Earlier I was leaning toward S PA being the best target since turning is a bit better up there but maybe the CAPE play is better in VA.  

I'm having a hard time telling from the freebie Euro, are the storms that are post-sundown here in DC proper coming straight north from Richmond?  The euro, NAM, and WRFs all seem to agree that western VA is a better bet, closer to the dynamics.

Yeah the shear is iffy though the GFS/NAM/EURO all have 30-40kts bulk shear.. best west and north.. which could work.SREF hasn't looked too exciting all along though some categories like craven/brooks are increasing now. 

Yeah good ole craven/brooks has come up a bit in recent runs. We'll see if trend continues. 

NAM4 at 12z was funny. 5000 cape!

omg derecho! In all seriousness, though I think the last time we saw CAPE values like that was during the derecho in 2012...what a hot day that was. 

Archived