Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
2014 Mid-Atlantic Severe Discussion Thread

Kmlwx

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For now looks like we either get stuff to roll in with little instability late night Wed or the timing is off on Thursday. I'd say the likelihood of being derecho'ed is quite small at the least.

For now looks like we either get stuff to roll in with little instability late night Wed or the timing is off on Thursday. I'd say the likelihood of being derecho'ed is quite small at the least.

I would rather take the Thursday chance... its only a few hours off and instability is still decent enough for some fun... possibly damaging winds and maybe a few spin-ups

I would rather take the Thursday chance... its only a few hours off and instability is still decent enough for some fun... possibly damaging winds and maybe a few spin-ups

for now you probably gotta like the overnight option unless you favor the nam at this range.

post-1615-0-41144500-1401754683_thumb.pn

post-1615-0-46597200-1401754687_thumb.pn

maybe hope to speed it up.. tho neither is particularly keen on CAPE around here on Wednesday either for now.

IMO, 00z NAM looks a lil dangerous with its sounding at 15z to 18z THUR across the area... granted its the only one signaling that since 00z GFS continues to signal that the complex (whatever is left of it) comes through Wed night.

MLCAPE at DCA at 18z THUR is ~2300 J/KG

From LWX AFD:

.NEAR TERM /UNTIL 6 PM THIS EVENING/...

BASED ON 12Z KIAD RAOB...THE ATMOSPHERE IS MOISTENING UP WITH A PW
VALUE AROUND 1.4 IN. MODIFYING THE SOUNDING SUGGESTS SOME
INSTABILITY FOR THE AFTERNOON AS WELL BUT STILL ON THE WEAK SIDE.
THEREFORE...AM NOT ANTICIPATING SEVERE WX. SECOND ROUND OF
THUNDERSTORMS MENTIONED ABOVE COULD HOWEVER BE LOCALLY STRONG.

All is lost when Ian bails...or was he ever in. Not even a slight risk from SPC. I suppose from the overnight timing of things.

Slight risk reaches the western portion of the LWX CWA... and Ian was never really in.  I am the one who was trying to talk this "event" up

Slight risk reaches the western portion of the LWX CWA... and Ian was never really in.  I am the one who was trying to talk this "event" up

Might as well be a world away for now.  The Euro/GFS still look awful meh .. the Euro basically shows us getting nothing. Granted, a good line could cross in some fashion but there's like no instability.  

Might as well be a world away for now.  The Euro/GFS still look awful meh .. the Euro basically shows us getting nothing. Granted, a good line could cross in some fashion but there's like no instability.  

:(

I hope you get baseball sized hail and a super derecho

It seems to me based on radar that this area of convection is going to get here way before the models suggest it will. The leading edge will be into West Virginia by the early afternoon. I'd expect it to roll through in the late evening hours.

I was gona say the same thing, we have seen these things come in earlier then forecasted over and over again, would see no reason that this is any different, wheres the sun obs lol 

It seems to me based on radar that this area of convection is going to get here way before the models suggest it will. The leading edge will be into West Virginia by the early afternoon. I'd expect it to roll through in the late evening hours.

I don't understand this.   All of the guidance I've seen this morning (NAM, GFS, 4 km NAM, RAP, HRRR, Hi-Res Windows) have convection arriving in DC Metro by late evening;  some have it arriving by 00z.

I don't understand this.   All of the guidance I've seen this morning (NAM, GFS, 4 km NAM, RAP, HRRR, Hi-Res Windows) have convection arriving in DC Metro by late evening;  some have it arriving by 00z.

Yup, I just would like to have the storms or "complex" be somewhat interesting when it comes through the area

Not sure about the models, but NWS text forecast yesterday suggested nothing would hit the area until after 2am. It seemed to me that the NAM was suggesting before 10pm. 

Archived