joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2/18 Snow Banter

CT Rain

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love you dearly. We've been friends for years. I follow no one. I don't like twitter or even other social media. Life is complicated enough..lol. You can follow me but it's boring. I write something every few years. @weathafella.

You may want to change your Twitter password. I think it was hacked. Unless you posted a link to a Russian website on your timeline one day ago. I tried to follow the link and Kapersky flagged it as containing a virus. Wouldn't let me proceed, thank God.

I just love being on the coast for these type of systems, we get nothing but rain after a nice fresh coat of 7.5" paste bomb.  Tree damage and power outages were a given where I am.  Storm was a lot more progressive and therefore didn't see the best banding last a few more hours.  Anyways congrats to eastern ME on this one.

Right .. I want potatoes not powder

Jan 21 was eye opening. I mean when it falls..it's awesome watching it pile up. 24 hrs later, you're like WTF happened? LOL. To me, 7" of paste is greater than 10" of fluff. It even looks more impressive with piles.Some might not feel that way, but that's just me. The way it looks too...nothing else like it.

Anyways, your snow may get wet at the very end.

Ratios are overrated....after the Jan 21 fluff bomb, give me wet snow any day.

A foot of fluff looks cool for about 6hrs. 24hrs later it's down to 6" and sublimated/compacted to hell. Like PF says, the staying power is usually about 10:1 of the water equiv. So 12" new with 0.70" will pretty much be 7" after a day or two. I'm sure jspin is familiar with that. ;)

Jan 21 was eye opening. I mean when it falls..it's awesome watching it pile up. 24 hrs later, you're like WTF happened? LOL. To me, 7" of paste is greater than 10" of fluff. It even looks more impressive with piles.Some might not feel that way, but that's just me. The way it looks too...nothing else like it.

Havent had a wet snowfall here all year. Even the deal the other night with the sleet turning to snow on the backside ended up 26 degree powder

I like fluff when im hitting the slopes but thats it...paste is better.

A foot of fluff looks cool for about 6hrs. 24hrs later it's down to 6" and sublimated/compacted to hell. Like PF says, the staying power is usually about 10:1 of the water equiv. So 12" new with 0.70" will pretty much be 7" after a day or two. I'm sure jspin is familiar with that. ;)

I've found that, in the absence of thaw/RA, the snowpack settles to a ration about 6or7-to-1.  However, I think that deep cold can settle the pack as well.  The one big snow/no thaw winter (76-77) of my 10 in Ft.Kent, the ratio seemed to settle closer to 4:1.

I've found that, in the absence of thaw/RA, the snowpack settles to a ration about 6or7-to-1.  However, I think that deep cold can settle the pack as well.  The one big snow/no thaw winter (76-77) of my 10 in Ft.Kent, the ratio seemed to settle closer to 4:1.

Yeah...over the long term you start getting those neve/firn ratios like glacial snow and ice. I was more referring to what the new fluff looks like after a few days.

Archived