joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA & The Fringes - February 2014 Pt. VI

2001kx

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

EURO is a good hit for everyone south of I-80 from the Ohio border to Delaware River.  Off the ledge weenies!

Looks great for the southern tier. Doesn't take a met degree to see that guidance is favoring a colder/south soln.

Dynamic ratio map for the 12z EURO has 12-15" from PIT to LNS by 78 hours 

That's awfully far north...I'd say 80 north should be concerned.

this isn't locked in yet so everyone should be. I still feel like the last 24 hours these tend to bleed north a bit so as long as this doesn't trend any further south then it is now central pa should be ok. My concern would be if the energy splits and we get the insignificant first wave but then the second gets supressed as the front sags south.

Looks like it cut our totals here in State College from ~1.1" on the 00z down to ~0.55" on the 12z Euro, so roughly in half.

I'm not. It's march. We have had a ton of moderate snows here. At this point I either want a hecs 12"+ or warm.

That change sucks for up here, but I'll still be happy with a 6" snow event.

. Ehh I've seen a ton of 4-8" snows this year at this point I want 12+ or spring.

this isn't locked in yet so everyone should be. I still feel like the last 24 hours these tend to bleed north a bit so as long as this doesn't trend any further south then it is now central pa should be ok. My concern would be if the energy splits and we get the insignificant first wave but then the second gets supressed as the front sags south.

Yep, that has always been my concern...even for the LSV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SENIOR DUTY METEOROLOGIST NWS ADMINISTRATIVE MESSAGE
NWS NCEP CENTRAL OPERATIONS COLLEGE PARK MD
1714Z FRI FEB 28 2014

A REGIONAL CRITICAL WEATHER DAY...CWD...WILL BE DECLARED AT
1200Z SAT MAR 01 2014 AND EXTEND THROUGH 0000Z TUE MAR 04
2014. THE FOLLOWING NWS REGIONS ARE IMPACTED BY THIS
CWD...SOUTHERN/EASTERN/CENTRAL. NCEP/NWSTG AND THE NCF ARE ALSO
PARTICIPATING IN THIS CWD TO ENSURE A RELIABLE FLOW OF

WEATHER DATA. ALL SCHEDULED SOFTWARE/HARDWARE/NETWORK
CHANGES FOR THE IMPACTED OFFICES WILL BE POSTPONED UNTIL
THE CWD HAS ENDED. ANY EMERGENCY CHANGES WILL BE EVALUATED
AND APPROVED BY THE LOCAL/REGIONAL MANAGEMENT OFFICIALS.
NWS OFFICES SHOULD CONTACT THEIR REGIONAL OFFICES FOR
FURTHER QUESTIONS ABOUT THIS CWD.

Euro similar to gfs in swpa?

Probably about as good or a bit better than the GFS. Heavier precip arrives in western PA faster on the Euro. There's less of Pittsburgh being on the fine edge of the heavier precip on the Euro with Pit within the 0.25"-0.50" range and the .1-.25" going well up into NW PA at hour 60.

EURO is a good hit for everyone south of I-80 from the Ohio border to Delaware River.  Off the ledge weenies!

I dunno why everyone's worried, except for maybe the more northern tier folks. I don't personally think the Euro really made all that monumental of a shift south overall. Yea.. it did shift a bit down from it's 0z run. But what I'm seeing is it kind of has two distinct ripples of low pressure that run the boundary to the GFS's one, the first of which sending a slug of heavier precip across most of PA bringing precip in a bit faster and further north than the GFS and a second ripple of low pressure that focuses more on southern PA and south of the border. It kinda seems to limit precip in a way, coverage of heavy precip is not as expansive. 

Otherwise... with about 2.5-3 days to go yet, I'm only going to go as far as to acknowledge that this colder and further south leaning trend should probably eliminate or significantly reduce the threat/duration of mixed precip in the southern tier. The finer details as to where this heavy snow swath ends up are still very much up in the air. 

Probably about as good or a bit better than the GFS. Heavier precip arrives in western PA faster on the Euro. There's less of Pittsburgh being on the fine edge of the heavier precip on the Euro with Pit within the 0.25"-0.50" range and the .1-.25" going well up into NW PA at hour 60.

I dunno why everyone's worried, except for maybe the more northern tier folks. I don't personally think the Euro really made all that monumental of a shift south overall. Yea.. it did shift a bit down from it's 0z run. But what I'm seeing is it kind of has two distinct ripples of low pressure that run the boundary to the GFS's one, the first of which sending a slug of heavier precip across most of PA bringing precip in a bit faster and further north than the GFS and a second ripple of low pressure that focuses more on southern PA and south of the border. It kinda seems to limit precip in a way, coverage of heavy precip is not as expansive. 

Otherwise... with about 2.5-3 days to go yet, I'm only going to go as far as to acknowledge that this colder and further south leaning trend should probably eliminate or significantly reduce the threat/duration of mixed precip in the southern tier. The finer details as to where this heavy snow swath ends up are still very much up in the air. 

yeah, i'm startin to think people got their underwear on to tight, holy ****!

Great Post!

This is paranoia run amock. This is a text message that a penndot employee sent his wife. I received the fwd.

FWD: Penndot worried big storm starts tomorrow afternoon snow thrru tuesday evening 24to 28 with lots of ice roads closed power outages snow drifts 20 feet high people stranded told to pack our bags might not be home till wensday night if lucky

Archived