Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA & The Fringes - February 2014 Pt. VI

2001kx

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

while waiting for Euro...

had to do a double take but just realized Harrisburg's record low for March 1 is 7 degrees... that one is in trouble tomorrow morning

Based on my records so far I have DJF for Harrisburg as 16th coldest on record without today's data and 11th coldest JF

Have not looked through any March data yet but so far I have yet to find a streak of more than 4 days (Feb 28, 29, March 1, 2, 1980) with temps at or below 32 degrees after the 24th of February... today makes #4

Who knows what model to trust. That last storm GFS was out to lunch. And the Euro was locked on. Is the GFS on this storm??

Only time will tell.....be interesting to see what the Euro is showing coming up.

It has been kind of discouraging finding the models with such different solutions this winter.

If we wouldn't get anymore snow this season it still has been an awesome winter!!!

Edit:

Ha!!!

PREFERENCE: BLEND OF THE 12Z GFS/00Z ECMWF

CONFIDENCE: BELOW AVERAGE

http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/discussions/hpcdiscussions.php?disc=pmdhmd

Who knows what model to trust. That last storm GFS was out to lunch. And the Euro was locked on. Is the GFS on this storm??

Only time will tell.....be interesting to see what the Euro is showing coming up.

It has been kind of discouraging finding the models with such different solutions this winter.

If we don't get anymore snow this season it still has been an awesome winter!!!

I wonder if this really shows how phasing issues with GFS cause it to perform much more poorly in phasing events than when a system without a huge phase comes along.  Also wondering if the cold bias of that model is why the southward jump in allowing the boundary to set up further south by having the cold air push south faster than the warm air advection may ultimately allow.  On the other hand it could still end up right with this scenario.  One problem I have with model output being presented to the public is that the general public just doesnt understand that they are only guidance and never show perfect predictions.  Even a locked on Euro on an event doesnt have all the details correct.  Heard one person say this morning that Al Roker presented the GFS and Euro model runs... ok not a big deal... but then this person said because those models showed two different totals we will either see one foot or two feet depending on which is right... ugh lol

I wonder if this really shows how phasing issues with GFS cause it to perform much more poorly in phasing events than when a system without a huge phase comes along. Also wondering if the cold bias of that model is why the southward jump in allowing the boundary to set up further south by having the cold air push south faster than the warm air advection may ultimately allow. On the other hand it could still end up right with this scenario. One problem I have with model output being presented to the public is that the general public just doesnt understand that they are only guidance and never show perfect predictions. Even a locked on Euro on an event doesnt have all the details correct. Heard one person say this morning that Al Roker presented the GFS and Euro model runs... ok not a big deal... but then this person said because those models showed two different totals we will either see one foot or two feet depending on which is right... ugh lol

djr5001 Good post!!

I agree no model is totally correct. That is why they use a blend of models to try and come up with a finial solution.

Once again thanks to everyone for sharing their thoughts on this storm!

Archived