Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA & The Fringes - February 2014 Pt. VI

2001kx

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

12z GGEM south of us, right?

Both of these models have a two pronged approach where emphasis is on the first wave, and both models (as well as the SREF) don't quite have the thermal boundaries south enough and introduce mixing/rain issues for the southern tier and more. The emphasized first wave pushes the boundary south when the second wave runs up. I would suspect the models' handling of the energy ejecting out of the southwest is having a pretty good influence on the model inconsistencies we have currently.

Ideally, I would like to see this come out in one piece. I think a two pronged approach would put a noticeable dent in the top end accumulation potential and perhaps introduce precip issues if the first wave comes in too fast. I still think the latter is less likely, the NAM seems a bit too warm and I don't think it's really resolving where the frontal boundary will be quite yet. But with the PV flexing it's muscle and the frontal boundary pressing south its gonna be one wave or the other (probably the first) if we end up with two low pressure waves... and thus potentially more of a widespread 4-6" type event for central/southern PA vs what could be easily a 10-12"+ type event. 

Both of these models have a two pronged approach where emphasis is on the first wave, and both models (as well as the SREF) don't quite have the thermal boundaries south enough and introduce mixing/rain issues for the southern tier and more. The emphasized first wave pushes the boundary south when the second wave runs up. I would suspect the models' handling of the energy ejecting out of the southwest is having a pretty good influence on the model inconsistencies we have currently.

Ideally, I would like to see this come out in one piece. I think a two pronged approach would put a noticeable dent in the top end accumulation potential and perhaps introduce precip issues if the first wave comes in too fast. I still think the latter is less likely, the NAM seems a bit too warm and I don't think it's really resolving where the frontal boundary will be quite yet. But with the PV flexing it's muscle and the frontal boundary pressing south its gonna be one wave or the other (probably the first) if we end up with two low pressure waves... and thus potentially more of a widespread 4-6" type event for central/southern PA vs what could be easily a 10-12"+ type event.

Thanks Mag

I agree with this totally, only I think its obvioius there will be at least some energy out ahead with that first wave.  I think we need to hope that is minor and the second wave ends up being the bigger event and can be more amped and thus come north.  If the first wave amps too much it will be too warm so I dont see much potential for that to be a big deal for us.

Thanks Mag

Mag thank you also!

I just looked at Earl Barker's NAM page and the 0z gives Schuylkill County a 1-2 inch snowfall...lol

From the snow maps I saw we're stuck in the middle between the north and south waves on the NAM... Text data shows ABE .69 and AVP .62 though.

Also... RGEM looks really good for the 1st wave for I 80 in PA... Nice few hours of snow, wave 2 probably would go way south.

From the snow maps I saw we're stuck in the middle between the north and south waves on the NAM... Text data shows ABE .69 and AVP .62 though.

Also... RGEM looks really good for the 1st wave for I 80 in PA... Nice few hours of snow, wave 2 probably would go way south.

Glad you quoted my post. I wanted to edit it and deleted it by mistake...

Archived